Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Early "navy" of romanian countrys, Medieval History
Iamandi
Posted: December 07, 2004 10:10 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Group: Members
Member No.: 319

Anyone know more about valchians and moldavians ship owners? About ship names? About how far they make commerce? Out of Mediteranean Sea?

I also want to know more about "barladeni" - mans from Barlad, and the role played by them in history?

More about that "messer morunomate" - Oalde Mana de Fier (Iron Hand)? About ... piracy?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Imperialist
Posted: July 20, 2005 12:28 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (Iamandi @ Dec 7 2004, 10:10 AM)
Anyone know more about valchians and moldavians ship owners? About ship names? About how far they make commerce? Out of Mediteranean Sea?

I also want to know more about "barladeni" - mans from Barlad, and the role played by them in history?

More about that "messer morunomate" - Oalde Mana de Fier (Iron Hand)? About ... piracy?

Iama

Moldavia's fleet had commercial relations with Kaffa, in Crimea, and with a genoese colony at the mouth of the Dnieper (Nipru).
Moldavia's main port was Chilia.
From what I know the moldavian and wallachian fleets were limited to the Black Sea and the Danube, they did not venture outside in the mediteranean, probably because they had to pass through the Straits.

--------------------
I
PM
Mareşal Boboescu
Posted: July 20, 2005 05:59 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 397

There is record of a type of ship that sailed durin Stefan cel Mare's reign (1457-1504, Moldova) called Panzar or better said Panzar moldovenesc. There was a very interesting initiative last year that a panzar should be built, last year being the official Stefan cel Mare year (500 years since his death). There is a very interesting site called www.panzar.home.ro that support the idea.

HONOR ET PATRIA

Ml. B.
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: July 20, 2005 06:15 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

I think this is the model of that Moldavian sail ship.

user posted image
Source: Romanian Navy Museum
PM
Imperialist
Posted: July 21, 2005 04:20 am
Quote Post

General de armata

I come with a follow up on my first message.
I found out that Stefan cel Mare built a lighthouse on Mount Athos, and apparently moldavian ships were active in the area for him to take that decision.

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: August 25, 2005 11:04 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Iama, watch today the news on Realitatea TV. They have a piece on a 6 day sail from Galati to the Black Sea. Made with a reconstructed moldavian Panzar, active 500 years ago in moldavian waters.

Here are some pictures I took (sorry if the quality is not too good):

user posted image

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: August 25, 2005 11:05 am
Quote Post

General de armata

another one

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
I
PM
Carol I
Posted: August 25, 2005 07:31 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

Some other photos:

user posted image
Source: România liberă

user posted image
Source: Jurnalul naţional
PM
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: August 25, 2005 07:51 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 328

Iamandi, I remember reading a book (during comunist times) called "Luntrasii lui Vlad Voda" maybe I can find it and see what was about - I think it talked about a fleet of small boats "luntrii" used against the turks (but I am not sure since it has been so long since I read it). I guess 90% of the content is made up as for a nice novel but there must have some 10% truth in it smile.gif
PMUsers Website
Iamandi
Posted: August 26, 2005 05:34 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

Thanks guys! Nothing yet about Oalde Mana de fier?

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Dan Po
Posted: September 04, 2005 03:38 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 226

At Zographu monastery (Mount Athos) can be find this inscription:

„Io, Stefan Voievod cu mila lui Dumnezeu, domn al Tîrii Moldovei, fiul lui Bogdan Voievod, am zidit acest turn pentru corabii în anul 6982 (1475)”

I Stephen Voievod, by Grace of God, ruler of the Moldovian Country, son of Bogdan Voievod, I erected this tower for ships in the year 6982 (1475).

Also, a otoman oficial document from 9 July 1456 (so called "firman") give to moldovians a license for naval trade.

This post has been edited by Dan Po on September 04, 2005 03:39 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: September 04, 2005 05:14 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Just nitpicking. "Io" of Medieval Romanian is not the slang "eu"= I of today. It was a formula used only by the domn and no one else. It was an invocation of God IIRC.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Dan Po
Posted: September 04, 2005 05:16 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 226

I agree with you. In fact i know this thing but I wasn t atentive. so ....... thank you ! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Dan Po on September 04, 2005 05:17 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
SiG
Posted: October 31, 2005 01:21 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 616

Hello! I found an interesting article about the naval forces of Mihai Viteazul in an old issue of Magazin Istoric. It says that Mihai tried very hard to control the lower Danube so as to interrupt Ottoman comunications with the battlefields in Hungary. The core of his force consisted of 3 Galleys captured in the first year of the uprising, but he mostly used small boats. He allso used slightly larger vessels called saici. These were sailing river boats with flat bottom.
The Ottomans moving on the Danube had to travel in large convoys and were constantly exposed to ambushes and harassment by Vallachian raiders. Mihai allso used his boats to raid the turkish side of the Danube. In 1596, a force of 2000 soldiers with 200 boats launched an attack against in the Babadag region in northern Dobrogea. In 1598, Mihai assaulted the fortress of Nicopolis with 1500 boats and 8000 men.
Apparently, the Vallachians allso conducted operations on the Black Sea, allthough sources are very poor on this subject. Apparently, the Turks sent a squadron of 18 galleys to fight against Mihai, of which 4 were lost.

Source: Magazin Istoric nr.11/1973
PMEmail Poster
Cristian
Posted: February 16, 2007 03:33 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 415

Pictures taken few days ago in Galati

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0253 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]