Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format Forum > Western Front (1944-1945) > Notes from Campaign in Czechoslovakia ...

Posted by: 21 inf June 08, 2012 03:48 pm
Notes from Campaign in Czechoslovakia with Romanian 7th Army Corp
(18th of January 1945 – 9th of May 1945)

by colonel (reserve) Ioan N. Mailat

unpublished manuscript

fragments translated from Romanian into English

From 26th of December 1945 Romanian 4th Army Corp was operating in the area Luborec-Lucenec-Halic and Maskova under the command of 27th Soviet Army. At 15th of January 1945 the Romanian 7th Army Corp was taken from the battle of Budapest and sent to Javorina Massive in order to join Romanian 4th Army Corp.

Romanian 4th Army Corp (made from Romanian 2nd and 3rd Mountain Divisions), together with Romanian 7th Army Corp (made from Romanian 2nd and 19th Infantry Divisions and 9th Cavalry Division), entered under the authority of Romanian 1st Army Headquarter at 22nd of January 1945, after they crossed the Ipel river at 18th of January 1945. In the Hungarian campaign, Romanian 7th Army Corp participated with 1529 oficers, 1768 NCO’s and 33.051 soldiers, having losses of 365 oficers, 378 NCO’s and 9.965 soldiers (almost 33% of it’s men) until 15th of January 1945. The march of Romanian 7th Army Corp toward Czechoslovakia started on 15th of January 1945 from Budapest. For 3 days and 3 night, the Romanian 7th Army Corp marched on foot on deep snow, of half a meter high, occupying it’s sector at Ipel river on 18th of January 1945, between Soviet 53rd Army (at west) and Soviet 40 Army (at est). The general direction took by Romanian 7th Army Corp was Senograd-Dobra Niva. The terrain in front of the Romanian 7th Army Corp was with heavy forest, well organized for defense by German 8th Army. In front of Romanian 1st Army were on defense positions German 76th Infantry Division and 8th Hunters (in Romanian manuscript in original “vânători” – maybe Grenadiers?), with great number of artillery and tanks.

2. Operations of Romanian 4th Army Corp on Ipel at south-eastern border of Czechoslovakia and Lucenec area

Romanian 4th Army Corp, made from Romanian 2nd and 3rd Mountain Divisions, entered on 26th of December 1944 on Czechoslovakian soil, south of Ipel river, after defeating the resistence of German 76th Infantry Division, after 4 days of heavy fightings. Romanian 4th Corp had as neighbor on east Soviet 35th Army Corp from Soviet 27th Army, operating toward Lucenec, and on west Soviet 3rd Airborne Division, operating in Luborec area. After defeating German 76th Infantry Division at Hungarian-Czechoslovakian border, Romanian 4th Army Corp pursued it toward Ipel river, between 27th – 29th of December 1944, having heavy fights with german rear-guards for 30 kilometers.

Units from German 76th Infantry Division organized a hastily defense 5-6 kilometers south of Ipel river, trying to buy time for their main forces to built a main line of defense at the north of the river. Romanian troops gave no rest to these german troops, attacking violently in 30 and 31st of December 1944, breaking the german defense and reaching Ipel river. On 31st of December 1944, Headquarter of Romanian 4th Army ordered Romanian 3rd Mountain Division to attack german troops from Ipolytarnok town, while Romanian 2nd Mountain Division attacked from the south of the town. Until evening, german resistance was broke by street fight and the last enemy resistance south of Ipel river ceased to exist. German troops fled north of Ipel river, preparing a new line of resistance.

A regrouping of Romanian forces followed, after Romanian 7th Army Corp was brought in this area, south of Javorina Massive, when both Romanian Army Corps entered under authority of Romanian 1st Army at 22nd of January 1945.

At 1st of January 1945 Romanian 2nd Mountain Division managed to cross Ipel river with improvised means and created a strong beachhead north of the river.

Because Maskova Valley, an affluent of Ipel, opened a way toward north, in the back of German troops which defended the communication and resistance point from Lucenec, Romanian 4th Army Corp receive the order to attack in this valley with the mission to make easier the soviet attack against this town. After 3 days of heavy fight, Velika is liberated at 4th of January 1945 by Romanian mountain troops. The fight continued without a break and after bloody attacks, Romanian 3rd Mountain Division liberated Jelesovec, a strong enemy resistance point.

In order to break the German resistance on the line Luborek-Maskova-Lucenec, Soviet and Romanian forces prepared an offensive which started at 12th of January 1945. Soviet 27th Army managed to liberate Lucenec after street fight with strong German forces, while Romanian 4th Army Corp turned the German defence on a north-west direction. Romanian 4th Army Corp operated on the direction Jelesovec-Halic. On 14th of January, Soviet 3rd Airborne Division, in cooperation with Romanian 3rd Mountain Division, managed to liberate Luborec.

On 17th of January 1945, the 6th Battalion from Romanian 3rd Mountain Division managed to enter Maskova, but on the next day was thrown back by a strong German counterattack. Because Germans brought heavy reinforcements, Romanian 4th Army Corp operated only localy until 24th of January 1945.
Losses: (only officers and NCO's included)

At Roda Maskova was killed sergeant-major Croitoru Ion, from Romanian 36th Antitank Regiment, in action against German armoured.

At Velike were killed in 3rd of January 1945 second lieutenant (sublocotenent) Simionică Constantin (born in Tulcea) and sergeant-major Stănculescu Dumitru (born in Caracal), from 5th Battalion from Romanian 3rd Mountain Division.

At Lehotka was killed in 16th of January 1945 sergeant-major Drăgan Iosif (born in Globurău, Severin) from 5th Battalion from Romanian 3rd Mountain Division.

At Maskova was killed in 18th of January 1945 sergeant-major Orbuleţ Marin (born in Cârcea, Dolj), from 6th Battalion from Romanian 3rd Mountain Division.

At Jelesovek was killed in 16th of January lieutenant Drâmba Mircea (born in Brăila) from 12 Battalion from Romanian 3rd Mountain Division.

At Samota, south-east of Lucenec, was killed in 27th of December 1944 second lieutenant Urlăţeanu Alexandru (born in Petroşani, Muscel) from 5th Mountain Group from Romanian 2nd Mountain Division.

At Turie Pole, south of Javorina 1044 Height, was killed in 7th of January 1945 sergeant-major Bodinescu Gheorghe (born in Erhivita, Mehedinţi), from 7th Mountain Battalion from Romanian 2nd Mountain Division.

At Maskova was killed in 18th of January 1945 sergeant-major Jelesneac Petre (born in Bairamcea, Cetatea Albă) from 15th Mountain Battalion from Romanian 2nd Mountain Division.

At Luborek area was killed in 16th of January 1945 lieutenant (reserve) Ungureanu Ioan (born in Strehaia, Mehedinţi) from 10th Mountain Battalion from Romanian 2nd Mountain Division. In the same area was killed in 18th of January 1945 sergeant-major Ciobanu Niculae (born in Turnu Severin), from the same battalion.

In the same area in 18th of January 1945 was killed sergeant-major Parlea Iulian (born in Işalniţa, Dolj) from 16th Mountain Battalion from Romanian 2nd Mountain Division.

In the attacks of Luborec was killed in 12th of January 1945 sergeant-major Drăgan Scarlat (born in Viişoara, Constanţa) from 2nd Mountain Artillery Section from Romanian 2nd Mountain Division. In 15th of January 1945 was killed in the same attacks second lieutenant Dascălu Constantin (born in Fântânele, Botoşani), from the same unit.

Posted by: 21 inf June 08, 2012 06:46 pm
3. Making contact with enemy (18th of January – 25th of January)

Romanian 7th Army Corp, crossing the Czechoslovakian border with it’s vanguard at 18th of January 1945, concentrated the bulk of his forces in Modri-Kamen – south Brusnik area until 22nd of January 1945, subordinating together with Romanian 4th Army Corp to Romanian 1st Army and making contact with the German rearguard from 76th Infantry Division and 8th Vânători (like this in original!) Division. At 4th of January Romanian 10th Infantry Division entered in the fighting area of Romanian 7th Army Corp after a forced march under blizzard and snow.

In this situation Romanian 1st Army took a defensive stance at 25th of January 1945 after the contact was made with the enemy who was well organized on the field on the general line St. Halik – south Senne – south Suche Brezovo and had on the main points concrete pillboxes provided with many automatic weapons.

The operations of Romanian 10th Infantry Division toward Oremovlaz and 9th Cavalry Division toward west Litava during making the contact with the enemy, in the blizzard, proved that the Germans were well organized in depth and had the will to oppose a stiffened resistance. In order to identify the German forces from the front of it’s positions, Romanian 1st Army held it’s defensive stance until 26th of January 1945, planning to pursue the enemy if he intended to retreat north.

Assessing the strength of German defense, Romanians decided to attack in narrow sectors, using the firepower of artillery hammers and of automatic weapons to protect the advance of their own units and to avoid losses of men.

After a discussion with general Macici Nicolaie, commander of Romanian 1st Army, assisted by staff officer major Miloşoiu Ion from 1st Section “Organizare” of the Army, the decision of sparing the men’s life was taken. With this idea in mind the attacks were to be done with small units in 1st line, heavily supported by artillery and mortars. Saving the men’s life was a necessity, as Romanian 7th Army Corp lost 11.000 men in the Battle of Budapest. This mentality was later adopted by general Atanasiu Vasile who took Romanian 1st Army’s command at 12th of February 1945 general Vărtejeanu Eugen who took command of Romanian 7th Army Corp at 16th of February 1945, later general Niculescu Radu Cociu who took over the command of Romanian 7th Army Corp from 8th of April 1945 to the end of the war. (…)

Romanian Army Corps remained in defense until 29th of January 1945, when the order of offensive came.

Bravery at Romanian 7th Army Corp

During taking contact with enemy on Slovakian soil died in combat second lieutenant (reserve) Gropsan Dumitru from Craiova and captain Aldea Niculaie, both from 9th Artillery Regiment, the first on 24th of January, the second at 25th of January at the field form Pravica Litke.

Also died in combat at 25th of January 1945 at Horna Strahare second lieutenants (reserve) Atanasiu Ion and Raţiu Valeriu, both from 38th Infantery Regiment Brăila, from Romanian 10th Division. The first was from Brăila, the second from Turda. In the same day died second lieutenant Ciocârlie Nicolae (born in Dermeşti-Muscel) from 96th Infantry Regiment at Horna Stregova, then at 27th of January 1945, sergeant major (plutonier major) Siclitaru Constantin (born at Risipiţi-Dolj) from 94th Infantry Regiment at Dol. Stregova. Also died in combat second lieutenant Popa Ioan (born at Olteniţa-Ilfov) at Horna Stregova and sergeant major Ioan Dumitru killed in action in 25th of January 1945 at Zinclava.

Romanian 19th Supply Group lost sergeant (plutonier) TR Pîrvu Gheorghe (born Eselniţa-Severin) during supplying the troops.

From 7th Heavy Artillery Regiment was killed sergeant major Păun Gheorghe who directed the artillery fire from an advanced position, from infantry lines, against enemy objectives from Dolny Stregova at 26th of January 1945.

At 4th Army Corp

At 2nd Mountain Division

Captain Ursu Florea (born in Comana-Vâlcea), from 4th Mountain Artillery “division” was killed at 24th of January 1945 while directing artillery fire during the crossing of Ipel river, under strong enemy fire in the area of Iploytarnok village. In the same day was killed in the front of his troops lieutenant (reserve) Poliş Gheorghe (born in Caporal Alexa-Arad) from 8th Mountain Battalion, at Luborek. Also in Luborek was killed in action in the next day lieutenant (reserve) Solomon Vasile (born in Proştea Mare-Târnava Mică), from 7th Mountain Battalion.

At 3rd Mountain Division

At 20th of January was killed in action at Jelsoc second lieutenant (reserve) Sinu Eugen (born in Turda Băi), from 12th Mountain Battalion. Next day was killed in action sergeant major TR Brăilă Ilie (born in Berzascu-Caraş) at Maskova. From 6th Mountain Battalion was killed in the same village sergeant major Niţă I. Mihai (born in Domneşti-Botoşani). In hand-to-hand fight was killed at Maskova at 25th of January sergeant major TR Tatoană Niculae (born in Malul-Vlaşca), from 22nd Mountain Battalion. 3rd Police Company had lost sergeant major Săndulescu Aurel at 23rd of January on the Valey of Ipel river.
4, Probing the enemy first line of resistance 26th of January – 9th of February 1945

Keeping it’s plan to pierce the enemy resistance using massive artillery fire on narrow sectors, Romanian 1st Army decided to attack with the 10th Infantry Division from 7th Army Corp. Having recently arrived on the battlefield from Romania, 10th Infantry Division had complete number of fighters, so she was thrown into battle in direction of Oremov Laz- Dobra Niva, supported by more than 32 artillery batteries, in order to determine the exact emplacement of enemy positions. In the same time, Romanian 4th Army Corp attack on the right flank of Romanian 1st Army, intending to make a demonstration in the general direction east Turie Pole-1044 Height Iavornik- Dobra Niva, in order to engage as much German forces she could, to ease the attack of Romanian 7th Army Corp.

Before the main attack, local battle occurred in order to improve the attack positions on more favorable heights. The local battles were carried against German 76 and 8th Divisions. During this fights Romanian 10th Division successively attacked 665 Height, in the area Lest-Mocear. Romanian 23rd Infantry Regiment attacked this height from 3rd to 5th of February 1945. During these attacks were killed in action second lieutenants (reserve) Teodorescu Iancu (born in Pietraru-Dâmboviţa) and Stănescu Filimon (born in Bucharest) and sergeant majors Varnea Dumitru (born in Păstrăveni-Neamţ), Aldoiu Gh. Ioan (born in Modelu-Ialomiţa), Cadar Andrei (born in Cuza Vodă-Roman) and Spiridon Niculae (born in Căciuleşti-Neamţ).

Romanian 33rd Infantry Regiment fight for taking 662 Height and the height nord-west of Mocear between 31st of January-7th of February 1945, having killed in action second lieutenants Nichiceanu Aurel (born in Vulcani-Timiş), Secară Alexandru (born in Bucharest), Mărunţelu Ion (born in Adamclisi, Dobrogea), Petrescu Nicolae (born in Aiud-Alba), Chivu St. Gheorghe (born in Făcăieni-Ialomiţa) and Horia Iulius and sergeant majors Anghel Nicolae (born in Aiud-Alba) and Nedelcu R. Ioan (born in Crampa-Olt).

Romanian 38th Infantry Regiment participated at fights from east of Lest on 31st of January. On 6th of February attacked enemy resistance from 665 Height, south of Oremoz Laz, and broke it. The regiment lost captain Ilie Nedelcu (born in Mircea Vodă-Brăila) and his second lieutenants Niculescu Luca (born in Dărmăneşti-Prahova), Beşliu D. Ioan (born in Gogoşi-Dolj) and Ungureanu Iuliu (born in Tia). Romanian 2nd Infantry Division participated to fights breaking enemy resistance in Lest area between 2nd to 9th of February, having as objective 621 Height. This height was of capital importance in the plans of Romanian 1st Army for the attacks in the direction Oremov Laz-Dobra Niva, having the aim to reach Gron river west of Zvolen city. In Lest area were killed in action second lieutenant Popescu Mihai (born in Panciu-Putna), plutonier Iacob Ioan (born in Urzicuţa-Dolj) and segeant major Tudose Octav (born in Poieni-Tecuci), all of them from 26th Dorobanţi Regiment Rovine. Also died in action second lieutenant Chibulenţeanu Pavel (born in Turda) and sergeant major Ciurea Iulian (born in Catane-Dolj) from 31st Dorobanţi Regiment Calafat. Then, segeant majors Rurcitu Constantin (born in Terpeziţa-Dolj) and Ciolacu Teodor (born in Cernele-Dolj), both from 1st Dorobanţi Regiment Dolj.

Romanian 19th Infantry Division participated at fights in Dociovlan-Homa-Strehova area, loosing in battle sergeant major Oancea Simion from 94th Artillery Regiment at 6th of February and sergeant major Popovici Dumitru from 96th Infantry Regiment at 8th of February.

Romanian 4th Army Corp had the following losses during probing enemy first line of resistance:

At 2nd Mountain Division

In Turie Pole area was killed in action at 4th of February second lieutenant (reserve) Lechitan Alfred (born in Maciu-Cluj), from 7th Mountain Battalion.

From 8th Mountain Battalion was killed south of Dol. Tisovnic at 4th of February plutonier adjutant Aştefănoaiei Constantin (born in Paşcani-Baia).

5th Mountain Battalion lost at Turie Polie at 7th of February lieutenant (reserve) Popovici Octav from Iaşi.

16th Mountain Battalion lost in fights at Luborec on 4th of February sergeant major Popescu Ioan from Mozăceni-Argeş.

2nd Mountain Artillery “divizion” lost in Luborec area fights sergeant major Catran G. Gavrilă from Tulca-Bihor at 6th of February, while he directed artillery fire from the first line.

At 3rd Mountain Division

From 12th Mountain Battalion was killed in fight at Hor. Tisovnoc at 5th of February plutonier TR Stoica I. Eremia from Geoagiu-Hunedoara. 22nd Mountain Battalion lost at Dol. Tisovnic second lieutenant (reserve) Popa Dumitru from Gabrăneşti-Ilfov at 5th of February and at 8th of February second lieutenant (reserve) Guran Dumitru from Gogoşi-Mehedinţi.

Posted by: Petre June 09, 2012 07:34 am

Posted by: 21 inf June 09, 2012 09:02 am
5. Rupture attack against first enemy resistance line 10th of February – 26th of February 1945

In 10 days of continuous fight on snowed and rough terrain, under heavy blizzard, the penetration of enemy defensive system of Iavorina Massive was possible only on a 7-8 kilometers depth. Between 7th – 10th of February 1945 Romanian operations were halted in order to allow troops to rest and general Paul Alexiu, commander of Army’s artillery to organize the mass action of his cannons in order to implement a rupture attack which would broke the enemy defense. Romanian 1st Army’s Headquarter was put in charge with the action of rupturing the enemy line of defense. The general attack was to be give front the line the troops occupied: north-west Litava-662 Height-south-east Gorni Tisovnic, the effort of Romanian 7th Army Corp being on a strip 16 kilometers wide, in the direction Oremov Laz-Sasa, with the aim to occupy in the first stages Oremov Laz area and after the enemy resistance from Senograd would be turned, to occupy the Krupina-Dobra Niva line and to open it’s way north-east of Iavorina Massive in the Valley of Gron river.

Romanian 4th Army Corp had the mission to pin down as many enemy forces it would be possible, by secondary attacks, contributing in this way to the success of the main attack in the right sector of Romanian 1st Army, south-west of Turie Polie-south-east Horni Tisovnic. The offensive was started by Romanian 4th Army Corp in the morning of 10th of February, without artillery preparation, surprising the enemy defense. Romanian 7th Army Corp started the offensive one hour later, after 30 minutes of artillery preparation, supported by more than 130 artillery pieces which pounded the enemy positions in the front of Romanian 10th Infantry Division, after that the infantry going forward.

The day of 10th of February was unlucky for Romanian forces. After less an hour the attack started, a dense fog came down on the battlefield and after the fog dissipated, a heavy blizzard started, blinding the artillery observers, the cannons being unable to support the infantry against enemy positions. At the beginning, the attack was impetuous, even if the terrain was on abrupt slope and covered with 1 meter of snow.

Lacking artillery support, Romanian infantry started to sustain heavy losses and the speed of attack slowed down. Meanwhile, German riflemen, well entrenched, could easily shoot the Romanian combatants who were advancing. In the front of German positions the Romanian soldiers had the unpleasant surprise to stumble upon untouched barbed wire, who had from place to place mine fields invisible due to snow. Despite all these, Romanian 32nd Infantry Regiment managed to enter in the enemy defense system and to occupy a 20 meters long pillbox, 1,5 meters wide and 2 meters height, build from stone and cement with 0,7 meters thick wooden logs roof, covered with a thick layer of earth. (…)

Romanian 4th Army Corp managed to infiltrate enemy lines, the Mountain battalions of 2nd and 3rd Divisions using the rough terrain to camouflage their advance. By bold actions, using flank and from behind attacks, the Mountain troops managed to conquer in the second day of offensive the villages of Gorni Tisovnic, Turie Polie and Hrabcov.

Until 15th of February, Romanian 4th Army Corp managed to enter 4-6 kilometers in the enemy defensive system, threatening to reverse from north the enemy positions from Oremov-Laz area, which was considered as heavily fortified. Romanian 10th Infantry Division, with it’s ranks more and more depleted, managed to approach within 1 kilometer of Oremov Laz.

General Vasile Atanasiu took over the command of Romanian 1st Army at 12th of February (…). Seeing that in the area of action of Romanian 4th Army Corp the results are not so good as in the attack area of Romanian 7th Army Corp, he decided to turn the German defense from Oremov Laz area from north-east with the 4th Army Corp and from south-west with 7th Army Corp. Indeed, Mountain troops from 3rd Mountain Division managed to get closer to 1044 Height, Iavornik, the highest peak from Iavorina Massive, on 17th of February, climbing on steep slopes covered with waist deep snow, carrying the weapons on sleds pulled by men. In this way, German defense from Oremov Laz area took a deadly blow.

As result, on 18th of February, Romanian 10th Infantry Division resumed it’s attack and after heavy fights managed to envelop Oremov Laz area from both flanks and to occupy it until evening, forcing a part of German 76th Infantry Division who managed to avoid encirclement to retreat toward west.

On 21st of February general Vasile Atanasiu ordered Romanian troops to halt on the line they reached, because the offensive couldn’t go further with very tired troops on the rough terrain almost 80% covered with woods and because the German commander who defended the rocade communication of Krupina-Dobra Niva brought troops to defend the well fortified positions he held.

On 16th of February general Eugen Vărtejeanu took over the command of Romanian 7th Army Corp (…). From 21st to 25th of February it was ordered the troops to be rested and was asked to the Soviet Headquarter reinforcements and material in order to crush enemy resistance who couldn’t be annihilated otherwise without great loss of human life. So, Romanian 1st Army received as reinforcement the following Soviet great units: 3 artillery brigades, 4 mine throwers regiments, 1 antitank brigade, 1 tank regiment and 2 aircraft divisions.

The enemy defense was supported by wooded 1024 Height, situated 4 kilometers north of 1044 Iavornik Height – wooded 777 Height – Heights from 2,5 kilometers east of Senograd, very strong organized with concrete pillboxes, defensive ditches, barbed wire and mine fields.

Romanian 1st Army, planning to make it’s effort on it’s right flank, reinforced 4th Army Corp, who had initially 2nd and 3rd Mountain Divisions, with 2nd and 10th Infantry Divisions.

For the attack of this enemy position, Headquarter of Romanian 1st Army and it’s subordinate units well prepared the support of artillery, tanks and aviation, under the supervision of general Paul Alexiu, commander of Army’s artillery. The offensive plan kept the idea of attacking on narrow fronts with heavy fire support, especially from artillery.

After a massive artillery preparation which lasted for 40 minutes, Romanian 7th and 4th Army Corps started the offensive in the morning of 25th of February, under a clear sky. Due to the Romanian and Soviet artillery support, Romanian 7th Army Corp, commanded by general Mihail Lăcătuşu, conquered with 9th Cavalry Division and 19th Infantry Division the 777 Height and Senograd, and Romanian 4th Army Corp, commanded by general Ion Boiţeanu, occupied until 26th of February the 1024 Height from Iavorina Mountains, fighting on half a meter deep snow.

General Vasile Atanasiu cited by Order of the Day nr. 13 from 27th of February 1945 the Romanian 7th Army Corp for the bravery showed on 25th-26th of February, with 9th Cavalry Division and 19th Infantry Division for breaking the fortified enemy front from south-west Oremov Laz region on a front 10 kilometers wide, entering 5-6 kilometers in depth, conquering the 695 and 777 Heights, communication point Senograd and other 9 villages. (…)

Romanian 10th Infantry Division, being ordered to make the main effort of 7th Army Corp, had the greatest losses. 23rd Infantry Regiment had lost killed in action in the fight for 725 Height at Oremov Laz:
-at 10th of February, second lieutenants (reserve) Popescu Stelian from Râmnicu Sărat and Stroiescu Alexandru from Pucioasa
-at 11th of February, second lieutenant (reserve) Popenciu Vasile from Comarnic-Prahova
-at 12th of February, second lieutenant Plăcintă Ion from Pucioasa-Dâmboviţa
-at 17th of February, second lieutenant Alexa Nicolaie from Lespezi-Baia and sergeant major Ohai Gheorghe from Bildare-Argeş
-at 13rd of February, major Bratu Ion from Sibiu, second lieutenant Văcărescu Adrian from Călăraşi-Ialomiţa and sergeant major Drăghici Gheorghe from Ştefăneşti-Ialomiţa
-at 14th of February, second lieutenant (reserve) Lupu Traian from Piteşti-Argeş
-at 15th of February, sergeant majors Obiadă Vasile from Rasa-Ialomiţa and Lupchian Gheorghe from Călăraşi-Ialomiţa.

33rd Infantry Regiment-Tulcea lost in the fight for 652, 662 and 670 Heights from Oremov Laz area:
-at 10th of February, sergeant major TR Daviţoiu Constantin from Brădiceni-Gorj
-at 11th of February, sergeant major TR Tăutu Gh. Ştefan from Cârligaţi-Buzău
-at 14th of February, sergeant major TR Sorescu Ştefan from Vadu Soreşti-Buzău
-at 24th of February, second lieutenant Rostand Gheorghe from Sinaia-Prahova

38th Infantry Regiment-Brăila lost in fight for the heights between Oremov Laz and Lest:
-at 10th of February, captain Maxim Ion from Bucharest
-at 12nd of February, captains Horodinca Dumitru from Hapoi-Dorohoi and Băjescu Emil from Rădăuţi-Suceava, lieutenant Marcu Ionel from Bucharest, second lieutenant (reserve) Rafalet Vasile from Galaţi and sergeant major Picaş I. Tache from Corbu-Râmnicu Sărat.

Posted by: Imperialist June 09, 2012 11:41 am
Interesting thread 21inf, and you put effort into it too, but please edit your posts and use paragraphs. A huge wall of text will deter readers.

Posted by: 21 inf June 09, 2012 03:49 pm
Done. It's ok like this?

Posted by: 21 inf June 10, 2012 11:45 am
-at 17th of February, captain Dobrescu Alexandru from Turnu Măgurele
-at 18th of February, sergeant major Hurdui Paraschiv from Însurăţei-Brăila
-at 21st of February, sergeant major Drăgoi Vişan from Cegani-Ialomiţa
-at 24th of February, second lieutenant Radu I. Vasile from Galaţi and plutonier adjunct Dobrin Victor from Cotnari-Iaşi

10th Pioneer Company lost in the mine field from Oremov Laz lieutenant (reserve) Ciubuc Ştefan from Urziceni-Ialomiţa, killed by a mine that went unobserved by the officer.

2nd Infantry Division lost in the fierce battles for 621 and 711 Heights from east of Hrabca officers and soldiers who felt in the line of duty for the liberty of Slovak people, on the dear Slovak soil.

26th Dorobanţi Regiment-Rovine lost:
-at 11th of February, sergeant majors Dulman Gheorghe from Pocreanca-Iaşi and Botezan Gheorghe from Grăieşti-Tecuci.
-at 14th of February, sergeant major Ducu Ion from Boroleşti-Râmnicu Sărat
-at 16th of February, second lieutenant Roşeanu Victor from Roşiori-Vâlcea
-at 18th of February, sergeant major Anton Ion from Bordeşti-Râmnicu Sărat

1st Dorobanţi Regiment-Dolj lost during flushing out enemy from Oremov Laz sergeant major Glifelnic Alexei, killed at 25th of February while fought with a rear guard enemy group.

31st Dorobanţi Regiment-Calafat lost:
-at 10th of February, second lieutenant (reserve) Gherman Vladimir from Balueşti-Vâlcea
-at 11th of February, lieutenant Orhei Ion from Zvoriştea-Dorohoi and second lieutenant (reserve) Rotaru Gheorghe from Muntenii de Sus-Turda
-at 12th of February, second lieutenant (reserve) Popescu Florea from Pădureşti-Argeş
-at 15th of February, lieutenant (reserve) Roceanu Alexandru from Costeşti-Argeş and second liuetenant Covătaru Ioan from Horodiceni-Baia
-at 23rd of February, lieutenant Brănuţ Ioan from Nedeia-Dolj and second lieutenant Apreotesei Alexei
-at 27th of February, lieutenant (reserve) Negreanu Emil from Dândeşti-Sălaj

19th Infantry Division lost in action in Oremov Laz and Mocear from 10th to 25th of February a siginificant number of men.

94th Infantry Regiment lost the brave sergeant major Creţu Alexe from Radeş-Gorj at Mocear at 10th of February.

95th Infantry Regiment fought for 626 Height from Oremov Laz and had significant losses, including brave officers:
-at 11th of February, second lieutenant Gheorghe D. Constantin from Brebeni-Olt
-at 13th of February, sergeant major Negoiţescu Emil from Nandova-Mehedinţi
-at 16th of February, sergeant majors Radoslav Constantin from Bistriţa-Mehedinţi and Petrudescu Alexandru from the same village, brothers-in-arms.

95th Infantry Regiment lost in the fight at Mocear plutonier major Adam Constantin from Româneşti-Gorj at 18th of February and second lieutenant Secară Vasile from Buhăieşti-Vaslui at 21st of February at Modri Kamen.

9th Cavalry Division lost in the fight east of Lest captain Becleanu Ioan from divisional headquarter, born in Voineşti-Muscel, at 11th of February and in the next day was killed second lieutenant Marinescu Nicolae from Giurgiu, from 9th Horse Artillery Regiment, while he was in the advanced posts.

Captain Băbeanu Paul, comander of 1st Battalion from 96th Infantry Regiment, leading his men by personal example, pierced the enemy defense from Senograd and occupied this important communication point. From the same unit, sergeant Dorobanţu Ştefan, corporal Giurgiu Nicolae and soldier Zaharia, crawled to the enemy machine gun nests, using the terain and destroyed the enemy emplacements with well tossed hand grenades. (...)

4th Army Corp had numerous losses in the fights against enemy first line of defense between 10th to 26th of February 1945.

At 2nd Mountain Division

7th Mountain Battalion lost:
-sergeant major Halgiu Ioan from Dragoteşti-Mehedinţi at 10th of February in the fight at Hrabov Grun
-second lieutenant Vasilescu Nicolaie from Corneşti-Constanţa in the attacks against Hrabca at 12th of February
-lieutenant (reserve) Târlă Petre from Şumugiu-Bihor at 13th of February in the same attacks in Hrabca area
-second lieutenant Ionescu P. Aurel from Coleşti-Muscel at 14th of February in the follow-up attacks from Hrabca
-sergeant major Dumitriu Gheorghe from Bârlad while cleaning terrain from enemy at Hrabov-Grun at 20th of February

8th Mountain Battalion lost at 24th of February the courageous lieutenant (reserve) Dragalina Ioan, who felt leading his troops, together with a lot of his men, in the fight from Mezoesat.

16th Mountain Battalion lost in Turie Polie area fight sergeant major Năiţă Gheorghe from Manasia-Ialomiţa at 21st of February.

2nd Mountain Artillery “divizion” lost in fight at Panovlaz sergeant major Lucan Ion from Poiana-Dolj on 24th of February while attacking Turie Polie during commanding the artillery fire.

At 3rd Mountain Division

21st Mountain Battalion lost second lieutenant Iliescu V. Eugen from Târgu Mureş, who asaulted with great courage Iavornik Peak at 1044 Height at 15th of February.

6th Mountain Battalion lost at 18th of February in the front of his company lieutenant (reserve) Nizic R. Alexandru from Vaslui, at Urbanova.

5th Mountain Battalion lost sergeant major Cojocaru Constantin from Racova-Bacău at 20th of February at Turie Polie.

11th Mountain Battalion lost in fight at Dol. Tisovnic at 21st of February sergeant major Păscaru Timofte and at 22nd of February second lieutenant (reserve) Enăchescu Constantin from Fulga-Prahova and in the same day also, lieutenant (reserve) Nicolau P. Aurel in fight at Polomj-Slovacia.

12nd Mountain Battalion lost at 15th of February the brave second lieutenant (reserve) Soic Teodor in the fights for flushing out enemy from Dolni Tisovnic. 39th Mountain Pioneer Company lost during mine cleaning in Dolni Tisovnic area at 17th of February the courageous sergeant major Anghel Nicolae from Bucharest.

6. Attacking the 2nd and 3rd enemy line of resistance

German Headquarter retreated his forces from Oremov Laz Massive, where before the war was the shooting range of Czechoslovakian army, after a fierce resistance well organized in pillboxes, on a new line of resistance on wooded massive from east of Dobra Niva on the villages Plesoviţa-Zăbava-heights south-east of Krupina, with the aim to defend the communication from the rear of it’s front: Krupina-Dobra Niva-Zvolen, on the Gron.

After the breakthrough on the first enemy line of resistance was made between 25th-26th of February, the support given to Romanian 1st Army was taken back and she will remain only with 2 antitank regiments and a unit of tanks which will be given to Soviet 53rd Army who operated on the left flank of Romanian front, in the general direction Banska Stiavniţa-west Veska, on the Gron.

Because of this, Romanian 1st Army tried to metodically attack, using artillery fire concentration combined with armored support to help infantry to attack small and poorly defended enemy sectors.

On 3rd of March Romanian 4th Army Corp managed to occupy communication hub from Plesovţe, strongly defended by the enemy, and Romanian 7th Army Corp supported by Soviet armored troops and artillery from Soviet 53rd Army participated to the conquer of Krupina city. In this manner, the communication on the road and railroad from Zvolen to Gron Valley was cut, the enemy defense of this river being significantly shaken. German Headquarter was hastily prepared a 3rd line of resistance on the alignment: wooded massive Dobra Niva-Banska Stiavniţa, with the aim to preserve anyway Gron Valley defense, which had a road and a railroad of great strategic importance. Because the German troops held with strong forces the corridor between wooded massive Dobra NIva and wooded massive from east of Banska Stiavniţa, Romanian Headquarter had to resolve the problem of crossing those two wooded massives in order to envelop from both flanks the strong defense point from Dobra Niva. Because was easier to cross the wooded massive from west of Dobra Niva and, aditionally, to link the action with the one of Soviet 53rd Army, which attacked toward Banska Stiavniţa, Romanian 1st Army decided at 4th of March to move her effort to west, in the offensive strip of Romanian 7th Army Corp and in this manner changed the direction of the attack toward Dobra Niva-Gunda. Romanian 7th Army Corp started the enveloping movement in west and Romanian 4th Army Corp in the east of defensive point from Dobra Niva. The Romanian units sneaked with ability on the wooded areas in order to take the enemy positions from behind. Enemy positions held a continuous line between the two wooded massives and were held by German 8th Vânători Division, suported from south by German 4th Armored Division. By a large enveloping movement, Romanian 19th Infantry Division managed at 8th of March to turn the enemy resistance from the height north-west of Dobra Niva and Romanian 3rd Mountain Division to occupy the wooded heights from north-east of the city thru hand-to-hand fights. Meanwhile, Romanian 2nd Infantry Division attacked Dobra Niva city frontally, simultaneous with a flank attack given by Romanian 10th Infantry Division from the west, and entered the city, flushing out the enemy troops which were still resisting.

In order to support German 8th Division, German 4th Armored Division counterattacked Romanian troops inflicting heavy losses, allowing German 8th Division to establish a 3rd line of defense in Iavorina Massive on the line Brezniţa-Kozelnic. This alignment will be reached by Romanian troops between 12th-14th of March.

In order to give weight to the effort in the left flank, Romanian 1st Army moved the 3rd Mountain Division in reserve and inserted it in the offensive strip of Romanian 7th Army Corp.

By a large enveloping maneuver from west, Romanian 3rd Mountain Division managed to conquer the 685 Height at 12th of March keeping the contact with units from the left flank of Romanian 7th Army Corp, but couldn’t manage to push more to north-west, stopping at 14th of March in the front of enemy resistance line Brezniţa-Kozelnik. Romanian 1st Army kept it’s offensive going at 15th of March, making the main effort with it’s left, in the offensive strip of 7th Army Corp, with the aim to break the resistance of enemy 3rd line in Kozelnik area, simultaneous with and enveloping from east, made by 4th Army Corp. 3rd Mountain Division, strongly supported by artillery, managed to enter 6 kilometers deep in enemy defense, the other divisions managing to advance 3-4 kilometers despite German desperate opposition.

Kozelnik was liberated by Romanian 3rd Mountain Division. The village was the main point of enemy resistance on the left flank of the army and Romanian 5th Mountain Group, heavily supported by 64th Artillery “divizion” from Romanian 2nd Mountain Division, managed to take by hand-to-hand fight the heights and communication hub Breziny.

By the double maneuver of enveloping, the 3rd line of enemy resistance collapsed and the way of Romanian troops on the Valley of Gron was opened.

In the sector of Romanian 4th Army Corp, 9th Infantry Division sustained heavy fights in Breziny-Ostra Luka area in the days of 15th and 16th of March, when Gron was reached west of Zvolen. Germans abandoned terrain south of Gron Valley only after bitter fight, but kept some pockets of resistance. Because of this, 2nd Battalion from 26th Dorobanţi Regiment-Rovine, comanded by major Popescu T. Eugen had a heavy fight for taking the mill from the crossroad of Zvolen-Dobra Niva and Zvolen-Ostra Luka roads, on the shores of Gron river. This officer will be killed in the fight for 680 Height at 15th of March, when at 18.00 hours a projectile mortally wounded him. Thus, Romanian 2nd Infantry Division lost one of it’s most brave officers. (…)

The whirling waves of Gron river were reached by Romanian troops in Brezniţa-Ostra Luka area at 18th of March and at 19th of March the terrain was cleared by the last enemy units which still sporadically fought north of Kozelnik and east of Vieska.

Once the snow was melting, the enemy defensive system from Iavorina Massive collapsed after 36 days of uninterupted fights (...)

At 9th Cavalry Division died in fight at Babina sergeant major Zaharia Marcu from Stănileşti-Fălciu, from 3rd Roşiori Regiment at 6th of March and lieutenant (reserve) Dan Teofil from Vânători-Târnava Mare at 7th of March.

At 19th Infantry Division

While clearing the terrain from enemy in Senograd died on 27th of February sergeant majors Diculescu Constantin from Pietrari-Dâmboviţa and Dan Nedelea from Cioroi-Romanaţi, both from 95th Infantry Regiment. From the same brave regiment felt on the battlefield while attacking 777 Height near Oremov Laz second lieutenant Nicoară Dionisie from Apold-Sibiu. While fighting to break the 2nd enemy line of defense, 95th Infantry Regiment lost at 4th of March in the fight from Plesovţe lieutenant Savu Manta from Turcineşti-Dolj and sergeant major Riţiu Ioan from Târnăveni-Târnava Mare and on 6th of March at Sasa the brave captain Sîrbu Constantin from Voineşti-Muscel and the fearless plutonier major Popescu Emanoil from Zegaia-Mehedinţi in the fight from Dubova.

94th Infantry Regiment lost while breaking the enemy 2nd line of defense at 8th of March second lieutenant Chinta Ilie from Ocolişu-Satu Mare, who was heavily wounded and died at 1st Campaign Hospital.

96th Infantry Regiment lost at Lehotca at 6th of March sergeant major Telişte Gheorghe from Mincani-Dorohoi. 19th Pioneer Company lost while clearing the mines in Sasa and fighting enemy soldiers left behind sergeant majors Lehner Carol from Rusca Montană-Severin and Stroie Ion from Arcani-Gorj.

36th Antitank Regiment, fighting enemy armor from German 4th Armored Division in the offensive strip of Romanian 7th Army Corp at Litava at 28th of February, supporting Romanian 9th Cavalry Division, sergeant majors Dumitraşcu Constantin and Gorgan Constantin, and at 6th of March in the fight at Babina second lieutenant Opriţescu Nicolaie from Târgu Jiu and sergeant major Popescu Alexandru from Zorleşti-Gorj.

1st Heavy Artillery Regiment lost in fight at Dobra Niva at 19th of March sergeant major Ivan Marin from Urzicuţa-Dolj.

2nd Infantry Division, operating from 27th of February in the offensive strip of 4th Army Corp, where the main effort of Romanian 1st Army was made then, lost the following officers and NCO’s:

1st Dorobanţi Regiment-Dolj lost while clearing terrain of enemy resistance north of Lonec at 28th of February sergeant major Abotnăriţei Vasile from Flămânzeni-Botoşani.

31st Dorobanţi Regiment-Calafat lost the brave lieutenant (reserve) Negreanu Emil from Dândeşti-Sălaj at 27th of February in the fight in Lest area and at 7th of March sergeant major (reserve) Deceanu Cornel from Nailat-Alba while assaulting 621 Height from Lest area.

26th Dorobanţi Regiment-Rovine lost sergeant major Nelu Alexandru from Hârceşti-Putna during operations for breakthrough 2nd enemy line of defense at Zabava at 1st of March and at 10th of March second lieutenant Moldoveacu Grigore from Bucşeşti-Bacău while clearing the terrain from enemy in Lest area. 2nd Pioneer Company lost in the same action on the German minefields second lieutenant (reserve) Grigorescu Dan from Bistreţi-Dolj at 10th of March in Oremov Laz area.

9th Artillery Regiment lost at 6th of March captain Drăguţ Gheorghe from Craiova during breakthrough enemy 2nd line of defense while he directed cannons fire.
10th Infantry Division – from 27th of February – in the action strip of 4th Army Corp, where 1st Romanian Army moved it’s effort, had heavy fights for breaking thru enemy 2nd line of defense in the area Plesovţe-Sasa-Dobra Niva.

23rd Infantry Regiment-Ialomiţa lost at Plesovţe at 2nd of March sergeant major Dobre Niculae from Cosâmbeşti-Ialomiţa and at 3rd of March sergeant major Catană Gheorghe from Guiluga-Dolj. In the fights north-west of Dobra Niva died at 10th of March lieutenant Popa Laurenţiu from Alba Iulia and sergeant Breazu Nicolaie from Lipnic-Soroca, at 12th of March second lieutenant (reserve) Cinteză Nicolaee from Maghireşti-Dolj and sergeant major Racoviţă Ion from Vaslui, during fights around this important communication hub, even if part of Romanian units, in their impetuous offensive reached enemy 3rd line of defense even from 9th of March 1945. 38th Infantry Regiment-Brăila in the same fights on the heights north-west of Dobra Niva lost at 11th of March second lieutenant Georgescu Aurel from Vlad Ţepeş-Ialomiţa, plutonier adjutant Constantinescu Marin from Brăila and sergeant major Fetcu Mihai from Lăpuşata-Vâlcea and at 12th of March in the fight of Eubova sergeant major Androne Marin from Cucuruzu-Vâlcea.

33rd Infantry Regiment-Tulcea lost in the attacks against 507 Height in Dobra Niva-Dubove area the brave second lieutenant (reserve) Buşilica Longhin from Apaţa-Braşov who felt in the front his unit.

2nd Mountain Division, belonging to 4th Army Corp had the following losses during actions in the operation strip of Romanian 1st Army.

From divisional headquarter died on the battlefield at 1st of March at Turie Polie sergeant major Horga Gheorghe.

7th Mountain Battalion lost at 27th of February at Nereşniţa second lieutenant Posdarcă Nicolaie from Verbiţa-Dolj and in the fight on the rough and wooded heights east of Dobra Niva at 10th of March felt on the battlefield second lieutenant (reserve) Lăzărescu Grigore from Glocul Craiovei-Severin and sergeant major Opriş Gheorghe from Bocşa-Sălaj, at 12th of March second lieutenant (reserve) Voinea Ion at Siele, from Martalogi-Argeş, at 13th of March captain Rădulescu Stefan from Galaţi at Dobra Niva.

8th Mountain Battalion lost at 29th of February at Mezoest lieutenant (reserve) Lamatic Mihai.

15th Mountain Battalion lost in the fight on the heights east of Dobra Niva second lieutenants (reserve) Serianu Gheorghe from Titeşti-Covurlui and Vahnoveanu Vasile from Văscăuţi-Hotin.

9th Mountain Battalion lost on 28th of February in fight at Nerejniţa second lieutenant (reserve) Ilie Stelian from Cândeşti-Buzău.

10th Mountain Battalion lost at 8th of March in fight in Plesovţe area sergeant major Coşoveanu Mihail from Suliţa-Botoşani.

16th Mountain Battalion lost in the probing enemy 2nd line of defense at the heights south east of Plesovţe sergeant major Ciobanu Aurel from Coteana-Argeş.

4 artillery „divizion” lost at 1st of March in Turie Polie area second lieutenant (reserve) Călin Gh. Dumitru while direct the artillery fire from the first line. 38th Mountain Ambulance lost at 2nd of March at Zichi sergeant major Petric Ştefan from Ruş-Someş while he tried to rescue wounded soldiers from the battlefield.

3rd Mountain Division, belonging to 4th Army Corp, acting in the offensive strip of it, in it’s main effort direction until 12th of March, when it was directed on western flank where the effort of Romanian 1st Army has moved, lost the following:

12th Mountain Battalion lost in the fight at Zeijova at 3rd of March second lieutenant Măran Ion from Ciclova-Caraş.

22nd Mountain Battalion lost in the assault against wooded heights south-west of 782 Height, under Bresiny, among many other soldiers, lieutenant Melinte Constantin from Scurta-Putna.

21st Mountain Battalion lost in the fight on the heights noth of Horni Tisovnic at 27th of February sergeant major Crăciunescu Ion from Crainici-Mehedinţi and at 1st of March in the assaults at 724 Height second lieutenant Buia Gheorghe from Ineu-Arad and at 2nd of March major Mladin Augustin from Arad, who died fighting in front of his unit at Zeijova.

1st Mountain Artillery „divizion” lost sergeant major Sindinu Stancu from Cârşigaţi-Teleorman, while he directed artillery fire to support mountain troops in Turie Polie area, in order to open their way.

2nd Artillery „divizion” lost at 10th of March sergeant major Mateescu Dumitru at a forward observation post from where he observed the effect of artillery strike on the target at Dol Tisovnic. During fights for breaking thru 3rd enemy line of resistance, hastily organized on the alignment Breziny-Bacurov-Cozelnik, started at 13th of March, the losses of great units of Romanian 1st Army are recorded.

In the offensive strip of 7th Army Corp

9th Cavalry Division lost on the battlefield north of Dubova second lieutenant Pîrjolescu Pantelie at 14th of March and in the follow-up fights, at 17th of March, under heavy fog on the Gron Valley, sergeant major Bogdănaş Ion, two brave cavalry men from 9th Roşiori Regiment.

3rd Roşiori Regiment lost at 16th of March the brave major Creţulescu Vasile from Bârlad and at 18th of March lieutenant (reserve) Magdu Mircea from Timişoara in the heavy fights for Kozelnik village, important enemy defense point in the 3rd line of resistance on the western flank, which linked with German resistance center from Banska-Stiavniţa, atacked simultaneous by Soviet 53rd Army.

3rd Mountain Division operated since 12th of March in the offensive strip of 7th Army Corp by a large enveloping maneuver on the western flank, taking part at the fights for dislocate enemy defense from the 3rd line of resistance, on the effort direction of Romanian 1st Army.

12th Mountain Battalion lost in the fight north-west of Kozelnik at 16th of March sergeant major Bălan Dumitru. 22nd Mountain Battalion lost, during demolishing step by step, by rear and flank infiltrations, the enemy defense, at 11th of march, lieutenant Suroiu Mircea from Blaj (…)

In the offensive strip of 4th Army Corp, who from 12th of March kept only 2nd (? maybe a mistake in the manuscript, it is written 3rd Mountain Division) Mountain Division, 2nd and 10th Infantry Division, 3rd Mountain Division being sent by day and night forced march on the western flank of 1st Romanian Army, the losses will decrease beause the effort moved on the offensive strip of 7th Army Corp. On the other hand, the terrain being in reversed slope toward Gron Valley, favored by natural covering the advance of Romanian units, especially by night, in the flank and the rear of enemy resistance points, forcing them to withdraw in order to avoid encirclement.

2nd Mountain Division had anyway the following losses:

5th Mountain Battalion lost in the fight for liberation Dolbrezin village at 14th of March the brave sergeant major Teodorescu Marin from Almaş-Bihor.

7th Mountain Battalion lost in the fight for Bucurov village sergeant major Cîrnat Pamfil from Mihalţ-Alba at 14th of March.

9th Mountain Battalion lost in hand-to-hand fight at Uribovka at 14th of March second lieutenant (reserve) Paicu Ioan from Rapoltu Mare-Hunedoara.

2nd Infantry Division lost sergeant major TR Niţă Haralambie from Pleniţa-Dolj, from 2nd Recon Group during battle reconnaissance mission in Ustraluk, Pahron village at 17th of March, in an ambush.

10th Infantry Division lost in the assaults south-west of Dubove at 15th of March sergeant major TR Răsiu Alexandru from Scurtu-Vâlcea , from 33rd Infantry Regiment-Tulcea.

7. Considerations

In the offensive front on east of Czechoslovakia, Romanian 1st Army was flanked in west by Soviet 53rd Army and in the east by Soviet 40 Army. It’s mission was to cover the left and the rear of Soviet 40 Army, which fight with Romanian 4th Army in “Metaliferi” Mountains from Slovakia and to secure the right flank of Soviet 53rd Army, which was in full offensive toward Banska Stiavniţa. Romanian 7th Army Corp was taken out from Battle of Budapest, concentrated between 15th-18th of January 1945 with Romanian 9 Cavalry, 2nd, 10th and 19th Infantry Divisions on the south of Iavorina Massive and north of Ipel River, between Modri Kamen-Brusnik, on the left of Romanian 4th Army Corp, which operated west of Lucenec from 26th od December 1944.

At 22nd of January Romanian 1st Army reunited under it’s orders Romanian 7th Army Corp and 4th Army Corp and at 25th of January started the battle for Iavorina Massive. (…)

Romanian 1st Army participated to the operations in Iavorina Massive with 58.923 officers and soldiers, loosing 13.838 men, that being 23,47% losses. (…)

In Lest village, the town hall offered the land from school courtyard for a cemetery for Romanian soldiers who died in that area. (…)

Posted by: ANDREAS July 21, 2012 08:38 am
21inf, I really appreciate your post, there are many interesting aspects unknown to me so far! Thank you!

Posted by: ANDREAS August 01, 2012 08:26 pm
Because I recently took part to the action of Stary Tekov, I searched for the Romanian unit who fought in that area and I found this:
- the 2nd Mountain Division:
28/29-29.3.45: moved to the South by Banska Stiavnica - Bátovce - Levice, then cross over the Hron at Tekov, continued the advance by Mal. Kozmalovce and finnaly regrouped in Volkovce area.

Posted by: 21 inf August 02, 2012 07:06 am
Also, quite close to Stary Tekov area fought 5th Romanian Mountain Battalion from Abrud (also called Batalionul de moţi Avram Iancu), at Lehotka, Dorni Tisovnik, Turie Polie.

Posted by: pitika August 26, 2012 05:17 pm
In front of Romanian 1st Army were on defense positions German 76th Infantry Division and 8th Hunters (in Romanian manuscript in original “vânători” – maybe Grenadiers?)
8th Hunters - Could be 8th Jager Division? They were suppose to operate in Czechoslovakia at the end of war. Operated in Karpathians and Slovakia from May 1944 to April 1945. At end of the April and May 1945 at Moravia (Eastern part of Czech Republic).

Posted by: ANDREAS August 26, 2012 08:58 pm
pitika, if you are interested in our troops opponents I can tell you that:
- in the Roznava operation (january 1945) : 16th and 24th (Hungarian) Infantry Divisions, 1st (Hungarian) Mountain Brigade, 4th (German) Mountain Division;
- Javorina Mountains and middle Hron operation (february 1945) : 8th Jager Division, 76th Infantry Division (both German)
- middle Hron cross forcing operation (march 1945) : 271st Volksgrenadier Division, parts of 357th Infantry Division and 8th Jager Division (all German).
Source: Istoria artileriei romane, Ed. Militara, Bucuresti 1977.

Posted by: JiriTintera August 27, 2012 12:19 pm
Dear Colleague "21 inf",
your comprehensive information I am very interested. Therefore, I would like to ask the question, will the memory of Colonel Ioan N. Mailat print edition? If not, please detail under what conditions it is possible to obtain a manuscript scan for libraries: the Military History Institute in Prague, the Military History Institute in Bratislava and Difrology club.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

P. S.
I apologize for the use of electronic translators, but I can not English.

Posted by: 21 inf August 27, 2012 03:17 pm
Hello, Jiri!

The manuscript's situation is not clear yet, if it is under copy right or not. That's why I posted only a very little part of it. The manuscript is in romanian language, the translation is mine. In the next months I will try to make clear if the copyright is still valid or not. If it is not valid, maybe a printed edition will be available. I will let you know on this forum about further new information.

Posted by: JiriTintera August 27, 2012 09:27 pm
Hello "21"!

In Europe, the long-term protection of copyright. Usually 70 years from the death of the author.

For Czech and Slovak scholars - professionals or amateurs - it would be a benefit to familiarize yourself with the Romanian view of the fighting in Czechoslovakia.

Posted by: 21 inf August 28, 2012 02:39 pm
In Romania the copyright is for 75 years after the death of the author and a even longer period if the descedents of the author have some rights. The author was still alive in mid 1980's. I'll keep you informed.

Posted by: Petre October 17, 2021 06:57 am
Asociatia slavistilor din Republica Populara Romîna
Romanoslavica VIII, 1963
Nicolae Ciachir, Contributia militara a Romîniei la eliberarea poporului cehoslovac (dec. 1944 — mai 1945)

Posted by: JiriTintera October 17, 2021 11:11 am
Dear colleague,
thank you for the link to the Macedonian site.

Posted by: Petre October 23, 2021 09:33 am
4-aia Rumînskaia Armia

The war in Europe ended ...
Excerpts from Order of CO, 40 Sov Army for the 4th Rom Army tor return to the country
8 iunie 1945.
1. Marsul armatei spre noul raion de dislocare se executa în stricta conformitate cu planul.
2.Pentru pregatirea traseului trimiteti imediat grupuri de ofiteri în recunoastere si trimiteti înainte unitati de geniu pentru repararea podurilor si pregatirea traversarilor.
3. Cereti din partea tuturor ofiterilor si soldatilor repectarea celei mai strictei discipline pe timpul marsului.
În locurile de repaos si stationare zilnica, trupele vor fi dispuse doar în bivuacuri si nu în localitati (pe câmp, în padure).
Deplasarea se executa în principal noaptea, evitând circulatia pe timpul arsitei zile.
5. St.maj al Armatei se va muta : pâna la 16.6.45 ramâne pe loc la Frysava, de la 17 la 26.6.45 la Hodonin, de la 26.6 la 7.7.45 la Zlate Moravce, de la 8 la 13.7.45 la Eger, de la 20.7.45 la Salonta.
6. Organizati conducerea clara a trupelor pe timpul marsului.
În raioanele de stationare zilnica si de repaos îndelungat, pregatiti terenuri pentru aterizarea avioanelor de legatura.
Cd-tul trupelor Grupului de armate - Gen.col. Jmacenko
Membru al Cons. Mililtar - Kulik
Sef de Stat-major - Gen.maior Pighin
TzAMO RF, Fond 395, Opis 9136, Dosar 417, p. 44

Powered by Invision Power Board (
© Invision Power Services (