Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> USSR Aid
Warlord
Posted: April 26, 2005 07:39 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 539

Did the USSR receave aid from Uk and USA ? (Tanks planes)
Personaly i find that idea impossible...Uk did not have enough planes to defend their own country...
What do you think ?
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Imperialist
Posted: April 26, 2005 07:42 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

QUOTE (T-34 @ Apr 26 2005, 07:39 PM)
Did the USSR receave aid from Uk and USA ? (Tanks planes)
Personaly i find that idea impossible...Uk did not have enough planes to defend their own country...
What do you think ?

Come on, T-34, is this a trick question? laugh.gif
Ofcourse they did receive aid. Big time.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
Warlord
Posted: April 26, 2005 07:46 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
What kind of aid ?
Maybe money and other ... i dont think that russians would be very willing to drive a sherman...
....this info appeared on some documentaries the last few years... or i dont know...lets hear some other opinions smile.gif
Jeff_S
Posted: April 26, 2005 07:51 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

The USSR definitely received aid from both the UK and the USA.

The Murmansk convoy route was famous for its danger. I believe there was also a route through Persia/Iran.

As for whether the UK and USA had enough war material to give it away, all I can say is that they must have felt they did. Certainly you can question the usefulness of some of what was given. I know I would not want to be in a Sherman tank while there were Panthers or even Pzkw IV's around. But other systems that were failures (I would say) in US hands were useful in Soviet hands. The P-39 Aircobra is a good example -- the cannon was very useful in a ground attack role. And there were also large quantities of trucks and other non-lethal equipment which are always useful.

From BBC.com

There was enough food in the end to ensure a square meal for every Soviet soldier; most of the Soviet rail network was supplied with locomotives, wagons and rails made in the USA; one million miles of telephone wire, 14 million pairs of boots, 363, 000 trucks, all helped to keep the Red Army fighting with growing efficiency. Without Allied aid, Stalin later admitted, 'we would not have been able to cope'.

This post has been edited by Jeff_S on April 26, 2005 07:56 pm
PMYahoo
Warlord
Posted: April 26, 2005 07:52 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Why would they give the soviets tanks and money to counquer Europe and hold it until 1991 ? blink.gif
Jeff_S
Posted: April 26, 2005 07:58 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

QUOTE (T-34 @ Apr 26 2005, 07:52 PM)
Why would they give the soviets tanks and money to counquer Europe and hold it until 1991 ?  blink.gif

Simple: the Soviets were fighting the Germans, and so were the US and UK. If the Soviets lost, or even were stopped by the Germans, liberating Western Europe from the Germans would become vastly more difficult (I would say impossible).

If the US and UK could have seen the future, they might not have done it, but who knows?
PMYahoo
dragos
Posted: April 26, 2005 07:59 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Warlord
Posted: April 26, 2005 08:05 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Why would they still send aid when it was obvious that the germans will be defeated?
dragos
Posted: April 26, 2005 08:18 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Please read the articles mentioned before asking such question. You will see that when lend-lease aid to Soviet Union was initiated, the Germany was far from being defeated.

In 11 March 1941 the Congress of the USA has accepted the law on Lend-Lease which allowed Goverment of the USA the right to lend or in rent to other countries the various goods and materials, which are necessary for defense of these countries, if it affected to the safety of USA.

The military aid for the USSR has begun in November 1941, but before this date some equipment and materials were purchasing for gold from USA, Great Britain and even from Nazy Germany. On June 28, 1941, after the primary negotiating with the English Military and Economic Missions, USSR has gave them the request to prime purchases. There were also an aircrafts that were from USA as a Lend-Lease agreement. Thus law on Lend-Lease was distributed "informally" on the USSR even before decision of US Government.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Imperialist
Posted: April 26, 2005 08:19 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (T-34 @ Apr 26 2005, 07:52 PM)
Why would they give the soviets tanks and money to counquer Europe and hold it until 1991 ? blink.gif

The Americans had to exploit the fact that Germany waged a war on two fronts, and they had to do it before the USSR collapsed.
So they used the UK as an unsinkable aircraft carrier and they also gave lots of industrial assistance to the USSR.
Today lots of fantastic ideas are still around talking abut the Germans rolling into the Middle East and making a junction with the Japanese in India, etc.
These stories hide the fact that in WWII Germany with its slightly bigger European territories was trapped in a huge pincer. In the West Britain with its sea and air capabilities and in the East the USSR with its sea of land and people.
And this pincer relied at least at first on the great US industrial capabilities, which was in fact the hand that kept enough pressure on the pincer to hold the struggling germans on the spot.
My bet is that in the future, when all the ideological sensibilities about the world wars die down, WWI and WWII will be seen as a huge rout, and as it can already be slightly perceived in your message, like an aggression against Europe, the old center of civilisation...

take care

--------------------
I
PM
Jeff_S
Posted: April 26, 2005 08:27 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

The US faced the challenge of how to translate US industrial and economic strength into pressure on Germany. The strategic bombing campaign and the blockade were part of this. The US and UK knew that a ground war would be necessary too, but building an army that could do this took time. Supplying the Soviets was a good way to tie down the German army while creating the force to invade.
PMYahoo
PanzerKing
Posted: April 30, 2005 11:22 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 29

Thousands of tanks and planes went to Russia, it's all over the net! Just do a quick search.
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
C-2
Posted: May 01, 2005 07:14 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

T-34,I don't understand how do you have a site on WW2,when you have very few knowledge about it!?
PMUsers Website
Warlord
Posted: May 02, 2005 10:24 am
Quote Post

Soldat

That site is a personal page...
If i find something interesting i will upload it or put a link to it there... (there is a 8mb limit)
And for me the usa sending aid to ussr seamd impossible...
I just wanted to see other opinions..
Imperialist
Posted: March 20, 2006 01:21 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (C-2 @ May 1 2005, 07:14 PM)
T-34,I don't understand how do you have a site on WW2,when you have very few knowledge about it!?

QUOTE ("Warlord")

That site is a personal page...
If i find something interesting i will upload it or put a link to it there... (there is a 8mb limit)
And for me the usa sending aid to ussr seamd impossible...
I just wanted to see other opinions..

OK, this is more like an "administrative" question, but how come T-34 morphed into Warlord.... blink.gif What is going on here?

--------------------
I
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1016 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]