Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (20) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Portraits of Romanian Soldiers
C-2
Posted: February 12, 2005 08:11 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Any ideea what uniform is this?

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: February 13, 2005 05:47 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Rosior I believe.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mihai
Posted: February 13, 2005 08:17 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

QUOTE (Victor @ Feb 12 2005, 01:03 PM)
The uniform is army. Both the air force and navy officers had their ranks on the sleeves.

Thank you
Mihai
PM
C-2
Posted: February 20, 2005 06:19 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Capt.Petrovici Dumitru.
I already posted a photo of his grave,in Basarabia ,killed on the first day of the war.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers Website
b737
Posted: February 21, 2005 11:26 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (mihai @ Jun 26 2004, 03:16 PM)
Hi,Denes

What sort of armband is this soldier wearing?
user posted image

This is the uniform of "Guard of the fatherland"movement.
Mihai

Sorry Mihai but you are wrong, this is a FRN- Frontul Renasterii Nationale not a Straja Tarii (Guard of the fatherland)uniform!!
PMEmail Poster
Fratello
Posted: February 24, 2005 10:34 am
Quote Post

Locotenent

Member No.: 475

Sorry Mihai but you are wrong, this is a FRN- Frontul Renasterii Nationale not a Straja Tarii (Guard of the fatherland)uniform!!

I think you are right b737. I have the same opinion like you: this is a FRN uniform.
PMEmail Poster
Barbosu
Posted: February 25, 2005 12:11 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 438

Denes

I think you have a royal "soldier" in the photo you posted. I think the person in the photo is one of the princesses of Romania, but I don't know which of them, dressed as cavalry soldier. Are you sure of the year? If so, I think she could be one the daughters of Queen Maria (Ileana, Mignon, Irina or Elena). If the photo is earlier, could be princess Elisabeta. Observe the ring on her left hand. My belief is that she is HRH Princess Ileana (I found some photos of her plus it is a match with the year 1928).

Please check this theory. Thanks.

Barbosu

PS About the other military you asked of his uniform: he is from the FRN period for sure. One of ministers in 1940 government wore that on left hand. This is the armband you're looking for.

This post has been edited by Barbosu on February 25, 2005 01:16 am

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: February 25, 2005 03:26 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Thanks, Barbosu, for the clarifications and details.

Gen. Dénes
Agarici
Posted: February 25, 2005 03:20 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

Well...

If the person is a royal princess then it is clear. But she is not wearing a women-type uniform. I also have my doubts that there were a practice for the Romanian Royal House princess to wear military uniforms. Tough... the uniform might be a Royal House one, because:

- "Straja Tarii" (Guard of the Fatherland?) was a youth movement, with many resemblances with the later comunist "Pionieri" (Pioneers). Even their uniforms were similar (white beretts, paratroopers "red berets"-style) and mainly white uniform. The only persons who wear this type of uniform besides the teenagers were king Carol II - the "Straja" commander (there are some archive films with him dressed like that) and other "Straja" leaders who were appointed by the king and were the only adults in the organization

- FRN (Frontul Renasterii Nationale in 1938, then from 1940 Partidul Natiunii) was a would-be totalitarian-type political party, created at the king's initiative. It has no military role at all and it was also used in order to give a certain appearace of legitimacy to the regime, as the parliament continued function for a while but with FRN as the only active party. As I know they used white-colour uniforms, but there's a possibility that those were only for special ocasions, and there also existed another colour version. It is a well known fact that king Carol II was a big fan of different types of military uniforms...
PMEmail Poster
Barbosu
Posted: February 25, 2005 10:22 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

DENES

You're welcome. If you have any other details on that photo, I'm interested! Thanks!

AGARICI

There are two different persons and pictures I mentioned.

1. The "princess" is the soldier in cavalry uniform posted by Denes. If you want check this link and you will se a lot of pictures with Romania's queen and princesses.

http://www.tkinter.smig.net/index.htm

I invite you to visit this excellent website of Tom. I will post here only a photo from there, with HRH Princess Ileana in another uniform. Ileana is the youngest daughter of HM King Ferdinand and HM Maria.

For propaganda Ileana (or other princess) could wear the uniform of Queen Maria Regiment.

I repeat, I am not sure which princess is in the photo posted by DENES. Maybe someone could help!

Barbosu

This post has been edited by Barbosu on February 25, 2005 10:43 pm

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Barbosu
Posted: February 25, 2005 10:25 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

QUOTE (b737 @ Feb 21 2005, 11:26 AM)
Hi,Denes

user posted image

Mihai

2. The other person is this one, also posted by DENES:

As you observe, the armband is not seen but a fragment of it. So I croped the armband from another picture for example.

As for the FRN you can find on internet (for example on www.timelifepictures.com)
pictures with the Government and you will see that almost all ministers were wearing uniform with this armband. Gafencu included. The pictures are dated february 1940 and each has an explanation.

Cheers,

Barbosu

This post has been edited by Barbosu on February 25, 2005 10:34 pm
PMEmail Poster
Barbosu
Posted: February 25, 2005 10:47 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

And even HM Queen Maria herself wore uniform on special events, as you can see in the picture below, from same website. (http://www.tkinter.smig.net/index.htm)

Tom's website has tens of very interesting photos, great stories and links. I will not abuse so this is the last photo from him that I post here.

Cheers,

Barbosu

PS. Could that be the uniform of Queen Maria Regiment? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Barbosu on February 25, 2005 10:51 pm

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
mihai
Posted: February 26, 2005 02:16 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 30

QUOTE (b737 @ Feb 21 2005, 11:26 AM)
Hi,Denes

user posted image

Mihai

Sorry Mihai but you are wrong, this is a FRN- Frontul Renasterii Nationale  not a Straja Tarii (Guard of the fatherland)uniform!!

Thank you !

Mihai
PM
Victor
Posted: February 27, 2005 11:53 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

One of my grandfather's brothers: cpt. (rez) Alexandru Badescu (left) with an unidentified officer.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Victor
Posted: February 27, 2005 11:55 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (Barbosu @ Feb 26 2005, 12:47 AM)
PS. Could that be the uniform of Queen Maria Regiment? smile.gif

Obvious since Queen Maria was the honorary CO of the 4th Rosiori Regiment.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (20) 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0495 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]