Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cannon identification from barrel
Outsider
Posted: February 24, 2017 08:58 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3825

Hello!

I'm new on this forum, and this is my first post.

I've had in my hometown a natural spring that made use of a very unusual pipe.
By looking inside with a powerful flashlight, it seemed to have at least 2 meters in length. Extensive rusting covers the eventual rifle marks.

There is a house built over the spring, and inside the cellar from which it emerges I know that are two desilting basins. Unfortunately, I cannot visit them, as it would be great to see the other end of the pipe/barrel.

My hometown had fierce fights in and around it, during WWI.

What do you experts think? Is it just an unusual pipe, or a cannon barrel?

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3351/Nsm3zZ.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7122/0p7pwY.jpg
PMEmail Poster
Vici
Posted: May 17, 2017 08:31 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 2455

I dont think so. The walls of the barrel look too thin to be a gun barrel, and visually it does not match any barrel front end of WW1 artillery piece on the romanian front that I know of.

It looks like an old pig iron (fonta) rainwater drain for houses (burlan) or an old sewage pipe (bucata de canalizare). The larger diameter end is where it would have connected with another similar section.

Still, if you can take some measurements (inside and outside diameter), as well as a photo inside the mouth of the pipe it would be great. If it is what I wrote above, the barrel should change inside diameter (be smaller) just where the thicker band ends.

This post has been edited by Vici on May 17, 2017 08:33 pm
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0238 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]