Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The IAR 80 and the IAR 81 in ultimate detail, Wydawnictwo Stratus
Dénes
Posted: November 14, 2014 05:56 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (lancer21 @ November 14, 2014 04:06 am)
Anyway, dreams. I realize of course that demand makes possible or not such titles, and of course it's hard to image for me the amount of work and effort necessary for the authors to write such books.

As Radu just said, such books might be written one day. There is enough information available (even if it's not 100% complete). I also have the necessary material for several titles, but currently lack the time needed to write them (one book usually needs at least a year to complete, my multi-volume book on the Hungarian Armed Forces is 20 years in the making).

However, the book market is shrinking. I am not sure if there is enough interest (namely paying customers) for such niche books. I already hit this invisible "wall", which will only grow and grow.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on November 14, 2014 06:11 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Radub
Posted: November 14, 2014 09:41 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 476

Books are like any other product, they cost something to produce... Profit is the lifeblood of industry. Every book that is published today is financed by the books sold before. So, those books will be published when enough funds are raised from the books we sell today.
This is the fourth book published this year that I was involved with. I have two more "on the go". A lot of work goes into this...
Radu
Florin
Posted: November 14, 2014 10:30 am
Quote Post

Member No.: 17

I do not want to look too gloomy, but the way I see the world around, it is going toward a "Fahrenheit 451" society, and it is not something enforced from top to bottom. It is going there voluntarily.
I do not mean a society where the books will be literally burned - like in "Fahrenheit 451".

The previous exchange of messages was about buying books.
The problem is not the cost of a book - it is about the will (the desire) to read a book.
Any kind of book . . .

I am living in a society where the average person makes grammar mistakes almost in any sentence, skip capital letters, messes with periods and commas.
A tremendous amount of time is wasted with stupid messages on Twitter and equivalent.
It happened that one day I could see a row of "tweets" on somebody's smartphone.
One message was: "I am walking on the street." Who gives a damn that he/she is walking on the street ? Who cares ?
I guess that 95 percent of "tweets" are like this one.
I saw young women who stopped right in the door of a busy access entrance of a huge bus station (i.e. Port Authority) to read their smart phone. That was right in the pedestrian flow.
Other people do not use headphones at the portable devices, and they do not give a damn that they disturb anybody else.
Corporate emails get mixed on smart phone with messages from blondes and red heads, and when I saw this, I understood why I did not get "cc" or "forward" with important project related messages. That person had other priorities . . .
When you prove that you know too much about a subject, people label you as "weird" and usually do not want to use the opportunity to better themselves.
OK, so these are the average people . . .
Even much worse is to see that in almost any documentary there is at least one historical mistake, or errors of interpretation, not for nationalistic reasons, but because the screenplay author lacked the background for the deep understanding of the problem. It is simply wrong teaching.
Even organizations that still retain some respect from viewers, like BBC News, occasionally make historical mistakes and present wrong historical maps.
Official historical websites contain sometimes gross errors - like one from New Zealand that is maintained by history teachers of the local universities.
On a website that is selling maps, and that is present day maps, the map of Ukraine was shown including Dobrogea, so Romania was with the border at Danube River. (That was about 3 years ago.)

Why did I write all these ?
You, Denes and Radu, already wrote many books.
I dream myself to do this, when I will have time (that I guess is in the afterlife).
But we live in a kind of Dark Ages world. Same like in those days when only few secluded monks read books in the monasteries, or few Maya priests kept the logs for the rest of society.
Do you know that documentary "The Future Is Wild" ?
I say: The future is scary !!!.) (If the teenagers + those in their 20's are our future.)

This post has been edited by Florin on November 14, 2014 10:43 am
PM
Radub
Posted: November 14, 2014 11:12 am
Quote Post

The world is full of all kinds of people. You probably heard the sayings "deep waters are still" and "empty can rattles the most". What they mean is that in life you tend to come across more loud idiots than quiet clever people. The internet, twitter, youtube, social media gave a global platform to all people. Those who used to be stupid in private are now able to be stupid globally. But these means of communication equally gave a platform to clever people to be clever globally. Follow one, ignore the other. The trick is to figure out which is which, and that is down to you. wink.gif
Radu
lancer21
Posted: November 19, 2014 09:32 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2883

Just a small question, stirred by seeing a few clear pages on cartula.ro, and the even more burning desire to finally have it in my hands! I received a notification dated the 15th (last Saturday) that it has been dispatched. Roughly how long it would usually take from that point to arrival? Thank you very much.

Oh and on another note, Radub you were saying you are currently working on 2 other titles, any info you can give us on them, are they about romanian aircraft or ARR too? tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster
Radub
Posted: November 20, 2014 08:52 am
Quote Post

Hopefully the book will be with you soon. Delivery to UK can take anything from two days to one month. It is (literally) all in the hands of the postman and I have no control over it. wink.gif

I cannot tell much about the other two books I mentioned. One is about ARR and one is about a plane that was never used in Romania.

Radu
lancer21
Posted: November 20, 2014 07:42 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2883

I got it today! ohmy.gif Of course, i have hardly put it down whenever i could spare time. I think the first thing that i can say at the moment is that it's a fantastic piece of work, far more comprehensive that the previous SAM publication, a lot of new pictures reproduced in very good quality, great job and thank you to Radub and his many collaborators like mr. Antoniu, mr. Denes, the gents from Poland and many many more.
PMEmail Poster
MaxFax
  Posted: November 24, 2014 05:41 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 7

My copy has arrived today.
Indeed an impressive work !!!

"The Most Famous Fighter You Never Heard Of" wink.gif
PM
Florin
Posted: November 29, 2014 05:30 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (Dénes @ November 14, 2014 12:56 am)
................I also have the necessary material for several titles, but currently lack the time needed to write them (one book usually needs at least a year to complete, my multi-volume book on the Hungarian Armed Forces is 20 years in the making).
Gen. Dénes

Hi Denes,

What is the timespan intended to be covered by your history of the Hungarian Armed Forces ?
I am curious, of course, otherwise I would not ask.
Thank you,
Florin
PM
Florin
Posted: November 29, 2014 05:36 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (MaxFax @ November 24, 2014 12:41 pm)
. . . .

"The Most Famous Fighter You Never Heard Of" wink.gif

This sentence is really smart !
Was it your idea ?
PM
Radub
Posted: November 29, 2014 08:25 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (Florin @ November 29, 2014 05:36 am)
QUOTE (MaxFax @ November 24, 2014 12:41 pm)
. . . .

"The Most Famous Fighter You Never Heard Of"  wink.gif

This sentence is really smart !
Was it your idea ?

That was the original subtitle of the book. smile.gif Now it is the title of the foreword.
Radu
Dénes
Posted: November 29, 2014 02:30 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Florin @ November 29, 2014 11:30 am)
................I also have the necessary material for several titles, but currently lack the time needed to write them (one book usually needs at least a year to complete, my multi-volume book on the Hungarian Armed Forces is 20 years in the making).
Gen. Dénes

Hi Denes,

What is the timespan intended to be covered by your history of the Hungarian Armed Forces ?
Thank you,
Florin

Basically, it covers the Horthy era (and a bit beyond): 1919-1945.
I am working on the final layout, as we speak.

Gen. Dénes
Florin
Posted: November 29, 2014 06:49 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (Dénes @ November 29, 2014 09:30 am)
QUOTE (Florin @ November 29, 2014 11:30 am)
Gen. Dénes

Hi Denes,

Thank you,
Florin

Basically, it covers the Horthy era (and a bit beyond): 1919-1945.
I am working on the final layout, as we speak.

Gen. Dénes

Good luck in finalizing it !
I have no doubt that it will be interesting.
I am assuming that it will be printed in English language.

Florin
PM
Florin
Posted: November 29, 2014 07:28 pm
Quote Post

"Amazon", were I already placed my order, accepts the money, issues the order number, but does not have yet books available for delivery.

On RaduB Store is already SOLD ! wink.gif
On "Mushroom Model Publications" is already available under "Others".
I hope that "Amazon" will not keep me waiting for too long.

Update - edited post:
Amazon will deliver my order in the last part of January.
That is 50 days from now.

This post has been edited by Florin on November 30, 2014 05:11 am
PM
Radub
Posted: November 30, 2014 07:33 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (Florin @ November 29, 2014 07:28 pm)
"Amazon", were I already placed my order, accepts the money, issues the order number, but does not have yet books available for delivery.

On RaduB Store is already SOLD ! wink.gif
On "Mushroom Model Publications" is already available under "Others".
I hope that "Amazon" will not keep me waiting for too long.

Update - edited post:
Amazon will deliver my order in the last part of January.
That is 50 days from now.

I really advise you to get the book where/when you find it. If the publisher has it, get it now.
I sold out my entire stock of 90 books in one week and a half. The book is a limited edition and soon it will be "rare and hard to find".
http://mmpbooks.biz/mmp/books.php?book_id=267
Radu
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (4) 1 2 [3] 4  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0500 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]