Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian WW1 uniform query.
aardvark
Posted: July 26, 2013 08:21 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3235

Hello,

the Romanian army started off with a grey-green uniform, but after the retreat to western Moldavia by 1917 had brownish -undyed wool uniforms.

Were these undyed uniforms worn by all troops in the reformed 1st and 2nd armies?

Or only supplied to certain units (infantry) or to anyone who needed new uniforms ?

The information i've seen never makes it clear.

Pat.

PMEmail Poster
ionionescu
Posted: July 27, 2013 06:47 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 2794

I'm not a big expert in uniforms, but as far as I know Romanian Army never wore ”brownish -undyed wool uniforms”, during WW1 two types of uniforms were used, the M1912 green-grey and the M1916 blue-grey, photo evidence shows the use of the both types during 1916 to 1919, the khaki colour uniform was introduced in 1921 but the M1912 and M1916 uniforms continued to be worn until 1927. Regards!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
aardvark
Posted: September 05, 2013 08:04 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3235

Hello,

thankyou for this information , very usefull.

Pat.
PMEmail Poster
Petre
Posted: January 08, 2019 06:53 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

user posted image

This post has been edited by Petre on January 27, 2019 10:11 am
PMEmail Poster
The A-H Guy
Posted: September 28, 2020 07:50 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 4377

In 1912 the Romanian army introduced the m12 tunic which was in a color also identical to the m08 Austro-Hungarian tunic in color and cut. The m12 had a stand and fall collar with insignia on it. It had internal scalped pockets on the breast and hips. On the right it had a shoulder roll, just like the Austro-Hungarian uniform. The m12 trousers were almost identical to the Austro-Hungarian artillery trousers. It was semi loose fitting down to under the knee. From the bottom knee down down it had a close fitting ankle which had shown buttons down to the bottom of the pant leg. It had piping from top of pant down to were the buttons started. The color would be regimental color.

The m1916 was almost identical. Pockets were strait instead of scalloped. No shoulder roll. The color was supposed to be grey rather than a grey-green, but it seems this order was not fallowed. trousers are same but for Chausser a pied(light infantry) piping on trousers was abolished. There are many variants, some pockets have buttons on out side, pleated pockets, a very big mess indeed!

In 1917 a undyed/brown uniform was introduced for Chausser a pied(possibly for all units?). It is unclear what these looked like but it seems they were identical to m16 but with less insignia. I believe only tunics and trouser were seen in this color. So troops would have worn this grey-green caps, puttees and so forth.

That is a brief summary of first world war Romanian infantry uniforms, if i find anything else i will let you all know.

- Regards

Also, how do you upload images on this forum? huh.gif
PMEmail Poster
Petre
Posted: September 29, 2020 04:17 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

Also, how do you upload images on this forum?
PMEmail Poster
The A-H Guy
Posted: October 02, 2020 04:17 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 4377

Thank You!
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0372 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]