Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian armoured units
bitbone
Posted: June 15, 2013 07:00 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 3524

Hi I'm new to this forum, I'm very impressed with the amount of information that is on here.

I've got a few questions about Romanian armoured units during world war 2.

1. Did the T-3's that the Romanian army received from Germany have the additional side skirts on them? If they did were they still painted in German panzer grey?

2. Were R-35s, T-3s, and T-4s ever deployed at the same time in any unit during the war?

3. I've read that in January 1944 the R-35s main gun were upgraded, were all R-35s upgraded? If not did they still get used on the frontline?

Many thanks in advance.
PMEmail Poster
sebipatru
Posted: June 15, 2013 08:13 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2990

all t 3 were received in the autumn of 42 so no they weren't upgraded with armor skirts and acording with scafes book romanian armor was painted green

the last 2 t3 were lost in bucovina in the spring of 44 while r 35 were used as training vehicles or were in factory for gun upgrade

only 30 of 60 r 35 were upgraded the soviets forbidden us to do the rest
PMEmail Poster
bitbone
Posted: June 17, 2013 01:21 am
Quote Post

Soldat

ok that helps, thank you sebipatru.
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: June 21, 2013 04:00 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

1. was already answered.

2. No. The two surviving T.3s from Stalingrad did not see front again from what I know. They appear throughout the spring and summer of 1944 as one in need of repairs and the second operational and used for training the personnel, most likely at the CIMM (the Mechanized Training Center).

However, in 1945, the 2nd Tank Regiment that served with the Soviet tank brigades in Slovakia and Austria had T.4s in one battalion and R-35s in the other and there were occasions when the two collaborated in the field.

3. Also to take into consideration the fact that not all 60 were serviceable.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
bitbone
Posted: June 21, 2013 08:24 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thanks victor, that information is very helpful.

Sebipatru you mentioned that in scafes book romanian armor was painted green. I found a modelling/wargames website http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=854 that says: Most Romanian equipment (including their R-2 tanks) was painted dark green without camouflage. German-supplied tanks remained in their original Panzer grey with the addition of Romanian markings.
The website doesn't state where they got that information from. Would be handy to clear up what they were painted in.

Would you also tell me the Title of Scafes book would be interesting in finding a copy of it. Many thanks.
PMEmail Poster
sebipatru
Posted: June 21, 2013 09:15 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

QUOTE (Victor @ June 21, 2013 04:00 pm)

2. No. The two surviving T.3s from Stalingrad did not see front again from what I know. They appear throughout the spring and summer of 1944 as one in need of repairs and the second operational and used for training the personnel, most likely at the CIMM (the Mechanized Training Center).

but victor this is from t 3 article "At the beginning of 1944 the two remaining T-3 tanks were assembled into the Cantemir Mixed Armoured Group that was sent to front in February. Cantemir Group operated 55km south of Vinnitsa during the offensive of the 2nd Ukrainean Front (Konev) that achieved a major breakthrough and overran Northern Bucovina. Both T-3 tanks were lost during this operation. "
something doesn't match
also in scafes book i gues was a picture of panzer 3 with 50 mm guns in romanian service in 44 page 28
the book is trupele blindate din armata romana 1919-1947
PMEmail Poster
sebipatru
Posted: June 21, 2013 09:21 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

the same scafes's book at page 30 mentions the 2 t 3 in cantemir group
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: June 26, 2013 03:58 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Unfortunately I have no time available to update all the articles on the website that need updating. That piece of info is from Axworthy if I remember correctly.

The info regarding the survival of the two T.3s is from primary sources and is seen by own eyes and written down by me in my notebook. If you wish, I can even give the file number. I think it is more accurate.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
sebipatru
Posted: June 27, 2013 08:16 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

i only mentioned the sources of information
and i've undersand how is to bu just too busy
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0258 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]