Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian supersonic programme
Radub
Posted: February 18, 2013 08:55 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 476

QUOTE (Florin @ February 18, 2013 12:35 am)

My understanding is that after 1989 the factory that pursued the Romanian supersonic program ended making full scale operational copies of FW-190 for a German marketing firm.

This is way off topic, but all I want to say is that there was no "Romanian supersonic program". There were "projects" and "dreams", but there was no suitable engine. It never went beyond the "dream" stage.
Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 18, 2013 09:18 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

This is way off topic, but all I want to say is that there was no "Romanian supersonic program". There were "projects" and "dreams", but there was no suitable engine. It never went beyond the "dream" stage.
Radu

You are right Radu, Supersonic program was only " projects" but regarding the engine, we had that suitable engine in production at that time. But as you know only the engine is not enough you need an airframe to suport that engine.
The Spey engine ( produced at Turbomecanica in licence for RomBac 1-11) with afterburners could be used for such a project.
The british used on their Phantom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Spey
PM
Radub
Posted: February 18, 2013 10:25 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 476

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ February 18, 2013 09:18 am)
Radu

You are right Radu, Supersonic program was only " projects" but regarding the engine, we had that suitable engine in production at that time. But as you know only the engine is not enough you need an airframe to suport that engine.
The Spey engine ( produced at Turbomecanica in licence for RomBac 1-11) with afterburners could be used for such a project.
The british used on their Phantom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Spey

Yes, I know, but in as far as I recall, the biggest "problem" was with fitting that engine with afterburner in order to make it truly "supersonic". I have a vague recollection about some Chinese involvement in producing the afterburner.
The airframe was supposed to be the I.A.R.95, but that never went beyond the drawing board.
Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0455 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]