Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romania and Polish-Soviet War of 1919/1920, Did Romania support Poland?
aidan zea
Posted: February 11, 2013 11:16 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 3341

Someone could check how many Hungarian cavalry troops were in the A-H army in the last year of WWI, for example... then, the maths is simple!

If we speak here about summer 1920 when the Red Russian Army successfully performed her offensive on Poland (until the great battle of Warszaw) than Hungary could send only volunteers because its army was practically disbanded after the Romanian occupation a year ago (august 1919). The new Hungarian Royal Army began to establish at late 1920 and in 1921 according to what I read!
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: February 11, 2013 12:11 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

The national troops led by Horthy existed from mid-1919 on.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
aidan zea
Posted: February 11, 2013 01:15 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

You're probably right, Denes! I have read several articles mentioning the creation of the M.Kir. Honvédség in 1921/22 so I assumed the inexistence of an national army after the dissolution of the Red Army in august 1919. I guessed that a national army was not established until 1920/21 after the Romanian Army left the occupied Hungarian territory.
Going back to topic the number of 30,000 men which was intended to send to Poland seems improbable I have found for 1922 35,000 men for the entire M.Kir. Honvédség. My question was why Romania as an ally of Poland did not provide troops (or at least offer) for Poland which was in a very difficult moment in its existence? From what Victor and Contras said a Romanian Infantry Division was present in Pocutia to establish link with the Polish Army in summer 1919... but in 1920?

This post has been edited by aidan zea on February 11, 2013 01:26 pm
PMEmail Poster
Victor
Posted: February 11, 2013 04:59 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

This article might answer your question, in part at least:
http://www.observatorcultural.ro/Mentiune....es_details.html
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Florin
Posted: February 11, 2013 05:18 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

It is neglected in this topic that the Hungarian troops in the days of Béla Kun successfully conquered most of Slovakia. The question is if would make a difference if the Hungarian leadership would save the strength of their troops for defensive purposes only, to face the Romanian troops.
Unfortunately for Hungary, her geography makes any defensive quite difficult. The only side that in those days was protected a little by the landscape was the side facing Romania ! (I am considering the Tisza/Tisa River.)

This post has been edited by Florin on February 11, 2013 05:26 pm
PM
Florin
Posted: February 11, 2013 05:41 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (aidan zea @ February 11, 2013 08:15 am)
...... My question was why Romania as an ally of Poland did not provide troops (or at least offer) for Poland which was in a very difficult moment in its existence? .....

After 1916-1918, total death toll was very high in Romania, considering the ratio of dead vs. total population.
From the surviving men, the available units had to cover also the Nister River and the border with Hungary. The Polish population had higher numbers than the Romanian population. Same goes for the number Poles able to be mobilized for war.
Maybe more useful than Romanian soldiers would be some military equipment, but that was scarce for Romania as well.
Romania emerging after WWI was weak, but lucky that the neighboring Soviets and Hungary seemed to be even weaker.

This post has been edited by Florin on February 11, 2013 08:32 pm
PM
aidan zea
Posted: February 12, 2013 12:06 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Victor, I appreciate the link, it is interesting indeed!
Florin, I do not disagree with what you say, but in terms of weapons and ammunition Romania stood well over Hungary in 1919 f.i. But as I could read Romania was helpful enough to Poland in 1920 with free access to weapons and ammunition trough her territory!
PMEmail Poster
ANDREAS
Posted: February 12, 2013 09:43 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

It is neglected in this topic that the Hungarian troops in the days of Béla Kun successfully conquered most of Slovakia. The question is if would make a difference if the Hungarian leadership would save the strength of their troops for defensive purposes only, to face the Romanian troops.

Florin, if my informations are correct only 3 (1st, 3rd and 5th Divisions) of the 9 Hungarian Divisions (many sources speak only about 8 Divisions as the 9th Ironworkers Division was never established) participated in Hungarian offensive in Slovakia, at least that shows me a map from june 1919. But this offensive, although successful, ended in a armistice guaranteed by the Antante in late june, and in july all the forces previously concentrated in Slovakia were redeployed for the Tisza offensive against Romanian Troops!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0360 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]