Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Afrika Korps in Romania
Ferdinand
Posted: July 11, 2012 07:32 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Group: Members
Member No.: 1486

Does anyone have some info about the DAK in Romania?

Thanks in advance,

smile.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
dragos
Posted: July 12, 2012 06:21 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Has Afrika Korps ever been in Romania? blink.gif
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
ANDREAS
Posted: July 12, 2012 06:56 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

Seeker, can you be more explicit about what are you interested in? Because the only connection which I know between Romania and DAK was the PzIIIN 75mmL24 tanks received by our troops from Stalingrad area in late autumn 1942 which apparently were intended for DAK!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Radub
Posted: July 13, 2012 07:56 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

Sometimes, DAK is used as an "umbrella term" to mean "any German in Afrika", including aircraft, whereas in reality DAK was only one of the German military entities present in Africa.
JG27 "Afrika" is an example. Although it was in Africa and was associated with Afrikakorps, it was not part of DAK. JG27 passed through Romania in the early stages of Barbarossa, but then it went to Africa. After the German retreat from Africa it was re-assigned to intercept bombers bound for Ploiesti, but was based in Greece.
Maybe you can give us a hint about what you are actually looking for? What artifact did you find? wink.gif
Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Ferdinand
Posted: July 13, 2012 10:57 am
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 1486

I asked becouse i found during the years some items that were specific made for Afrika Korps. I know that some point , some unit were in transit in Romania to Russia.

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahooMSN
Radub
Posted: July 13, 2012 02:49 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (seeker @ July 13, 2012 10:57 am)
I asked becouse i found during the years some items that were specific made for Afrika Korps. I know that some point , some unit were in transit in Romania to Russia.

After the Germans retreated from Africa, equipment made for "tropical" use was redirected to other theatres of operation. That is why you can see Finnish Messerschmitts with desert filters or Messerschmitts with remnants of desert camouflage in Russia.
Some of this "reassigned" German equipment was probably sold to Romania too.
Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: July 28, 2012 05:45 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

With regards D.A.K. items, particularly any captured by the British & Americans in North Africa, most of the canvas webbing etc..etc.. items were burnt.

Kevin in Deva.
PMEmail Poster
Taz1
Posted: August 18, 2012 09:33 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2414

Seeker do you have a picture with D.A.K pieces that you find ? Many peoples make confusion regarding D.A.K colours. By late 1943 until the end of the war the of the standard colour for the german army vehicles was the sand colour not feldgrau.This was the base colour on wich it was aplied comuflage colour. This colour was different from the sand colour of the D.A.K ( even D.A.K sand colour came in 2 tipes early 1941-42 and late 1942 until 1943 ) . It is comon confusion .Many people that restore german ww2 vehicles use wrong colour to paint them using german army 1944 colour for D.A.K vehicle.Those how make replicas all so make the same mistake .Even Hollywood movie makers are making the same mistake- in the movie Valkyrie with Tom Cruise at the beginning all D.A.K vehicles are painted in regular army 1944 sand colour and not D.A.K.

Here i s an example on o site regarding bmw r12 bikes : http://histor.ws/bmwr12/eng/resta-06c.php
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0254 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]