Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ARR Blenheim numbers
Martin Gleeson
Posted: September 06, 2009 01:23 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 2616

Hallo all,

I have been unable to find with certainty the exact number of Bristol Blenheims delivered to the ARR. I have seen different numbers, 37 or 39 out of 40 ordered. I have already several of the excellent books by Denes Bernad but some other authors differ from his figures.

How many Blenheims were delivered to Romania and what happened to those few which did not reach Romania ? Does anyone know if they were diverted elsewhere ?

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: September 06, 2009 06:50 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

There is no doubt in my mind regarding the total number of Blenheims ordered by Rumania.

I still stand behind my numbers published in 'Rumanian Air Force. The Prime Decade' (Squadron/Signal): 40 ordered from the UK, 37 reached Rumania (3 were destroyed en-route). Additionally, 3 more were delivered by the Germans from ex-Yugoslav stocks (the order for 3 more never materialised).

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on September 06, 2009 06:51 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Martin Gleeson
Posted: September 07, 2009 12:30 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Hallo Denes,

Thanks for your reply. I am very glad to have the numbers clarified.

You mention 3 destroyed en route. Do you know anything concerning the circumstances of their loss ? Especially the dates when they were shipped or when lost ? Or were they being ferried by air when they were lost ? (If on a ship I would try to identify it).

Regards and thanks again,

Martin.
PMEmail Poster
Hadrian
Posted: September 08, 2009 04:35 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 875

They were air ferried, 7 november 1939 to 22 november. First lost at take-off at Bordeaux, 10 november (Pilot Dumitru Popescu lived). Second crashed at landing at Marigneac, same day, pilot Nicolae Mirescu dies. Third hits a mountain side at Iron Gates, during the crossing of the Danube in 22 november. Pilot Mezin Nicolae and mechanic Enache Ioan die. All 3 were from same batch of fifteen, one of the shipments. One of the reason beside bad weather (rain and fog) were incomplete crews (pilot alone first two, pilot and mechanic the third, no navigators).
PMEmail Poster
Martin Gleeson
Posted: September 08, 2009 10:19 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hallo Hadrian,

Thank you very much for that information. It was completely new to me and explains neatly the delivery process for the Romanian Blenheims.

I can only find Royal Air Force serial numbers for 39 of the 40;
L6696-L6708, L6713-L6718, L8603-L8608, L8619, L8620, L8622, L8624-L8630, L8632 and L8652-L8654.
I have checked through various books including; THE BRISTOL BLENHEIM (2nd Edition) by Graham Warner, BRITISH MILITARY AIRCRAFT SERIALS 1878-1987 by Bruce Robertson and the Air-Britain ROYAL AIR FORCE AIRCRAFT L1000-N9999 by James Halley. I cannot find the RAF serial for the 40th Blenheim. Does anyone know what it might have been ?

Many thanks again,

Martin.
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: September 09, 2009 05:08 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Because all Rumanian documents refer to the Blenheims (and other types, too) with their ARR serial (tail) numbers, chances are practically nil to find the British serial numbers from the Rumanian side. There are much better chances to locate them from the British side.
Another challenge would be to link the British and ARR serial numbers.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on September 09, 2009 05:19 am
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Martin Gleeson
Posted: September 09, 2009 04:30 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hallo Denes,

Thanks for that clarification. If the ARR serial numbers were applied in Britain before they were ferried to Romania then it might be possible to tie up both sets of serials. If the documentation survived of course.

Many thanks again.

Martin.
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0691 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]