Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Map: 'Romania' south of Bulgaria?
Dénes
Posted: December 01, 2003 06:00 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I found the image of a 221-year-old British map, which shows 'Romania' located south of Bulgaria, on the southwestern shores of the Black Sea. See image: user posted image
It's obviously an error, but what could be the source?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Geto-Dacul
Posted: December 01, 2003 06:57 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

It's not an error, Dénes! During medieval times, Byzantine and Ottoman Thracia was also called "Romania" (the name of the Eastern Roman Empire), because of the great number of Vlachs living there, and the central administrative center which was Constantinople (the "new Rome"). eventually, with the creation of a Bulgarian state, that "Romania" disapeared, with the majority of the Vlachs there.

http://www.friesian.com/romania.htm

Getu'
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: December 01, 2003 08:05 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

During medieval times, Byzantine and Ottoman Thracia was also called \"Romania\" (the name of the Eastern Roman Empire), because of the great number of Vlachs living there

Actually it was called Romania because the Byzantines (the term "Byzantine" was introduced by modern historians) called themselves "Romans", not because there were so many Vlachs there.
Geto-Dacul
Posted: December 01, 2003 08:14 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Victor wrote :

Actually it was called Romania because the Byzantines (the term \"Byzantine\" was introduced by modern historians) called themselves \"Romans\", not because there were so many Vlachs there.

After the death of the Thracian emperor Phocas, a sery of Greek dynasties took the power, beginning with emperor Heraclius. The Eastern Roman Empire ceased to be "Roman", and became "Greek". But the Westerners continued to call it "Roman Empire". The Greeks called themselves "Romei".

user posted image

Follis with emperor Phocas (602-610)
Source : http://www.pdxcoinclub.org/gallery/AeFolli...lis_Phocas.html
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: December 01, 2003 08:16 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

An how is this different from what I said?
Korne
Posted: December 01, 2003 08:17 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 28

Maybe this is a confusion with Rumelia (spelled also as Roumelia), which corresponds to that particular region on the map.
PM
Geto-Dacul
Posted: December 01, 2003 08:19 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Rumelia is the Turkish name for "Romania"... Just like Istanbul is for "Constantinople"...

Victor, when the pope Inocentius III converted Ionita Caloian to the Catholic faith, from only then those Vlachs were considered as "Rome's descendents", and the region were Caloian ruled was named "Romania" by the Westerners.

Getu'
PMUsers Website
Korne
Posted: December 01, 2003 08:27 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 28

Rumelia is the Turkish name for \"Romania\"... Just like Istanbul is for \"Constantinople\"...

Didn't know that, Getule... That explains it then
PM
Victor
Posted: December 01, 2003 08:39 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The Asans never ruled that area on the map (Contantinople).

I was referring to the fact that the Byzantines (ethnical Greeks) considered themselves Romans and called themsellves this way.
Carol I
Posted: December 01, 2003 09:42 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

I have found this piece of information about Rumelia on the net. It creates the impression that historically Rumelia was centred around Sofia.

Carol I
PM
Dénes
Posted: December 01, 2003 09:42 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

During medieval times, Byzantine and Ottoman Thracia was also called \"Romania\" (the name of the Eastern Roman Empire

Thanks for the interesting details. I learned quite a few things.

So this is probably why the English spell the current country's name 'Rumania', as to avoid confusion with the above-described historical 'Romania'...
Carol I
Posted: December 01, 2003 09:49 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

So this is probably why the British spell the current country's anme 'Rumania', as to avoid confusion with the above-described historical 'Romania'...

Actually I heard many British saying that "Rumania" is the old way of spelling the name of the country, while the correct one now is "Romania". In fact I had to remind them of the spelling with "u" and they replied something along the lines "Oh really, I think I have seen it only in some old papers. Anyhow, no one uses it anymore."

And if BBC still maintains the tradition of "Queen's English", ROMANIA must be the correct way of spelling the name now.

Carol I
PM
Dénes
Posted: December 01, 2003 10:21 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

This issue was discussed and settled here earlier.
In short, both the classical 'Rumania' and the recently used 'Romania' spelling forms are correct and accepted in the contemporary UK English language.
Geto-Dacul
Posted: December 01, 2003 11:53 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Victor wrote :

The Asans never ruled that area on the map (Contantinople).

Indeed, Constantinople remained under "latine" hands until the Paleologus dynasty chased them... But Thracia with its capital at Andrinople, was controled for a period of time by the Asans.

Dénes wrote :

So this is probably why the English spell the current country's name 'Rumania', as to avoid confusion with the above-described historical 'Romania'...

If you want so :wink: I too would prefere more "Rumania" than "Romania"! smile.gif

Getu'
PMUsers Website
Chandernagore
Posted: December 03, 2003 09:13 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 106

Actually I heard many British saying that \"Rumania\" is the old way of spelling the name of the country, while the correct one now is \"Romania\". In fact I had to remind them of the spelling with \"u\" and they replied something along the lines \"Oh really, I think I have seen it only in some old papers. Anyhow, no one uses it anymore.\"

As Dénes said. Both spellings are accepted and correct in English. You will find Rumania quite often.
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0758 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]