Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian army and Wehrmacht, 1-st elements of Wehrmacht in Ro.
Radub
Posted: April 17, 2011 11:52 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 476

QUOTE (Dénes @ April 17, 2011 08:59 am)
That's an understatement. Based on what Wikipedia writes about him and also my opinion after reading some of his writings, he appears to be a xenophobic and extremist character.

Gen. Dénes

He, he, he, I was trying to ber "diplomatic". Remember the big brewhaha about the use of the word "controversial" in relation to Ion Antonescu? biggrin.gif

Let us forget diplomacy for a second and call a spade a spade. Gheorghe Buzatu is regarded a CV Tudor's heir apparent and is widely regarded as Romania's main holocaust denier. He is also one of the people behind the Ion Antonescu Foundation, whose main purpose is to make Antonescu look like a boy scout.

Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MMM
Posted: April 17, 2011 04:11 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 2323

QUOTE (Radub @ April 17, 2011 02:52 pm)
the Ion Antonescu Foundation, whose main purpose is to make Antonescu look like a boy scout.

... and what? Wasn't he?! The first "pionier", maybe... tongue.gif
All that being said and laughed at, in the community of historians (in Iasi, at least), Mr. Buzatu isn't very well regarded, so to say. That's why he left the city for Pitesti some years ago, last century...
As for his (too) many recent books, there's but a simple explanation (IMO, but documented, as I read quite a couple of his books in the last years): he found some rather new documents and the above-mentioned books are based on them, interpreting and re-interpreting them, with very slight differences. One can try to read his books, but after - let's say - three of them, one will agree with my idea! Of course, this doesn't mean that he has only xenophobic, negationist etc.- oppinions!

This post has been edited by MMM on April 17, 2011 04:12 pm

--------------------
M
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Radub
Posted: April 18, 2011 12:02 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (MMM @ April 17, 2011 04:11 pm)
QUOTE (Radub @ April 17, 2011 02:52 pm)
the Ion Antonescu Foundation, whose main purpose is to make Antonescu look like a boy scout.

... and what? Wasn't he?! The first "pionier", maybe... tongue.gif

If you mean "Straja Tarii", that was Carol II's creation and it was Romania's version of Hitler's Jugend.

I did not "judge" Buzatu... I only said that he is regarded as the Romania's leading holocaust denier. wink.gif To some, that means a bad thing, to others it means a good thing. I will not get into that... I learned my lesson.

Radu
Petre
Posted: April 19, 2011 05:58 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2434

PMEmail Poster
MMM
  Posted: September 11, 2011 06:41 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

Interesting! Thanks, Petre, Mr. Traşcă is a very well-dpcumented military historian and this small fragment is confirming it!

--------------------
M
Florin
Posted: September 11, 2011 09:06 pm
Quote Post

Member No.: 17

QUOTE (MMM @ January 31, 2009 01:28 pm)
I was referring to the land forces, but regarding Luftwaffe, I didn't know they wrecked their planes on our "great" landing fields! Where did you find this info, please? I may use it next week at my PHD studies, as well...

Do not blame 100 percent the airfield.
As you all know, Me-109 has a narrow landing gear. Personally, I do not understand why the design team did not modify the original project. In addition to modified drawings, some stamping and casting tools would need to be created, but for something produced in the thousands the cost will be immediately absorbed.

A third of all Me-109 damaged to become nonoperational were not lost during battles, but during the landing process due to the narrow landing gear.

This post has been edited by Florin on September 11, 2011 09:06 pm
PM
Radub
Posted: September 12, 2011 08:39 am
Quote Post

QUOTE (Florin @ September 11, 2011 09:06 pm)

A third of all Me-109 damaged to become nonoperational were not lost during battles, but during the landing process due to the narrow landing gear.

Most sources state that only about 10% of the 109s were lost in take-off accidents, but that was also due to the notorious "take off swing" caused by the engine torque which forced the tail to swing and the wingtip to drop. Experienced pilots knew how to avoid it. This was a problem mostly early in the war and for novices. As the war progressed, experience and improvements in design (tall tailwheel and lockable tailwheel steering) solved it

The narrow-track landing gear was just as narrow as that of the Spitfire.

Meserschmit experimented with wide-track landing gears, but they turned out to be more trouble than they were worth. The main selling point of the 109 was its simplicity (like the AK47) and the ease of servicing (like the AK47). Because of that landing gear, a couple of mechanics could change the wings in a couple of hours while the plane was standing on its landing gears, wheas a 190 required cranes and jacks and a whole team to do the same.

Hth
Radu
Florin
Posted: September 15, 2011 02:54 am
Quote Post

Few shots made to the landing gear of Me-109: smile.gif
user posted image
+
user posted image
+
user posted image
+
user posted image
+
user posted image
+
user posted image
+
user posted image
PM
Radub
Posted: September 15, 2011 08:50 am
Quote Post

Ah yes, the G-10 of the Air Force Museum. blink.gif
A famously dubious restoration job... Colours are spurious (actually, screaming-out-loud ridiculous) and that drop tank rack is a joke. wink.gif

If you need any help with the Bf.109, just let me know. I just happen to know a thing or two about it.

Radu
MMM
Posted: September 15, 2011 02:56 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

QUOTE (Florin @ September 12, 2011 12:06 am)

Do not blame 100 percent the airfield.

It was clear from Denes' earlier post that the "soaked airport" was to blame; I've also met a Romanian archive document which "complained" about the state of the airfields ("aerodromuri de campanie" was the exact phrase) and asked for funding... tongue.gif

About the "third" lost in acidents, it seems quite much, as the Germans' engineering departments would have "patched" somehow this problem.
Nice comparation with the AK-47... I'd rather compare it with the T-34 or the Sherman, because of the complexity of a plane is closer to that of a tank - IMO, at least...

--------------------
M
Radub
Posted: September 15, 2011 03:44 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (MMM @ September 15, 2011 02:56 pm)
Nice comparation with the AK-47... I'd rather compare it with the T-34 or the Sherman, because of the complexity of a plane is closer to that of a tank - IMO, at least...

Yeah, that would work as well. wink.gif
The Bf.109 was a perfect example of "function over form". Parts could be replaced easily with simple tools by a small team.
A "bad airfield" will cripple any aircraft, irrespective of the type of landing gear. That is how "runway denial weapons" work. wink.gif
Radu
Florin
Posted: September 15, 2011 04:16 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (Radub @ September 15, 2011 03:50 am)
...................A famously dubious restoration job... Colours are spurious (actually, screaming-out-loud ridiculous) and that drop tank rack is a joke. wink.gif

In the second photo (starting from top), at the joint between wing and engine, it seems that previously some teeth were painted on the engine cover, to give it that "shark" look. The yellow paint did not cover them completely.
PM
Radub
Posted: September 15, 2011 04:41 pm
Quote Post

QUOTE (Florin @ September 15, 2011 04:16 pm)

In the second photo (starting from top), at the joint between wing and engine, it seems that previously some teeth were painted on the engine cover, to give it that "shark" look. The yellow paint did not cover them completely.

That is actually the shadow of the exhaust pipes. You can see that each "tooth" matches the exhaust pipe right above it. wink.gif
Radu
Florin
Posted: September 15, 2011 08:25 pm
Quote Post

Two people addressed until now my statement that a third of the Me-109 damaged to become non-operational were lost as landing accidents.
This information was during a documentary on Military Channel, "Top Ten Fighter Planes". I am sorry for trusting them ...
PM
MMM
Posted: September 16, 2011 10:24 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Don't (necessarily) be sorry! S**t happens!
I just posted my "doubts" regarding the high proportion of damaged planes...

--------------------
M
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) « First ... 2 3 [4] 5  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0578 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]