Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Battle for Oradea
ANDREAS
Posted: January 26, 2011 11:41 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 2421

Hallo,
Indeed it's too long... now I can see... Sorry!
My suggestion is, as far as possible, a short-description of the German-Hungarian units who fought directly with the Romanian units, so not with the Soviets (I don't know if such prominence is possible from that text). Again, only if it's possible...
And a direct question -the fight of the Les village with the 300 romanian soldiers killed- was with which german/hungarian unit? Was there the Wehrmacht's 76. Infantry Division or other unit? Thank you!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
21 inf
Posted: January 27, 2011 04:42 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

From the hungarian book above, translation of a few sentences:

On 29 september 1944, the armored group of 23rd german armored division hit the position of romanian Tudor Vladimirescu volunteer division, on a south-west direction, in the village of Cihei. Romanian troops tried to offer resistance, but only for a short time, and tried to retreat southward, but few managed to do so. The germans counted more than 200 romanian volunteers left dead on the battlefield. The comander officer of 11th border battalion, with 40 men, was taken POW by the germans. At 11.30 hours (after other reports at 13.00 hours), the germans took Nojorid, closing in this way the road from Oradea toward Salonta. After one hour, the soviet-romanian units atacked in Nojorid the subunits of 126 Panzergrenadier regiment who ocupied it, being repusled with heavy losses. After receiving a new regiment as reinforcements, soviet-romanian forces started a new atack, but having no results again, they retreated in south-west direction.

German-hungarian forces started to pursue them and at 13.30 hours they re-took the Oradea airport. Toward evening the lonk was made with the forces who were ocupying Nojorid and the line was pushed toward Apateu-Chirişid.

Meanwhile the german AFV's went back to Oradea for refuel. Around 14.00 hours they started a new atack. The AFV's crossed Nojorid with the firing support of 3rd armored batalion from 128 armored regiment and cleaned Leş of any resistance. The defence of Leş was asigned to hungarian paratroopers led by captain Kiss Zoltan.

This post has been edited by 21 inf on January 27, 2011 08:40 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
ANDREAS
Posted: January 27, 2011 04:57 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 2421

Thank you very much 21inf! Interesting to hear the other side point of view!
PMEmail PosterYahoo
21 inf
Posted: January 27, 2011 07:01 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

The armored group of 23rd armored division moved forward and at around 21.00 hours found from information gathered from local population that romanian troops evacuated Gepiu just a few time before. ... German reports indicate that romanians lost 24 antitank guns, 6 infantry guns, 6 122 mm howitzers, 20 mortars, 32 automatic weapons, 4 trucks and 15 horse-drawn wagons.
mitzaRO
Posted: January 27, 2011 08:16 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2989

Thank you 21 inf!
I'm happy knowing these info's, a little of the history of my village.
PMEmail Poster
Leo_Niehorster
Posted: January 30, 2011 08:38 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 348

Google Translate is your friend.

By-the-way, if the text stops being translated, just hit the "F5" button. It will translate more. Repeat process until entire page is translated.

Read translation with a pinch of salt. It IS a mechanical translation, but will usually give a good idea what is written.

Cheers
Leo

--------------------
!
Dénes
Posted: January 30, 2011 08:43 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Here is one German soldier, who died in this battle:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?sh...indpost&p=19633

Gen. Dénes
mitzaRO
Posted: April 18, 2011 01:24 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 2989

Hello boys!
Yesterday one friend was walking in the Nojorid forest and he found 2 grenades(i think).
Today i got one of them home. It seems that it already exploded. laugh.gif
On it is wrote"GFLM-79" and under that it's wrote "51-83".
It was muddy and i washed it.
As you can see it has holes on the bottom side and sideways.
A blue-green mass has leaked from it after i washed it.And now a white one!

So far i know that is a"Grenada Fumigena Lacrimogena ....M ...?"
I think it's romanian.
But, what period?

Oh yeah, to mention that he found it in that part of the forest where no one walked for many years, i think.
He found it in a place that seems to be a buried casemate. Theres something like a hill and on one side there's a deep pit.
In that pit were the grenades!

LE:I'll put the images imediately, it's too complicated to upload photos directly on forum!
LE2: http://img163.imageshack.us/g/dscn1276b.jpg/

This post has been edited by mitzaRO on April 18, 2011 01:28 pm
PMEmail Poster
PzKpfW
Posted: January 12, 2016 08:28 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3591

Hi there

What some others read in history books we dig out from the battlefield. We're based in Oradea but also dig WW1 and WW2 through Transylvania and Moldavia. We usually pay for situation maps from the Freiburg archives or Berlin R fonds, old german-hungarian memoires and so on. There are many remote sites where clashes were fought and no text was ever written about them. We also have an expo in the Fortress of Oradea. Subscribe to youtube and keep up with our research. We're WW2/WW1 collectors and diggers.

Below some small things from Oradea battlefields in Sept-Oct 1944 that we unearthed (both ground and attic finds):

WW2 Oradea video 1

WW2 Oradea video 2

WW2 Oradea video 3

greetings from Oradea
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0751 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]