Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian Legion in Siberia, Legiunea de tragatori
Carol I
Posted: July 24, 2004 08:22 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

I believe you have been looking for some info about 1st Yugoslav Volunteer Division in Dobrudzha 1916, haven't you? There is a good and long article about the rebellion of Croatian and Slovenian soldiers in that division in 1916.

I'll send you the address via PM right away... It is an article in several parts....

Will it be possible to post the article on this forum?
PM
Klemen
Posted: July 27, 2004 10:50 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 258

Zivjo Carol!

Will it be possible to post the article on this forum?

But of course, Carol! laugh.gif But the article is I am afraid only in Serbo-Croatian language, so.... :| :wink: Apparently the Serbs and Russians had great difficulties to raise the Yugoslav volunteer units in Odesa, Russia in 1916 and there were some open mutinies against Serbian officers and even some executions. The author mention 13 Croatian soldiers being executed in Odesa and numerous ases of desertions.

I didn't post the article here as it is too long, but I have provide direct links for all five parts of the article. Here they are:

http://www.hdpz.htnet.hr/broj140/matkovic.htm (Part I)
http://www.hdpz.htnet.hr/broj141/matkovic.htm (Part II)
http://www.hdpz.htnet.hr/broj142/matkovic.htm (Part III)
http://www.hdpz.htnet.hr/broj143/matkovic.htm (Part IV)
http://www.hdpz.htnet.hr/broj144/matkovic.htm (Part V)

BTW: Carol, any chance we could see any continueation of your translation about Romanian military chaplains on the Italian Front 1915-18? I am still looking for any Romanian personal testimonials from Italian (Isonzo) Front 1915-1918. Romanians are the last nation I haven't found a title. The other night I have been informed about memoires of a Slovakian soldier from HIR 15 from Trencsen and yesterday I have received titles from Serbia about several titles of Serbian soldiers in the k.u.k. Army in WW1, thus leaving Romanians as the only nation I haven't found anything yet. :cry:

Enjoy the article. :keep:

lp,

Klemen
PM
Carol I
Posted: July 27, 2004 11:31 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

But the article is I am afraid only in Serbo-Croatian language, so....  :|  :wink:

Thanks Klemen for the links. Your summary indicates some interesting facts, but unfortunately the language of the original article is indeed a problem for me.

BTW: Carol, any chance we could see any continueation of your translation about Romanian military chaplains on the Italian Front 1915-18?

I'm sorry for the long silence but I got the impression that it was not exactly what you were interested in. I will start again with the translation and post it on fragments as soon as they will be ready.
PM
Klemen
Posted: July 28, 2004 11:52 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 258

Zivjo Carol!

Thanks Klemen for the links.

You are welcome any time. biggrin.gif

Your summary indicates some interesting facts, but unfortunately the language of the original article is indeed a problem for me.

I thought the language will be the problem for you. smile.gif Yes the article is quite interested it is more like a report about what was going one with Croatian and Slovenian POWs who were sometimes forcibly recruited by Serbs for their army in Russia and salonika Front and how many of them refused to serve under Serbian command and how then Serbian officers punished them with executions and hars jail punishments. This is not what the official history has told the people in Kingdom of Yugoslavia after the Great War, when everyone was believed that thousands of Slovenes, Croats, Serbs and Bosnians from Austro-Hungarian Army have volunteered to serve with the Serbs. In reality this number was relatively small and most of them were forced. Interesting reading… I have recently also obtained a very interesting book about Yugoslav POWs in Italy 1915-1918 and there are some interesting stories and numbers about this. There are also some mention about Romanian POWs. There is also statistic how many Romanian POWs were kept in this or that Italian POW camp.

I'm sorry for the long silence but I got the impression that it was not exactly what you were interested in. I will start again with the translation and post it on fragments as soon as they will be ready.

No, no, no.. my dear Carol…. I was only waiting for you to translate that parts of the article that I was most looking for, i.e. the ones dealing with Romanian soldiers on the Isonzo Front. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

lp,

Klemen
PM
Carol I
Posted: February 06, 2005 10:38 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Here is a brief summary of the article by Traian Serendan: Mărturii despre legiunea voluntară română din Siberia [Documents on the Romanian Volunteers' Legion of Siberia] - Filatelia No. 7-8 (543-544), Jul.-Aug. 2001, pp. 14-15.

About 5000 Romanian prisoners in Russia volunteered for the Allied Expeditionary Corps, constituting the Romanian Legion of Siberia. The Romanian corps was based at Irkutsk and was made out of two battalions (Horia and Mărăşeşti), two armoured trains bearing the same names as the battalions, a reserve battalion, a company of pioneers, a squadron of lancers and a general staff company.

The legion was commanded by an officer of Czech origin, Colonel Kodletz. The legion was part of a multitude of armies led by Admiral Kolceak described in the article as "a cruel officer of limited reasoning who did not want to collaborate with the national corps under his command (Czech, Romanian, Polish, Serbian, Lithuanian) ".

The mission of the Romanian corps was to defend the Trans-Siberian railway, all the time being the rearguard of Kolceak's troops who were in retreat. They thus fought over 9000 km from Irkutsk to Vladivostok. First they fought against Bolshevik gangs and then against regular troops of the Red Army. About 2600 soldiers reached Vladivostok.

The author states that when the various national corps were forced to reach armistices with the Red Army, the Romanian Legion did not as Romania was still at war with the Bolsheviks in Europe.

In 1920, Romania has sent to Vladivostok a military mission composed of Officer Victor Cadere and NCO Raul Alevra that had to secure the repatriation of the Siberian POWs of Romanian origin (about 15000). On 23-30 May 1920, 2400 members of the Romanian Legion and 600 POWs were embarked on the British transport ships "Trasosmontes" and "Hendesgrum". About 14000 POWs of Romanian origin remained in Russia. A few were forcefully enrolled into the Red Army and some managed to return to Romania by their own means. However, nothing is known about the faith of the other ones (most of the remaining prisoners).
PM
petru
Posted: February 18, 2005 04:28 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 149

Any useful references from this paper.
PM
Carol I
Posted: February 20, 2005 08:06 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (petru @ Feb 18 2005, 05:28 PM)
Any useful references from this paper.

1. Romanian Military Archives, The General Headquarters Fund, Decorations Office, File no. 864
2. Monitorul Oficial no. 86/1918
3. Royal High Decree no. 3870/27.10.1939 in Monitorul Oficial no. 16/15.11.1939
4. V. Manea and C. Tucă 2000 Siberia, ultima escală Buletinul Arhivelor Militare Române 4
PM
agblume
Posted: May 29, 2006 04:19 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 688

Does anyone have information about the Romanian Legion in Siberia??? I believe it was established on 28 November 1918 (n.s.) but don't know location. I am very much interested in commanders, strength, units and dates and locations of operations, as well as what was the fate of the Legion, date of disbandment and return of men to Romania. Thanks very much for any help. Regards, agblume
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: May 29, 2006 06:11 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Take a look in the original thread on this topic: Rumunian Legion - Legiune de tragatori Transilvania-Bucovina.
PM
agblume
Posted: May 30, 2006 03:02 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hello Carol I, Many thanks for letting me know about the previous thread. The information about the Romanian Legion is very useful for me. Most grateful. Best regards, August
mateias
Posted: January 06, 2008 01:19 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 1704

I wonder if there are any pictures taken on the Siberian journey of the Romanian Legion, as I found about the Czech Legion on this site. Amazing pictures, including those from Vladivostok. One of them shows American troopers (see their hats !) led by major gen. Graves, Czechs' saviour. I also wonder if Czechs and Romanians were transported back home - at least for part of the journey - by the same ships.

http://www.drfaltin.org/archive.htm

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/wgraves.htm

This post has been edited by mateias on January 06, 2008 01:35 pm
PMEmail Poster
mateias
Posted: January 06, 2008 02:46 pm
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 1704

For agblume,

This is the link to an interesting article on this topic about Elie Bufnea, a former Legionnaire who wrote many books. He was later arrested by the communist regime (6 years jail).

According to Bufnea, the Legion included around 5,000 volunteers (1,735 fromTransilvania, 597 from Banat, 160 from Bucovina, 24 from the Kingdom of Romania, 7 from Bessarabia). Banatul, a rather small historical province, provided the largest ratio of volunteers per surface.

Romanians were in the rearguard of the Czech Legions, attacked viciously by the Bolscheviks and repulsing them valliantly. Russians called them Dikaia Divisia/The Savage Division.

http://www.revista.memoria.ro/?location=view_article&id=389

This post has been edited by mateias on January 11, 2008 04:38 pm
PMEmail Poster
agblume
Posted: January 07, 2008 04:24 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Hello mateias, Many thanks for the details and the link. Best regards, agblume
New Connaught Ranger
Posted: January 05, 2011 04:00 pm
Quote Post

Colonel

Member No.: 770

I was lucky enough to get this for Christmas as a present:-

user posted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CORPUL VOLUNTARILOR ROMANI DIN SIBERIA (1918-1920)

Album.

Corp of Romanian Volunteers in Siberia (1918-1920),

Album.

Authors:-

IOANA RUSTOIU

CUTEAN SMARANDA,

GABRIEL RUSTOIU.

Editura Marist, Baia Mare 2010.

Approx 167 pages, 15 pages of pictures of original hand-drawn maps,

178 B&W pictures of officers, men, in locations, armoured trains, locals etc.. etc..

39 pages x approximately 67 names per page of the men involved by company, name, where from, age, occupation etc.. etc..

I will add more detail as I digest the contents, so far I have seen the names of over 167 men from Hunedoara County where I live listed, including at least 5 from my wife's home town of Cugir, which interestingly enough fell inside the county borders of Hunedoara until the border lines were redefined in the 1980's (?).

Kevin in Deva biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
21 inf
Posted: January 05, 2011 05:14 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Group: Retired
Member No.: 1232

The book presented above by NCR might be bought at Muzeul Unirii, Alba Iulia.

It is a must have for those interested about the history of this less known military unit raised from romanians from Transilvania and Bukowina (Legiunea de trăgători transilvăneni-bucovineni, aka Legiunea de trăgători siberieni, aka Corpul 2 voluntari) in late years of ww1 and who fought together with Czech Legion (often better then czechs) against red army in Siberia. They returned home in 1921 if I remember well, via Japan, Singapore, Suez Channel, Constanţa.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.2091 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]