Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The reconstruction of Arges River Battle
Kepi
Posted: April 29, 2006 07:06 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Group: Members
Member No.: 680

Because the fortifications are again focused on this Forum, I seize the opportunity to give some details about the project on the Arges Battle Reconstruction that will happen on the 2nd of September at 1-2 Batteries, near the Mogosoaia Fort.

On the satellite image I outlined the different areas.

user posted image

In the red area only the reenactors access will be allowed, because it will be arranged as a stage set with trenches, barbered wire works, HMGs nests, field guns. On this terrain the two opposite forces: the Allies ( Romanians, helped by Russians and a few French ) will “fight” against the Central Powers armies (Austro-Hungarians, Germans, Bulgarians and Turks). This will be a good opportunity to present the public (staying on the stalls - yellow outlined - to be protected from the blank fire and pyrotechnical effects), some aspects of the WW1 warfare, to better understand the epoch and the circumstances under which the soldiers lived. A short commemorative ceremony for the soldiers who bravely fell for their countries will be held in the end of the show.

In the afternoon the public could visit the reenactors camp – outlined green - (in which they will live two days under military field conditions), the fort ruins -outlined blue -, will see the demonstrative stands of weapons, equipment, will learn about the Bucharest forts history, etc.

Reenactor groups from Hungary , Czech Republic, Austria, Great Britain, Bulgaria heave already confirmed their participation. I think about 100 reenactors (Romanians and foreign) will be present. They will come with their uniforms, equipment and edged weapons and the Military Museum will provide the fire weapons (mostly Mosin-Nagant rifles and Maxim HMGs) and the blank ammunition. The show will be seasoned with pyrotechnic effects.
PMEmail Poster
Kepi
Posted: April 30, 2006 06:37 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

I attach some images of the reconstruction show area. The photos are taken outside the area because the place is usually closed in order to keep it clean and avoid garbage scattering.

The Battle reconstruction area (red outlined), that will be a restricted place for the public.
user posted image

user posted image
The dogs are the place mascots.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Kepi on April 30, 2006 06:51 am
PMEmail Poster
Kepi
  Posted: April 30, 2006 06:50 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Some other photos:

user posted image
The reenactors camp (green outlined). There is enough place for military tents, field kitchen, and even for an army latrine biggrin.gif

user posted image
Entrance to the fort area (blue outlined)

user posted image
The entrance.
PMEmail Poster
Cristian
Posted: April 30, 2006 01:19 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 415

What about the homeless dogs? They can attack the reenactors, and real wounded people can be sent to hospital. Remember the japanese poor fellow killed downtown Bucarest.
PMEmail Poster
Wings_of_wrath
Posted: May 01, 2006 05:33 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 809

Well, if Kepi says those are the firing range "mascots", I'm sure they'll think of a method to control them during the actual event.
I mean, even the building I live in has its devout guardian in the shape of a mottled brown stray. The people in the building give him food, and in return he acts as an early warning device as well as means of armed assault... However, if we tell him to do something like go to a certain place and stay there, he usually does like told.
Another point would be the pyrotehnics.
On New year's eve, the above mentioned animal was terrified out of its fur by the blatant abuse of fireworks by the people in the building, and dared not show its nose for a full three days afterwards. If that is the case, I immagine 100 rifles and a few field cannons would have roughly the same effect in relation to the dogs in the photos.

Now, for a further few questions, focusing more on the actual fort than the reenactmant (before we even think of going into WW1, we must fight the War of Independence... twice, on 9 and 13-14 may.... biggrin.gif)
I know this battery is used as an army firing range, likewise for the 15-16 Battery and 17th Fort (Domnesti). I also know, that the 14th and 15th Forts (Broscarei and Magurele) still function as military units (for the Gendarmerie) and the 3rd fort (Otopeni) is part of an Army Signal Corps unit. Also, the 3-4 Battery is sometimes used as training grounds for the BAT (SRI's Anti-Terrorism Brigade).
Keeping all this in mind, what exactly is written on the yellow sign in the pictures?
Is it "keep out - offenders will be shot", or more likely "keep out- offenders will be bitten"?

But jokes apart, the distance from the fence to the trees in the background looks larger in the sattelite photograph than in your pictures, and I must say the whole place looks awfully cramped.
Will there be enough room for the fortified lines?
What will happen to the fence during the event? Will it be teken down and reinstalled afterwards?
And, most crucial, will we be digging the trenches ourselves like real WW1 soldiers would have done, or will somebody else see to it?

This post has been edited by Wings_of_wrath on May 01, 2006 06:15 am
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Kepi
Posted: May 01, 2006 07:00 am
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (Cristian @ Apr 30 2006, 01:19 PM)
What about the homeless dogs? They can attack the reenactors, and real wounded people can be sent to hospital. Remember the japanese poor fellow killed downtown Bucarest.

The homeless dogs are always a problem in Romania. The dogs you have seen in the photos are the shooting range guards. When we came to take the photos, they barked us (one of the female had cubs), smell us, they begged us some food ( as they are accustomed with the officers’ families who sometimes picnic in that area) and finally accepted us.

Of course, these dogs will be isolated during the September event, especially because it will be a lot of noise and many people (including foreigners) will participate.
PMEmail Poster
Kepi
Posted: May 01, 2006 03:48 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (Wings_of_wrath @ May 1 2006, 05:33 AM)
Keeping all this in mind, what exactly is written on the yellow sign in the pictures?
Is it "keep out - offenders will be shot", or more likely "keep out- offenders will be bitten"?

But jokes apart, the distance from the fence to the trees in the background looks larger in the sattelite photograph than in your pictures, and I must say the whole place looks awfully cramped.
Will there be enough room for the fortified lines?
What will happen to the fence during the event? Will it be teken down and reinstalled afterwards?
And, most crucial, will we be digging the trenches ourselves like real WW1 soldiers would have done, or will somebody else see to it?

user posted image
The yellow sign has the surprising warning “Dangerous working area” (“Zona de lucru periculoasa”) and maybe it refers to the dangerous unprotected ruins of the Fort. As I told in my previous post, sometimes people of the Otopeni military unit with their families come there for picnics and this could be a warning for those who are tempted to investigate the underground vestiges.

The terrain is the Otopeni military unit property and Colonel Ceraceanu said that he recently surrounded and cleaned it from garbage and other modern constructions debris.
It is not very large (about 50 x 100 meters) but it has a variety of relief (plane with an easy slope to the right, on the fort proximity) and vegetation ( a few trees, some bushes and meadow). The whole space/stage must be visible for the public. Colonel Ceraceanu intends to clean the area outside the perimeter, including the access road from the Ring and he will borrow some metallic stalls from a local stadium. They will be installed outside the fence. So the whole show area will be visible for the public. The fence will not be taken down because it’s a safety barrier between the public and the dangerous area on which the reenactors will fire blank ammo, and (small) explosive charges will be detonated as pyrotechnic effects.

It is no time to dig trenches and I wonder if Colonel Ceraceanu, who already kindly accepted to cut some brushes, according the needs of the battle scenario, and to provide any assistance we need for the show, will also accept to hole his picnic/recreation area. But I’m sure that the set will be most suggestive for a WW1 battle reconstruction. Afterwards, this is only a small scale demonstration of the WW1 warfare.

The program of this event is as fallows:

• Friday 1st September, by 6:00 PM - arriving of the reenactors on the Fort Mogosoaia camp (Batteries 1-2);
• Quartering, equipping in WW1 attire, heaving lunch;
• Commemorative march in Bucharest down town, from the Royal Palace to the Grave of the Unknown Soldier, in Park Carol, where a short ceremonial will be held (8:00 to 10:00 PM);
• Coming back to the Fort Mogosoaia camp, taps (by 11:00 PM);
• Saturday 2nd September: reveille (6:00 AM), gym training, camp arranging;
• Breakfast (7:30 AM);
• From 8:30 AM, weapons delivery, military training, the rehearsal of the reenactment show;
• 12:00 AM – 1:00 PM, dinner, blank ammo handover;
• 1:00 – 4:00 PM – military commemorative ceremonial, drill and shooting demonstrations according the WW1 regulations ( foreign guests could make demonstrations of their armies drill), the reconstruction of the Battle of Arges River, with blank fire weapons and pyrotechnic effects, final march and praise for the fallen soldiers;
• 4:00 – 7:00 PM - visit of Fort Mogosoaia and historical exhibitions organized by the Military Museum, visit of the re-enactors quarters, militaria fair, etc.
• 7:00 – 10:00 PM - lunch and comradeship party;
• 11:00 PM - taps;
• Sunday 3rd September: reveille (6:00 AM), gym training, camp arranging;
• About 8:30 AM the reenactors are leaving for their homes.

As you see, the public access will be allowed only on Saturday 2nd of September, from 1,00 to 7,00 PM, when also the demonstrations, the battle show and the Museum stands could be seen. In the rest of the time the reenactors will live under field conditions and military discipline for two days.

This post has been edited by Kepi on May 03, 2006 04:07 pm
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
  Posted: May 03, 2006 12:22 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

QUOTE (Kepi @ May 1 2006, 03:48 PM)
• Friday 8th September, by 6:00 PM - arriving of the reenactors on the Fort Mogosoaia camp (Batteries 1-2);
• Commemorative march in Bucharest down town, from the Royal Palace to the Grave of the Unknown Soldier, in Park Carol, where a short ceremonial will be held (8:00 to 10:00 PM);
• Saturday 9th September: reveille (6:00 AM), gym training, camp arranging;
• From 8:30 AM, weapons delivery, military training, the rehearsal of the reenactment show;
• 1:00 – 4:00 PM – military commemorative ceremonial, drill and shooting demonstrations according the WW1 regulations ( foreign guests could make demonstrations of their armies drill), the reconstruction of the Battle of Arges River, with blank fire weapons and pyrotechnic effects, final march and praise for the fallen soldiers;
• 4:00 – 7:00 PM - visit of Fort Mogosoaia and historical exhibitions organized by the Military Museum, visit of the re-enactors quarters, militaria fair, etc.
• Sunday 10th September: reveille (6:00 AM), gym training, camp arranging;

As you see, the public access will be allowed only on Saturday 2nd of September, from 1,00 to 7,00 PM, when also the demonstrations, the battle show and the Museum stands could be seen. In the rest of the time the reenactors will live under field conditions and military discipline for two days.

What is the exact date of the event, as you got me confused? wacko.gif
Is it 2nd or 9th September??

"gym training"!?? You're probably referring to physical training (PT), right?
PMEmail Poster
cipiamon
Posted: May 03, 2006 01:58 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 115

I might be missing out something, but can WE be the soliders? smile.gif or do you need to be mamber of a reenactment society or to have the some of the equipment???
PM
Kepi
Posted: May 03, 2006 04:16 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (mihnea @ May 3 2006, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (Kepi @ May 1 2006, 03:48 PM)
• Friday 8th September, by 6:00 PM - arriving of the reenactors on the Fort Mogosoaia camp (Batteries 1-2);
• Saturday 9th September: reveille (6:00 AM), gym training, camp arranging;
• 1:00 – 4:00 PM – military commemorative ceremonial, drill and shooting demonstrations according the WW1 regulations ( foreign guests could make demonstrations of their armies drill), the reconstruction of  the Battle of Arges River, with blank fire weapons and pyrotechnic effects, final march and praise for the fallen soldiers;
• Sunday 10th September: reveille (6:00 AM), gym training, camp arranging;

What is the exact date of the event, as you got me confused? wacko.gif
Is it 2nd or 9th September??

"gym training"!?? You're probably referring to physical training (PT), right?

You’re obviously right. It’s my mistake.

The right date of Arges battle reconstruction is 2nd of September. I already corrected my post. I just copied an old program on which was written a later date for this event.

I just don’t know how to translate “gimnastica de inviorare” in english.
PMEmail Poster
Kepi
Posted: May 03, 2006 04:50 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

QUOTE (cipiamon @ May 3 2006, 01:58 PM)
I might be missing out something, but can WE be the soliders? smile.gif or do you need to be mamber of a reenactment society or to have the some of the equipment???

Unfortunately the reenactment movement in Romania is not too large. Now we can range about 13 reenactors (11 privates and NCOs + 2 officers) for the 6th Dorobantzes Regiment, 3 reenactors of the 4th Artillery Regiment (from Ploiesti), and maybe a few other enthousiasts who say that they would like to join us. The reenactors are willing to make or acquire uniforms & equipment and get (hopefully in the future) weapons. To make a kit is not easy or cheap, and usually reenactors help or lend each other items surplus or borrow from the Museum (if the Museum has available repros).

For the September show I don’t think to gather more than 15-16 uniformed (and trained) reenactors. For the rest of “Romanians side” I rely again on Colonel Ceraceanu’s good will and do hope to have another 10-15 extras (real soldiers equipped with WW1 prop uniforms, borrowed from some cinema studio).

It’s very important to have at least 30 Romanians to “fight” the Central Powers armies (their reenactors will come with their own uniforms and equipment). It seems that about 10-15 “Russians” (played by Czechs and British) will join us.

Coming back to your question, any help is most welcomed. If the respective volunteer could also bring some equipment stuff, it’s better. On the other hand, the reenactors (real or volunteers) should involve and observe the whole reconstruction program, including to live two days in a camp on military basis.

A first contact could be established during the Museum’s Open Gates of 13th-14th of May.

This post has been edited by Kepi on May 03, 2006 04:54 pm
PMEmail Poster
rix
Posted: May 09, 2006 06:20 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 859

We will be there (Museum’s Open Gates of 13th-14th of May. )
PMEmail Poster
cipiamon
Posted: May 09, 2006 06:29 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 115

Is there a certin hour?
PM
dragos
Posted: May 09, 2006 07:20 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

For Museum's "Open Gates", please report here: http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?showtopic=3228 smile.gif
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
mihnea
Posted: May 09, 2006 07:21 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

QUOTE (cipiamon @ May 9 2006, 06:29 PM)
Is there a certin hour?

The action starts at 10:00 and ends at 14:00 but the museum closes at 17:00.

EDITED: I haven't seen what dragos written when I posted. Sorry

This post has been edited by mihnea on May 09, 2006 07:25 pm
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (9) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0362 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]