Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Romanian contribution to the shortening of the war
Paulus
Posted: August 27, 2003 11:42 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 89

Just about the Romanian switching of side, I've read in a book that the war would have been at least 6 months longer if Romanian troops continued the battle against the Soviets, and I'm quite sure this would have been, as far as Axis still had lots of Oil and Industry capacities in Romania and Hungary, who were immediately threatened and loosed afted September ...

However they were still considered as a looser (as the Axis side) country at the end of the war ...
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
C-2
Posted: August 27, 2003 07:10 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

I'd say 6 weeks not months!
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: August 28, 2003 12:53 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Just about the Romanian switching of side, I've read in a book that the war would have been at least 6 months longer if Romanian troops continued the battle against the Soviets, and I'm quite sure this would have been...

That's the official point of view of Rumanian historiography, intended to boost the importance of the Rumanian about-face. However, if one seriously weighs the actual situation of the German forces in South-Eastern Europe in late August 1944, can easily reach the same conclusion that 'Dr. C-2' reached, namely that the war would have been longer not 6 months but 6 weeks, the most.
The most important defece line that would somewhat delay the Red Army's advance would have been the Carpathians, which could have been defended by a joint German-Rumanian-Hungarian force. However, this did not happen due to the coup of Aug. 23. Therefore, the Soviets could easily penetrate the Carpathians with the help of Rumanian soldiers and local Rumanians.

Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
dragos
Posted: August 29, 2003 08:21 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

I believe the Romania's changing of sides had a stronger influence in the shortening of the war. The prompt opening of the Focsani "gate" cleared the way to the central and southern sectors of the eastern front. The following advance was one of the fastest in the history of ww2: between 200 and 700 km in two weeks. Otherwise, even if Focsani "gate" was forced sooner or later by the Soviets, the Axis troops defending the Transylvanian perimeter would have been prepared for a better defense. So I go for somewhere between 6 weeks and 6 months.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
mars
Posted: August 29, 2003 02:00 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 70

I do not mean any dis-respect to those brave Rumanian soldiers, but I have to say for Soviet red army, the Rumania-Transylvanian -Hungary-Austria was only a secondary-rate direction. Just remember that at the direction (Warsaw-Berlin), each Soviet Red army Front had 2 tank army, each had at least 3 sometimes 4 tank/Mechanic Corps, about 700-900 most modern Russian tanks. At Rumania-Hungary direction, 2 Soviet Front together only had 1 tank army, which only had 2 tank/Mechani Corps, 50% of them were lend-lease American tanks
PM
Geto-Dacul
Posted: August 29, 2003 03:41 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 9

mars wrote :

but I have to say for Soviet red army, the Rumania-Transylvanian -Hungary-Austria was only a secondary-rate direction.

Think so? In 1944-45, it was a race between the US and Soviets for influence in Europe. Taking Berlin was only a matter of time... Consolidating Soviet Union's positions in the Balkans was of the greatest importance, because it was part of the Russian imperialist dream of controling the Danube, and the straits.

Just remember that at the direction (Warsaw-Berlin), each Soviet Red army Front had 2 tank army, each had at least 3 sometimes 4 tank/Mechanic Corps, about 700-900 most modern Russian tanks.

The Axis forces of Romania & Balkans were not of the importance of those defending the gateway to Berlin.
PMUsers Website
Paulus
Posted: September 03, 2003 01:02 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

If Romanian army fought bravely some months more (suppose January 1945) I think the Reds Wouldn't have avdanced more than southern part of Romania and would have taken serious losses.
I think Romania's army was still a powerful element of Axis forces, it had an important number of soldiers, am I wrong ?
So when the Germans lost all those divisions, they probably had another big lack of troops for the continuation of the war, besides numerous romanian divisions were now fighting 'em ...
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
C-2
Posted: September 03, 2003 06:03 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

In 44 many Romanians had enough of the war.Especialy after Stalingrad.
They felt it's not their war.And they were forced in it.
It was imposible to hold on ,especialy with the USAF bombing!
Glad you like the site!
PMUsers Website
inahurry
Posted: September 06, 2003 02:28 am
Quote Post

Sergent
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 61

Hmmm, and I thought (I didn't but let's pretend I did) this site could allow some Romanian historiography information to be accesed by other than Romanians and maybe those can judge by themselves. Guess the Hungarian vigilance never ends. Anyway, the "6 months" was a statement first made in the west, "hot", right after August 23, 1944. [ I forgot, there's always Boia (Lucian nu ardei), when is he going to "de-myth-ize (or how's spelled) the Romanian participation in WW2? ]
PM
dragos
Posted: September 06, 2003 09:55 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

Anyway, the \"6 months\" was a statement first made in the west, \"hot\", right after August 23, 1944.

It was France, I believe, on a radio broadcast.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: September 06, 2003 10:05 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

It was radio station Paris and the message was:
France considers that the Romanian contribution made the war 6 months shorter
Paulus
Posted: September 06, 2003 08:06 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

What revolted me most is that Romania was treated if it was one of the countries who lost the war ... isn't it right ?

However, in which proportions did romanian sldiers were motivated for the war to the West ?
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
C-2
Posted: September 06, 2003 09:45 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

At the first part of the campain ,motivation was high.
There were Basarabia and Bucovina,which were taken after the Ribent.-molot. pact.
After it there were voices which asked not to cont.the campain far into Russia,but the army was still motivated and moral was high.
The decline came after Stalingrad,and as the losses became enorm and the front line was coming toward the Romanian borders ,teh soldiers felt they are involved in a war that wasn't theirs.
So many felt that the 23/8/44 came as a miracle since all expected an unconditional surrender in the next few Weeks/months...
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: September 07, 2003 06:44 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Paulus was asking about the anti-Axis campaign. He said West, you know, where Hungary, Slovakia and Austria are.

During the fights in Transylvania motivation was high, but after that it started to decline, as they got further and further from home and as the Red Army treated them more badly. How would you feel if you knew that your "ally" is taking away your supplies and even your victories (see Budapest for example)?
Paulus
Posted: September 07, 2003 08:27 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Paulus was asking about the anti-Axis campaign. He said West, you know, where Hungary, Slovakia and Austria are.  

I was interested by both posts :wink:

In effect, I've heard about problems with the Red Army ...
When I read articles about the campaign to the west in the ancient website I saw they (romanian force) also took as heavy losses as they took on the East ... Am I right ?
PMUsers WebsiteAOL
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1665 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]