Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Maresal tank destroyer, development
dragos
Posted: December 26, 2005 09:54 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Dénes @ Dec 26 2005, 10:36 PM)
The design work of the 'Hetzer' was completed in December 1943. On January 24, the full-scale wooden mock up was finished.
The first three prototypes rolled off production line in March 1944.

Thus it appears that the two designs were developed more or less in parallel, the German-Czech team having a slight headstart.

The first prototype of Maresal, M 00, was tested at Suditi trial grounds on 30 July 1943. Hitler approved the development of the "Hetzer" project on 7 December 1943. During the same month Romania presented the Germans the blueprints of the M 04 prototype.

In May 1944, Lt.Col. Ventz, the delegate of Waffen Amt, declared that the Hetzer followed the Romanian solutions.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: December 26, 2005 09:59 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (mabadesc @ Dec 27 2005, 12:11 AM)
Ventz said that after Romania will have 1000 Maresals the Romanian army will be much more effective, and the Maresal will prove to be "ein grosser Hetzer" for the Russians.

Doesn't this imply, however, that the Hetzer was already in existence while trials were barely being carried out for the Maresal?

The first protoype of Maresal was completed months before the project of Hetzer was approved (see above). However it is true and logical that it took longer to Romanians to put the Maresal into production than to Germans to start the production line for Hetzer.

This post has been edited by dragos on December 26, 2005 10:04 pm
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos03
Posted: December 26, 2005 10:22 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Group: Members
Member No.: 163

In the report, "ein grosser hetzer" was translated as "un adversar suparator" (an annoying opponent) [for the Russians].

"Hetzer" was not an official name for the German vehicle anyway.
PM
mihnea
Posted: December 26, 2005 10:49 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

Comparison of the Stug III, Hetzer and Maresal, at the same scale.

user posted image

This drawing was posted some time ago on http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php...aresal&start=15
PMEmail Poster
Dénes
Posted: December 26, 2005 11:14 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

Since I am hardly an expert in armour, I sent the question to one of the top experts of the topic, Dr. Charles Kliment, who authored several books on this very subject.
I will post his answer as soon as I'll receive it.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
dragos03
Posted: December 26, 2005 11:37 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Did Mr. Kliment ever study the Romanian archives?
PM
Dénes
Posted: December 27, 2005 01:10 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

I don't think so. However, he did study extensively the Czech and German archives. And he co-authored a book on the Hetzer, which should give him some credibility. But let's wait for his answer first.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on December 27, 2005 01:15 am
Cantacuzino
Posted: December 27, 2005 03:57 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Before leaving, the 2 officers said that Maresal is a very good AFV and they learned a lot from it. Ventz said that after Romania will have 1000 Maresals the Romanian army will be much more effective, and the Maresal will prove to be "ein grosser Hetzer" for the Russians.

1000 tanks like that ... Wow!!! ( Source Steel Master )

user posted image

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on December 27, 2005 04:00 am
PM
mihnea
Posted: December 27, 2005 02:18 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Here is the same picture that dragos has posted but of a better quality.

user posted image

Suorce: "Trupele Blindate din armata romana 1919-1947" Cornel I. Scafes, Horia Vl. Serbanescu, Ioan I. Scafes.

This post has been edited by mihnea on December 27, 2005 02:20 pm
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: December 27, 2005 02:49 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

No MG on the Maresal???? ohmy.gif
PMUsers Website
mihnea
Posted: December 27, 2005 03:09 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

QUOTE (C-2 @ Dec 27 2005, 02:49 PM)
No MG on the Maresal???? ohmy.gif

There is one good reason not to put one in the Maresal: the two man crew had already many tasks: finding targets, aiming, loading, driving and others, so operating an MG was too much.

This post has been edited by mihnea on December 27, 2005 03:10 pm
PMEmail Poster
mabadesc
Posted: December 27, 2005 03:21 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 40

In the report, "ein grosser hetzer" was translated as "un adversar suparator" (an annoying opponent) [for the Russians].

Dragos03,

Quite possible, but in the report, the wording is "ein grosser Hetzer" - with capital H.

The phrase /un adversar suparator/ could be a personal comment added by the narrator, not a direct translation.

Also, isn't the statement incomplete?
"...vinatorul de care Maresal....va fi un agitator mai mare pentru rusi" (ein grosser Hetzer)
The comparison is missing - mai mare decit ce?

Could it be that Ventz and Haymann are talking about "ein grosser Hetzer", meaning - a larger version of the Hetzer?

It's quite possible that I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

This post has been edited by mabadesc on December 27, 2005 03:28 pm
PM
Dénes
Posted: December 27, 2005 03:56 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Here is the answer I received from Mr. Kliment, regarding the 'Maresal' vs. the 'Hetzer':
The first Maresal was built on the Soviet T60 light tank, and was armed with the Soviet 122 mm howitzer. The gun was clearly too heavy for such a light chassis.

The second accepted prototype M-05 was based on 38(t) chassis, and had the Renault tank engine and gear box and a Romanian 75mm antitank gun. While the Hetzer's front plate was 60 mm thick, the Maresal's was only 20 mm. Also, its crew was 2 persons. I can hardly imagine the second person to be a commander, loader, gunner and radio operator at the same time (we saw how the French fared with their three-man crews in 1940).

While the Hetzers's production began in March 1944, and first 23 vehicles were supplied to the troops in April, the Romanian design team was finalizing the design of the M-05 at the same time. The test were not finished until August 1944, and full manufacturing never started.

The BMM design team started working on the Hetzer in October 1943, at the same time the Romanian construction team started with the early M-01 - M-03 prototypes.

I personally think that both teams arrived at the very similar shape of the hull  independently, as I do not know of any direct contacts between the two design teams.

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on December 27, 2005 03:57 pm
dragos03
Posted: December 27, 2005 04:29 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

As i suspected from the start, Mr. Kliment's opinion is irrelevant in this case. Maybe you could tell him that the Germans recieved the plans of Maresal in December 1943 and that two officers from the Hetzer's design team saw a working prototype of Maresal before they completed the drawings for the German vehicle.

Anyway, i think this debate is pointless, since Ventz himself admitted later that they used some of Maresal's features in the Hetzer.
PM
dragos
Posted: December 27, 2005 04:29 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Denes, it is now clear that for Mr. Kliment the subject Maresal is pretty obscure given the inaccuracies he wrote*, but when he stated that he does not know of any direct contacts between the Romanian and German design teams it appears that he does not even had at hand the work "Third Axis Fourth Ally" by Mark Axworthy, a more credible source on this subject since the author documented with the help of Romanian historians and archives.

*) "The second accepted prototype M-05 was based on 38(t) chassis, and had the Renault tank engine and gear box"

M-05 chassis: Rogifer
Engine: Hotchkiss H-39
Gear box: Hotchkiss

"The BMM design team started working on the Hetzer in October 1943, at the same time the Romanian construction team started with the early M-01 - M-03 prototypes."

The Romanian technicians started the research on the to-be-called "Maresal" project in the end of 1942, and the M-00 prototype was ready for testing on 30 July 1943.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0341 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]