Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (17) « First ... 14 15 [16] 17   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Are there any Romanian WWII reenactment societies?
Agarici
Posted: July 29, 2008 12:32 pm
Quote Post

Maior

Group: Members
Member No.: 522

QUOTE (Kepi @ September 30, 2005 11:27 am)
More items of uniform:

user posted image
The great coat.

user posted image
M.1939 laced boots and leggings, replaced from 1942 by puttees.

user posted image
M. 1939 equipment.

A few question for the uniform experts:

- What was the use/role of/for these leggings? Were the M 1939 boots lower than, say, those used by the British at the time (without leggings, as far as I know) or that the boots used in the Romanian army before 1989? What would be an appropriate Romanian translation for leggings, “ghetre”? In fact, why were the puttees used during the period (and earlier)? I read somewhere that it was in order to keep the lower leg stiffer and to prevent injuries during marches is that right?

- Were the Romanian boots and leggings brown for the army and black for the navy and air force?

- Was there any type of officially designated winter headdress for the Romanian army, during (and especially before) its involvement in WW II? From what I saw in the photos from the period, the traditional “peasant style” fur/wool caps were used, without having even an insignia. Not to mention that, in the eventuality of a trench warfare, the sheer height of that cap would have been a possible handicap and would make its use under the steel helmet impossible. So any idea why, with a monarch obsessed by uniforms and their aspect, and in a country with harsh winters, it was an option for a not so practical design of the winter headgear (not to mention its rather primitive aspect as a piece of modern uniform)?

- What were the official equipment items which the Romanian army junior officers (platoon or company commanders) were supposed to carry during a campaign, in 1939-1940 (or early in the war)? For example, were they issued with a gas mask? Did they (officially or habitually) carry another weapon besides the pistol (an SMG, or before that a rifle)?

Thank you!
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: July 29, 2008 02:25 pm
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

- The 1939 uniform used straight pants to be used with leggings, the ones in the drawing. But the 1941 uniform was a come back to the m1924 pants witch were tight on the calf and puttees as they were cheaper to manufacture. Why putties?? I think they were considered sporty wear for hiking etc. in the era. Also to keep mud and little rocks out of the boot. Although the norm in WWII was to sear the boots over the putties although in WWI putties were worn over the boot.

-The boots were black with black leggings for all units except mountain troops that used brown special boots. The WWI and inter war era, boots were swayed in there natural color.

-The fur cap was used until about 42-43 when a Russian type fur cap was introduced. No helmet would stop a rifle bullet in WWII at normal engagement ranges so with or without helmet if you were hit you were dead or badly injured. The traditional fur cap is comfortable and worm, it's simple but effective.

- The NCO's had the same equipment as the soldiers the officers had generally a pistol, binoculars belt with diagonal, map case, gas mask but they could also carry a bread bag, and maybe a Beretta 38A or MP 28, this is for early war.
PMEmail Poster
Agarici
Posted: July 30, 2008 11:40 am
Quote Post

Maior

Thank you, Mihnea!

Off-topic now, but continuing the discussion from another section of the forum, does anybody have any data concerning the number and type of SMG’s which existed in the Romanian army in the beginning of WW 2? I’m especially interested in the period until June-July 1940 (the Soviet ultimatum regarding Besserabia), but any estimates for the years before 1941 would be better than nothing.

PMEmail Poster
rixard
Posted: June 25, 2011 01:14 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 3059

QUOTE (mihnea @ January 10, 2006 03:09 pm)
Now the bread bags:

In all the pictures: the ones on the left and right are clearly post war, the one in the middle is from WWII.

In the pictures the difference in size is clearly visible and the color of the leather is different the WWII one has the leather painted very dark green-gray combination. This paint was used only in WWII.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Here are some detailed pictures of the markings on the interior of the covering flap.
The ADMIS (translated: accepted) marking was standard for the WWII era made objects; there is also a year marked on the flap, 1942. Not very clear in this picture.
user posted image

The post war ones have different indescribable markings.
user posted image
user posted image

The straps for the mess tin are all post war; the WWII ones didn’t have the metal end it was simply sewn.
user posted image
user posted image

If I understand correctly that in your photo only post war bread bags? Thank you.
PMEmail Poster
mihnea
Posted: June 27, 2011 07:01 am
Quote Post

Capitan

Member No.: 679

The one in the middle is WWII, it's smaller than the others.
PMEmail Poster
rixard
Posted: June 27, 2011 10:24 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 3059

You wrote that the metal lugs on the straps are characteristic of post war bread bags, and the picture at all bread bags metal end?
PMEmail Poster
NadiaNicu
Posted: December 06, 2011 01:32 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 3210

Any Romanian groups near Ohio?
PMEmail Poster
sid guttridge
Posted: July 08, 2014 12:19 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi Guys,

It is nearly ten years since I opened this thread with a question about re-enactment in Romania.

How is the hobby doing now?

Are there more re-enactment groups today?

A curious Sid.
PMEmail Poster
ionionescu
Posted: July 09, 2014 09:18 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 2794

Hi Sid, I am not an expert on the subject but this is a copy/paste of a post I made an year of so ago in response to a similar question. I believe there is one more re-enacment group now but this is the big picture:

There are 4 main Romanian reeancment groups, at this moment, focusing mainly, but not exclusively,  on WW1 and WW2, with 20 to 25 members and supporters each, totalling about 100 reenactors. Here are their websites (order is chosen randomly):

Asociația 6 Dorobanți: http://www.6dorobanti.ro/
Asociația Tradiția Militară: http://www.traditia-militara.ro/
Asociația Datina Străbună: http://datinastrabuna.ro/
Asociatia Deutsches Freikorps: http://deutschesfreikorps.ro/

As far as I know, all of them are based in Bucharest, except Asociația Datina Străbună which is based in Oradea or Cluj, don't know for sure. All the sites above have forums where you can discuss in Romanian or English language. Regards!
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Agarici
Posted: July 11, 2014 11:57 am
Quote Post

Maior

Dear Sid, my oppinion is that the situation have substantially improved since 2004-2005, and the Romanian reenactors are now far more present in the public space. I recentlly saw a Romanian documentary (filmed in 2009) about them. The emphais was (mainly) on the Roman-Dacian times (wars) reenactment, done on quite an impressive scale, also with international participation. Apart from that, one of the members of a Bucharest-based reenactment association impersonated (very credible, in my view) a Confederate brigadier-general...
PMEmail Poster
Elvetian
Posted: October 14, 2014 08:38 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 3451

Just received today my Uniform items from Dragos Diaconu.
I asked him to make me a visor, jacket and trousers for a Locotenent-Colonel of the engineers corps (Arma Geniu in romanian language) which is in the generals staff.

I have to admit that i am more the pleased how it came out.
As mentioned the complete Visor, Jacket with shoulderboards, Aguilletes and collar patches & Trousers are from: dragosdd@yahoo.com

The Jacket is the model 1934 with some modifications of the order nr.7/4.4.1941 .
The ribbons represent:
1st row; left to right
  • COROANA ROMANIEI
  • VIRTUTEA MILITARA
  • CRUCEA COMEMORATIVA A RAZBOIULUI 1916-1918

2nd row; left to right
  • MEDALIA VICTORIEI
  • MEDALIA JUBILIARA CAROL I
  • MEDALIA APARATORII INDEPENDENTEI
  • MEDALIA SERVICIU CREDINCIOS

The Insignia on the right shoulder is for officers who attended and breveted the war officers war school. It's unfortunatelly no original. I made it from another officers brevet insignia while adding the big crown, a new coat of arms, a crown to the eagles head and the small wings below the eagle.

The ribbon bar is made from single reproduction ribbons i ordered locally at okazii.ro
and then sewed them together. Dragos Diaconu again helped me to devine which ribbons could be added to a officer of this rank.

The belt is also ordered at okazii.ro and is a RSR-belt. But i'd say it's close enough.

I thank at this point again Dragos Diaconu for all his help and outstanding uniform.

But better i let the images speek.

1st the visor
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

2nd the Jacket & trousers
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The complete uniform with a appropriate background.
Monumentul "Eroilor din Arma Geniului" in Bukarest. wink.gif
user posted image

Any comments welcome.
Greetings
Robert

This post has been edited by Elvetian on October 15, 2014 07:06 am
PMEmail Poster
Radub
Posted: October 15, 2014 09:42 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

That looks impressive. Does Dragos Diaconu make such uniforms (as a tailor) or is he a retailer of ready-made uniforms? Can he make other types of uniforms?
Radu
Elvetian
Posted: October 15, 2014 03:23 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

QUOTE (Radub @ October 15, 2014 01:42 pm)
That looks impressive. Does Dragos Diaconu make such uniforms (as a tailor) or is he a retailer of ready-made uniforms? Can he make other types of uniforms?
Radu

Hi Radu,

glad you like it.
Romanian ready-made uniforms doesn't exist to my knowledgment.

Mr.Diaconu can, as i understood, make you any kind of romanian uniform according to your measurements and needs.

I gave him a overview what i wanted and my measurements and all was done specificaly for me.
The uniform fitted like a glove to my body.
Was more then pleased about how it came out and also the quality.
I can highly recommend his work.
PMEmail Poster
ionionescu
Posted: October 28, 2014 12:25 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 2794

QUOTE (Elvetian @ October 14, 2014 09:38 pm)
Just received today my Uniform items from Dragos Diaconu.

Sharp looking uniform, very well done!

QUOTE (Elvetian @ October 14, 2014 09:38 pm)
The Insignia on the right shoulder is for officers who attended and breveted the war officers war school. It's unfortunatelly no original. I made it from another officers brevet insignia while adding the big crown, a new coat of arms, a crown to the eagles head and the small wings below the eagle.

I am not so sure about modifying the original (communist?) insignia, but if the process can be reversed and brought back to original than I guess its OK.

smile.gif
Elvetian
Posted: January 30, 2015 01:16 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Here some of the updates/details i did to my Romanian officer uniform.

Overall look:
user posted image

Neckorder "Order of the Crown" original piece:
user posted image

Ribbon bar:
user posted image

Insignia Military Academy (it's a actual insignia from now but modified with crowns)
user posted image

Breast star "Order of the Crown md 1938":
user posted image

Insignia Aviator:
user posted image

Insignia "Trupele de Geniu"
user posted image

Greetings
Robert
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (17) « First ... 14 15 [16] 17  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0331 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]