Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (17) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Are there any Romanian WWII reenactment societies?
sid guttridge
Posted: August 10, 2005 09:05 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Group: Members
Member No.: 591

All over Europe and the US there are various re-enactment societies and clubs who turn out for displays with WWII military uniforms, weaponry, transport and equipment.

Are there any equivalents in Romania?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: August 10, 2005 10:36 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 328

once I saw a movie called "what planet are you from?" laugh.gif
PMUsers Website
sid guttridge
Posted: August 10, 2005 11:24 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi D-13th Mytzu,

The twin planets of Hope and Expectation.

I presume your answer is "No"?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
C-2
Posted: August 10, 2005 12:28 pm
Quote Post

General Medic
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 19

Sid,
Mytzu is right..
For many years the Romanian history had a hole in it. (between 1877-1947)
Old uniforms were burned medals hidden or destroyed.
Imagine yourself that there is no IAR 80 in any Romanian museum.! mad.gif
Commies tried to erase any evidence of the past.
So ....
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: August 10, 2005 01:41 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Re-enactment is not necessarily about original items (uniform, weapons, etc.), as modern replicas, that are historically accurate, can also be used for this purpose.

In Hungary there is a vivid re-enactment movement (incl. from medieval ages) - I posted some photos a while ago - therefore, I see no reason why something similar to happen in Rumania, too.

Gen. Dénes
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Victor
Posted: August 10, 2005 02:39 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The only "re-enacting" I am familiar with is done by several researches at the National Military Museum. They participated recently to a WWI re-enactment in Hungary and during the Days of the National Military Museum they dress up in old uniforms. But that's about it.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
PanzerKing
Posted: August 10, 2005 04:53 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 29

I wish we could get a couple of T-4s and TACAMs and all of us here at the forum to do a Romanian battle. That would be awesome!

When I'm a millionaire, I'll work on this ok? laugh.gif
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
Jeff_S
Posted: August 10, 2005 05:54 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

QUOTE (PanzerKing @ Aug 10 2005, 04:53 PM)
When I'm a millionaire, I'll work on this ok?  laugh.gif

Should we be expecting this imminently? If so, I have a couple projects that need financing, and they have nothing to do with reenacting. tongue.gif

Back on topic, I know that there are reenactors in Russia, and from Denes' post Hungary too... maybe it just needs more time to take root. Romanians living abroad could see reenactments in their host countries, say "we could do this in Romania", and get things started when they return.

Jeff (whose reenacting experience is limited to the English Civil War)
PMYahoo
PanzerKing
Posted: August 10, 2005 08:08 pm
Quote Post

Sergent major

Member No.: 29

QUOTE (Jeff_S @ Aug 10 2005, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (PanzerKing @ Aug 10 2005, 04:53 PM)
When I'm a millionaire, I'll work on this ok?  laugh.gif

Should we be expecting this imminently? If so, I have a couple projects that need financing, and they have nothing to do with reenacting. tongue.gif

Back on topic, I know that there are reenactors in Russia, and from Denes' post Hungary too... maybe it just needs more time to take root. Romanians living abroad could see reenactments in their host countries, say "we could do this in Romania", and get things started when they return.

Jeff (whose reenacting experience is limited to the English Civil War)

I'll get back to you in 15 years! wink.gif
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
Carol I
Posted: August 14, 2005 10:59 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (Victor @ Aug 10 2005, 03:39 PM)
The only "re-enacting" I am familiar with is done by several researches at the National Military Museum. They participated recently to a WWI re-enactment in Hungary and during the Days of the National Military Museum they dress up in old uniforms. But that's about it.

La Komarom, din nou in primul razboi mondial in Magazin Istoric No. 1 (January) 2005 (Romanian only)
PM
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: August 14, 2005 04:30 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Member No.: 328

Romanians living abroad could see reenactments in their host countries, say "we could do this in Romania", and get things started when they return.

Unfortunatelly most romanians who live outside, don't care much about this country anymore - at least those I know.
But, what if we try to do this here ? at least put some theoretical basis to it and when the time/money comes put it in action ?

Anyone interested of such thing ?
PMUsers Website
Kepi
Posted: September 28, 2005 04:38 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 680

There is a reenactment group in Romania that commemorates the 6th Guard Dorobanti Regiment “Michael the Brave”. It is composed of 9 members and “covers” the whole period, from its set up, as a territorial infantry unit, in 1873, until it was disbanded in 1948. So, all the major campaigns of the Romanian army could be represented. As far as I know, they are working for a web site. I know that there are a lot of reenactment groups in Eastern Europe for all historical periods (starting with the Antiquity until Vietnam war) but in Romania the main problem is to find items of uniforms, equipment and, particularly, weapons. Enlisted men uniforms and equipment are almost impossible to find today because in the Romanian army they used to wear military equipment until its total destruction, or have transformed old stocks in prisoner uniforms (as it happened with the M.1966 army kaki cloth uniforms since 1989). There were no army surplus stocks in Romania to be sell to private persons at it happened in Western Europe.
The very few remaining parts of uniforms belonged especially to officers and they usually are in very poor condition or their small size make them unsuitable to be worn on reenactment shows. Otherwise, it is not recommended to wear original dress (at least 60 years old) in (reconstructed) battles, to fling through mud or dust. For older periods such as WW1 or the Independence War of 1877-78, things are more difficult to find.
So, for reenacting WW2 Romanian army units the only and recommended solution is to use reconstructed uniforms rounded with original (or post war) items of equipment. Hopefully, from the middle of 1960s Romanian army used M.1939 style equipment: leather belt with rectangular plate (with RPR coat of arms that must be remouved), bread bag, knap sack, rank badges for enlisted men, etc. Cartridge pouches for the Czech VZ-23 clips, are easy to find in antique shops as M.1939 Dutch style helmets or VZ-23 bayonets and shovels, even if the prices are sometime prohibitive. The bayonet and entrenching tool holder , the yoke straps could be made in thick leather by a good shoe maker. As canteens and mess tins, could be used M.1960s army’s models (easy to find in antique shops) or German models, as the Romanians used a lot of German army equipment.
In my opinion, one of the most important, problem should be the boots. Romanian laced boots were similar to the German late models. Today army boots are higher and have rubber soles.
The photograph evidence is very important to reconstruct an accurate military uniform. Then the details come: if the uniform is for the Eastern Front – with side cap, baggy trousers and leather leggings or of the Western Campaign – with the field cap (Capela) , breeches and puttees. There are a lot of details that could personalize an uniform.
To be a reenactor is not an easy and cheap way of life. You must have an uniform, with appropriate equipment and weapons, for at least one of the important historical periods, you have to learn military drill and to accept to obey orders, you have to participate at “campaigns”, that means to travel on your own expense in Romania or abroad. Briefly, you must be a real military history enthusiast.
PMEmail Poster
Cristian
Posted: September 29, 2005 10:10 am
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 415

Where the group is located?Could the members post here the reenactement items they have? Maybe other forum members would participate with their items to define a complete equipment, as a starting point to copy them.As you say, is not easy, but is funny! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Dani
Posted: September 29, 2005 11:58 am
Quote Post

Sergent

Member No.: 323

QUOTE (Kepi @ Sep 28 2005, 06:38 PM)
There is a reenactment group in Romania that commemorates the 6th Guard Dorobanti Regiment “Michael the Brave”. It is composed of  9 members and “covers” the whole period, from its set up, as a territorial infantry unit, in 1873, until it was disbanded in 1948.
I know that there are a lot of reenactment groups in Eastern Europe for all historical periods (starting with the Antiquity until Vietnam war) but in Romania the main problem is to find items of uniforms, equipment and, particularly, weapons.

....There were no army surplus stocks in Romania to be sell to private persons at it happened in Western Europe.

A logical conclusion from what you've written is that the reeenacment group mentioned belongs to the Minister of Defence.

If they are private persons I doubt that they are allowed to have weapons.

Check on http://www.cdep.ro/pls/legis/legis_pck.htp_act?ida=50367
this:

http://www.cdep.ro/proiecte/2004/300/20/2/leg_pl322_04.pdf

Article 29, point (4) - for weapon use.
Article 45 point (1) - for ammunition.

Edited: If they are private persons I doubt that they are allowed to have weapons for use in reenacting (use and display outside)!!!

This post has been edited by Dani on September 29, 2005 12:04 pm
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Cristian
Posted: September 29, 2005 12:39 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 415

Dani, the facts are different that you think. I legally own, as private person, a Kar98, a P08 , a C96...and others. .Is not easy to obtain a permit, but possible. So , lets find the helmets first! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (17) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0511 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]