Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) 1 [2]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> IAR 80 in Turkey???
lucian
  Posted: September 04, 2008 10:07 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 1402

This is "original source" ?
I don't belive. mad.gif

http://www.cardarmy.ru/avia-orlik/iar80.htm
PMEmail Poster
lancer_two_one
Posted: September 05, 2008 12:04 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1625

About the IAR-80 in Turkey, it's just a myth. In early '90s I met a TAF group and inquired about the existance of a IAR-80 in their country. They never heard of this type and concluded there's no such airplane in their country. In any form whatsoever.

There was a permanent confusion between the FW-190-... and IAR-80. This lasted even after the end of WW2. However, if the defection to Turkey was with a FW, I do not see the connection to Romania, since as far as I know we did not have the type in our inventory.

And btw, the story I knew regarding to the IAR-80 in Turkey was related to an attempt to sell the a/c to that country. For the ones interested in myths, this is the one with the wing leading edge "hidden" oil tank.

Sorin
PMEmail Poster
Radub
Posted: September 10, 2008 05:39 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (lucian @ September 02, 2008 09:08 pm)
Also, please, don't "kill" the writer! It's only an enthusiast.
http://www.revistanoinu.com/iar-80-legenda...romaneasca.html

It is hard not to "kill the writer". There are so many mistakes there, it is not even funny.

The writer says that the six designers developed the aircraft in 14 days without any technical infrastructure based only on their knowledge and genius? Well... there is no mention that they used the PZL11 as a basis and that the wings were inspired by the Savoia design.

The author says that the engine had 24 cylinders. Nope, there were only 14.

The author says that the fuel tanks were between the engines. Engines? He just said there was only one engine.

The author says that Garnet designed the engine and the compressor. Really? He invented the Gnome Rhone 14K? I doubt it.

The author says that the French pilot Michel Detroyat successfully tested it 1940 on Pipera airfield and then gave the go-ahead for the production. What? I thought the aircraft was tested by Cpt. Av. Dumitru Popescu on 04 April 1939.

The author says that the IAR80 was the fourth best aircraft in the world at the time and no American or Russian aircraft was near it. No comment.

At this point I gave up. The author is an idiot. As Dan Antoniu said in reply to that abomination, that guy is doing a great desservice to the history of Romanian aviation.

Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
lucian
Posted: September 11, 2008 03:43 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 1402

PMEmail Poster
Radub
Posted: September 11, 2008 05:04 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 476

Yes, there is one in the Military Museum and one in the Aviation Museum. Both of them are scale 1/1 models, made well after the war. Neither is a good replica.
There are some original parts from Mociornita's plane in the Military Museum in Bucharest.
Radu
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Theodor
Posted: September 18, 2008 08:44 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 1654

As the Turkish FW190 were mentioned, I'd like to ask - is there something left in Turkey? I have read, none of the machine has survived. Is this so? Or, do they have at least some parts on display in some museum?
PMEmail Poster
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.3845 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]