Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Tank markings
dragos
Posted: April 13, 2005 07:25 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Agarici @ Apr 13 2005, 10:21 AM)
Denes, the tanks from the front page of the Czech book you have shown us are considered by the authors to be in Czech or in Romanian service? The cammo scheme is identical to that presented by Dragos and apparently similar to the one from the photo I was talking about.

The drawing on the cover shows Czech tanks. Neither the painting scheme nor the vehicle numbers are specific to Romanian Army.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
dragos
Posted: April 13, 2005 06:47 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The painting scheme of the tanks of 2nd Tank Regiment during the battles in Czechoslovakia and Austria, from Armata romana 1941-1945, RAI, 1996.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Cantacuzino
Posted: April 14, 2005 06:12 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

The painting scheme of the tanks of 2nd Tank Regiment during the battles in Czechoslovakia and Austria, from Armata romana 1941-1945, RAI, 1996.

Any B/W picture for this scheme in that book to confirm this color profile. Or is just a reconstruction based on some info. sad.gif

Dan.

PM
dragos
Posted: April 14, 2005 06:28 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ Apr 14 2005, 09:12 AM)

Any B/W picture for this scheme in that book to confirm this color profile. Or is just a reconstruction based on some info. sad.gif

Dan.

Unfortunatelly no photographs. The only photo that confirms this painting scheme is the one of the R-35/45 posted here.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Cantacuzino
Posted: April 14, 2005 08:37 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Unfortunatelly no photographs. The only photo that confirms this painting scheme is the one of the R-35/45 posted here.

And no archiv document or something written to confirm this scheme as official for R-2 tanks unit ?.
Btw. this R35/45 picture is from romanian source or internet only.
As long as we have only one picture and no oficiall document it's hard to say that it was the standard scheme (emblem) for Reg-2 tanks unit on western front in '45. I am also not sure that only romanians made this change of original armament to R-35. I read that some late french R-35 had 37mm long SA 38 gun ( with long barell ?).

Dan.
PM
dragos
Posted: April 14, 2005 08:59 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

It is written in the book, but I've not seen any official document or a text elsewhere. The information on the painting scheme during 1945 is scarce, so what we have is: the book mentioned (Armata Romana 1941-1945) and the photograph posted here, and on the other hand the profile with the red star posted by Denes. I tend to go with the first variant (khaki star).

QUOTE (Cantacuzino)
I am also not sure that only romanians made this change of original armament to R-35. I read that some late french R-35 had 37mm long SA 38 gun ( with long barell ?).

But were any of these delivered to Romanian army (those delivered by the French before the war and the Polish ones)? I've never seen a picture or text to sustain this theory.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Cantacuzino
Posted: April 14, 2005 09:26 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

It is written in the book, but I've not seen any official document or a text elsewhere. The information on the painting scheme during 1945 is scarce, so what we have is: the book mentioned (Armata Romana 1941-1945) and the photograph posted here, and on the other hand the profile with the red star posted by Denes. I tend to go with the first variant (khaki star).

So we have a cotroversal tank scheme picture and a mith that R-2 tank unit had the star emblem and everybody make color profiles like it is for sure sad.gif

Btw. what could represent in '45 for romanian the star as emblem instead of roundel. Members of comunist party in the army were only few ( mostly inferior grade) so why only for tanks and not also for the planes or trucks this star ?

For me it's still a controversal issue. To many questions without reasonable answers.

Dan.
PM
dragos
Posted: April 14, 2005 09:30 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

A recollection of a veteran from the tank troops regarding the painting scheme used in Czecholovakia and Austria whould be helpful here.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: April 14, 2005 01:19 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

The 2nd Tank Regiment was incorporated into the Soviet 27th Tank Brigade. Thus, the star seems like a logical choice for a marking, to avoid confusions and friendky fire incidents from the Soviet part. The star was also the American marking, not only the Soviet one.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Cantacuzino
Posted: April 14, 2005 03:08 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

The 2nd Tank Regiment was incorporated into the Soviet 27th Tank Brigade. Thus, the star seems like a logical choice for a marking, to avoid confusions and friendky fire incidents from the Soviet part. The star was also the American marking, not only the Soviet one.

Yes Victor, it seems the only posible reason of the star marks on R-35 picture. Romanian unit under soviet command.
But only one picture could not say that all tanks from R-2 wear that star. Maybe someone could find also something written ( like Dragos said -veterans recollection). For me the rom. roundels were enough for not mistake with german black ( or white) cross. Why it works on planes and on tanks not. The soviet pilots had better eyes than tanks crews. I remember that soviet IAK-s attacked american Mustangs ( with stars) as easy as romanian Bf-109 with roundels.

Maybe was choosen the white dot with star because was more easy to paint with only one color ( white) than the complex coaxial three color roundel ( to much time with paintings when next day could be blown up by a "Faustpatron" rocket).

Dan.

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on April 14, 2005 03:09 pm
PM
Agarici
Posted: April 16, 2005 02:23 am
Quote Post

Maior

Group: Members
Member No.: 522

QUOTE (dragos @ Apr 14 2005, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Cantacuzino)
I am also not sure that only romanians made this change of original armament to R-35. I read that some late french R-35 had 37mm long SA 38 gun ( with long barell ?).

But were any of these delivered to Romanian army (those delivered by the French before the war and the Polish ones)? I've never seen a picture or text to sustain this theory.

This problem has already been addressed in “Renault R 35/Renault R 40 info and pictures” topic (see the first posts). Also in his reply from the same topic Ruy Aballe gives pertinent details about that. There is also a usefull site (in French) with info on Renault R 35 and R 40: http://www.chars-francais.net/. To conclude, Renault 35 series was produced in three variants: the original R 35 with Puteaux SA 18 (short) gun, an 1939 version (R 39) and a final variant, R 40; both R 39 and R 40 had an Puteaux SA 38 (long) gun, but while R 39 was actually the R 35 armed with this newer gun the R 40 had a new (slightly different) turret, an improved suspension and a new rolling sistem with protective skirting plates.

According to these sources, R 35 was the only exported version. We can say for sure that the R 40 never serviced in the Romanian army; his tracks (armor protected, like those of B 1 bis French tank) making him easily recognoscible. As for R 39, it was produced in small number so even in the French army it was only in use of (some) platoon and company commanders. However I don’t think that its turret armed with a 37 mm gun and a MG could be mistaken with R35/44 turret with its 45 mm cannon.

PMEmail Poster
Agarici
Posted: April 16, 2005 02:29 am
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

I see we are discussing everything in this topic, but what we should discuss according to its title biggrin.gif . Maybe the administrators should open another topic about different vehicle markings and move some of the related posts in there…
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: April 18, 2005 04:53 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

A recollection of a veteran from the tank troops regarding the painting scheme used in Czecholovakia and Austria whould be helpful here.

I found a vet. recollection for the rom. tanks mark used in Czechoslovakia and Austria. Many of you had read the book "Tancuri in Flacari" by Ion S. Dumitru but nobody pay attention to page 206 where the author said that leading a T-4 tanks unit in Czechoslovakia escaped from Faustpatrone attacks because the germans discovered to late the "khaky star" painted on T-4 turret. So no red star ( wrong painted on some profiles). The same khaky star on white dot in the picture with R-35/45 confirm the vet.recollection.

Dan.

user posted image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: April 18, 2005 04:57 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

I made a better documented color profile of R-2 Skoda ( no more red star) with this "allied"emblem used by rom. tank unit on western front.

Dan.

user posted image
PM
nox
Posted: September 01, 2006 11:46 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 642

from an article on romanian R35 in steelmaster N°69 june-july 2005
user posted image
user posted image
I hope that will help some model maker biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 [2] 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0849 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]