Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (19) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Guerilla Actions in Irak
mg 42
Posted: April 22, 2005 08:06 am
Quote Post

Soldat

Group: Members
Member No.: 164

Insurgent attacks on U.S. troops decline
Militants target Iraqi forces

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/03...s.ap/index.html
PM
Imperialist
Posted: May 15, 2005 12:13 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 499

The U.S. military wrapped up a major offensive in a remote desert region near the Syrian border Saturday, saying it had cleaned out the insurgent haven and killed more than 125 militants during the weeklong campaign against followers of Iraq's most wanted terrorist Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

Nine U.S. Marines were killed and 40 injured during Operation Matador — one of the largest American campaigns since militants were driven from Fallujah six months ago.

More than 1,000 Marines, soldiers and sailors participated in the operation, killing more than 125 insurgents, wounding many others and detaining 39 "of intelligence value," the military said in a statement.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/02/24/...ain541815.shtml

After Fallujah they said they "broke the back" of the insurgency...

The US has sustained 1622 military fatalities since 2003.

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: June 12, 2005 11:23 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (Imperialist @ May 15 2005, 12:13 AM)

The US has sustained 1622 military fatalities since 2003.

And a month passed.

U.S. Military Toll in Iraq Crosses 1,700

The military announced the killing of four more U.S. soldiers on Sunday, pushing the American death toll past 1,700

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050612/ap_on_...zkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

And this month looks to be one of the bloodiest, if things continue like this for the Americans in the Anbar province.

--------------------
I
PM
sid guttridge
Posted: June 13, 2005 10:01 am
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Member No.: 591

Hi Imperialst,

I see that you have decided to restrict this thread to "Guerrilla actions in Iraq".

Why is this?

Surely such a narrow remit will distort the reality?

For example, we could gain the mistaken impression from this thread that the Coalition forces mounted no operations and achieved no successes, and that the "guerrillas" suffered no losses and never engaged in terrorism.

Why not widen the thread? Or would the facts not suit your one-sided propaganda agenda?

Would you, perhaps, care to start ballancing this thread by introducing some information on insurgent losses in Anbar province, as reported yesterday and today? Or perhaps list all the provinces in the north and south where there were no Coalition fatalities last month?

Cheers,

Sid.

PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: June 13, 2005 10:31 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ Jun 13 2005, 10:01 AM)

Why not widen the thread? Or would the facts not suit your one-sided propaganda agenda?

Would you, perhaps, care to start ballancing this thread by introducing some information on insurgent losses in Anbar province, as reported yesterday and today?

Well, given that the insurgents are in the tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands, I see no point in counting their dead. First because they are anyways badly reported. Usually the Marines receive some shots from a building, stop and call air support, obliterating the whole thing. Then they say they got probably a dozen insurgents, also mentioning that they dont have a clear number, rather a guesstimate.
Secondly, because in a guerilla war, bodycounting the guerillas has no relevance towards comprehending the political/military progress on the ground.
Thirdly, if you want to do it, why dont you do it yourself?

Also, I find your accusations pretty lame. What propaganda agenda are you talking about?

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: June 17, 2005 11:01 am
Quote Post

General de armata

Or perhaps list all the provinces in the north and south where there were no Coalition fatalities last month?

You mean to say there were no US KIA in northern or southern provinces last month?

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: June 17, 2005 05:57 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Gunmen Take Over Ramadi As Bomb Kills 5 Marines

A huge bomb killed five American marines yesterday and showered body parts on to rooftops, fuelling suspicion that armour-piercing technology is being developed and tested in Ramadi.

All Humvees are now armoured but there is suspicion that insurgents have learned to make "shape charges" which narrow the force of blasts to penetrate armour.

source: The Guardian

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: June 18, 2005 02:48 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Hi Imperialst,

I see that you have decided to restrict this thread to "Guerrilla actions in Iraq".

Why is this?

Surely such a narrow remit will distort the reality?

For example, we could gain the mistaken impression from this thread that the Coalition forces mounted no operations and achieved no successes, and that the "guerrillas" suffered no losses and never engaged in terrorism.

Would you, perhaps, care to start ballancing this thread by introducing some information on insurgent losses in Anbar province, as reported yesterday and today? Or perhaps list all the provinces in the north and south where there were no Coalition fatalities last month?

Cheers,

Sid.

Coalition fatalities in northern/southern provinces last month:

GIUSEPPE LIMA
MARCO BRIGANTI
MARCO CIRILLO
MASSIMILIANO BIONDINI

http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Cronach.../militari.shtml

Their helicopter crashed in Dhi Qar province. The province is located in the south, far below the "Sunni Triangle":

http://www.hist-geo.com/Localiser/Region/Dhi-Qar.php

PRESLAV STOYANOV
VALENTIN NIKOLAEV DONEV

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=47436
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=47333

Their vehicle creashed near Basra.

----------------------------------------------

Coalition KIA in northern/southern provinces last month:

PHILLIP N. SAYLES [US]

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2005/n...50530-3381.html

BENJAMIN C. MORTON [US]

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2005/n...50524-3302.html

AARON N. SEESAN [US]
TYLER L. CREAMEAN [US]

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/2005/n...50524-3308.html

ANTHONY WAKEFIELD [UK]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4505047.stm

-------------------------------------------------------------

I think you stand corrected.
Please apply the same level of academic methodology you ask out of others. At least if you want to launch accusations.

take care

This post has been edited by Imperialist on June 18, 2005 02:52 pm

--------------------
I
PM
Imperialist
Posted: June 24, 2005 10:17 am
Quote Post

General de armata

[split from Internationalising the Black Sea topic]

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ Jun 24 2005, 09:27 AM)
Hi Iamandi,

Which are the countries with US bases on their soil that want to get rid of them?

Irak for example.

--------------------
I
PM
sid guttridge
Posted: June 24, 2005 01:38 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hi Imperialist,

It is true that no Iraqis, except possibly the Kurds, want US bases in Iraq long term. However, there is strong evidence from opinion polls that most Shiites, who are the majority of the population, don't want the US to pull out just yet. The only group currently actively against the US presence are Sunni extremists, whose community amount to under a quarter of the population.

Next?

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
sid guttridge
Posted: June 24, 2005 01:54 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

P.S.

Try the following link for the results an Iraqi opinion poll published on 18 April 2005:

http://chrenkoff.blogspot.com/2005/05/new-...-from-iraq.html

It was conducted for the Iraqi Arabic newspaper "Almidhar" and says only 12.56% of Iraqis want a foreign pull out "at once". 81.8% want foreign troops to pull out "according to a future timetable". The rest are "Don't Knows".

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
sid guttridge
Posted: June 24, 2005 01:55 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

PPS

That link hasn't been accepted. Try "chrenkoff" on Google.

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: June 24, 2005 02:27 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ Jun 24 2005, 01:38 PM)
Hi Imperialist,

It is true that no Iraqis, except possibly the Kurds, want US bases in Iraq long term. However, there is strong evidence from opinion polls that most Shiites, who are the majority of the population, don't want the US to pull out just yet. The only group currently actively against the US presence are Sunni extremists, whose community amount to under a quarter of the population.

Next?

Cheers,

Sid.

The ones resisting in their own country are not extremists. Or indeed they are, for the occuppying forces.
As for the Shia, with time they'll realise they are used by the US. How much longer do you think they'll wait? 2 years, 4 years? Its only a matter of time for them too.

take care

--------------------
I
PM
sid guttridge
Posted: June 24, 2005 02:45 pm
Quote Post

Locotenent colonel

Hi Imperialist,

The ones actively resisting the US in Iraq are very definitely mostly Sunni extremists, many of them foreigners. This applies particularly to the suicide bombers, who mostly kill Iraqis.

As for the Shia, yes I agree. It is only a matter of time. But only then, if the US refuses to go, will it be justifiable to say that the US has overstayed its welcome.

Cheers,

Sid.
PMEmail Poster
Imperialist
Posted: June 24, 2005 02:57 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (sid guttridge @ Jun 24 2005, 02:45 PM)
Hi Imperialist,

The ones actively resisting the US in Iraq are very definitely mostly Sunni extremists, many of them foreigners. This applies particularly to the suicide bombers, who mostly kill Iraqis.

As for the Shia, yes I agree. It is only a matter of time. But only then, if the US refuses to go, will it be justifiable to say that the US has overstayed its welcome.

Cheers,

Sid.

Yes, they are "very definitely...extremists" for the occupying forces in Irak.

As for the overstayed welcome... armed resistance doesnt need justification or timetables. If those guys (whatever their numbers) feel that they want to fight the foreign armies in their country, they are free to do it.

--------------------
I
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (19) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0509 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]