Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (2) [1] 2   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Anyone seen these books?
valachus
Posted: March 15, 2005 01:20 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 125

As I had announced some time ago in another topic, I've got a borrowed scanner and I digitized a superb WW I memories book, written by cpt. (res.) Ion D. Isac, a veteran of Bat. 3/18 Gorj, Div. 1/17, Jiu Army Group, and published in 1933 or 1934: "Zile de sbucium şi glorie", vol. I - "Pe Valea Jiului. 1916"

The reason for which the book is in my family's possesion is that it briefly mentions my great-grandfather whom I've never met, although he was fortunate enough to survive injuries in both the Bulgaria campaign and the Jiu Valley battles (the last one left him with a severely crippled leg and a small product of german precision industry logdged somewhere in his hip) and build the house I grew up in smile.gif

Anyway, it appears that there were two more volumes to follow the one I have, and I ask if anyone has seen or owns them, mr. Isac's writing is quite brilliant and I desperately want to read the next two parts of his memoirs! I know I'm grasping at straws here, but who knows?

I'll put the entire scanned book online at imageshack.us soon (if the worldwar2.ro owners are interested in any of it, I'll gladly oblige with the scans), so in the meanwhile I'll post here a couple of pages from the book.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers Website
valachus
Posted: March 15, 2005 01:25 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

These are the two volumes I'm looking for:

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers Website
valachus
Posted: March 15, 2005 01:30 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

This is the author and his recollection of his first encounter with Hungarian troops:

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers Website
valachus
Posted: March 15, 2005 01:34 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

This is my great-grandfather, on the left page, and, incidentally, a 1st cousin of his on the right page (of course, everyone in Oltenia is more or less cousin with everyone else biggrin.gif ):

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers Website
valachus
Posted: March 15, 2005 01:41 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Photo from the book:

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers Website
valachus
Posted: March 15, 2005 01:51 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

And another one:

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers Website
valachus
Posted: March 15, 2005 01:59 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

The reason for which I consider it to be exceptionally well written is that not only is it completely illustrated (most of the officers of which there's any mention at all have their photograph in the book), but it gives a very accurate and quite critical account of the Romanian Army's tactics and shortcomings - failures to capitalize strategically, failures to retreat when facing hopeless fights, failures to advance and punish the retreating enemy, disastruous artillery coordination methods etc etc.
I simply loved the book and I think it's a hidden gem of 1st hand accounts from the Romanian side of the Great War. So knowing that there are other 2 volumes that complete it and I can't find is unbelievably frustrating!

This post has been edited by valachus on March 15, 2005 02:00 pm
PMUsers Website
Carol I
Posted: March 15, 2005 08:25 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (valachus @ Mar 15 2005, 02:20 PM)
I'll put the entire scanned book online at imageshack.us soon (if the worldwar2.ro owners are interested in any of it, I'll gladly oblige with the scans), so in the meanwhile I'll post here a couple of pages from the book.

I would also suggest you to make a PDF file out of the images you scanned and put it somewhere for downloading. In my opinion it will be easier to download a single file than several individual images.
PM
dragos
Posted: March 15, 2005 09:02 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

In order to make a PDF, the text must be recognized from the scans (OCR). This is quite a tedious operation, since the scans must be at high rezolution and good quality, and some revising must be done afterwards. However, having the book as PDF or even as plain text would be great.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Carol I
Posted: March 15, 2005 09:11 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (dragos @ Mar 15 2005, 10:02 PM)
In order to make a PDF, the text must be recognized from the scans (OCR). This is quite a tedious operation, since the scans must be at high rezolution and good quality, and some revising must be done afterwards. However, having the book as PDF or even as plain text would be great.

What I meant was to convert the images directly into a PDF file, without the optical recognition of the characters. This way it is not that tedious.
PM
dragos
Posted: March 15, 2005 09:17 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

But what's the avantage then? Simply having all the images into one big file?
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Carol I
Posted: March 15, 2005 09:21 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (dragos @ Mar 15 2005, 10:17 PM)
But what's the avantage then? Simply having all the images into one big file?

Well, I would personally find it easier to handle the book. And it will also be easier to print it if necessary.
PM
dragos
Posted: March 15, 2005 09:27 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

It depends on the number of pages. But if they are not too many, a text recognition would be a viable option.
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
cipiamon
Posted: March 15, 2005 10:06 pm
Quote Post

Sublocotenent

Member No.: 115

For scanning and saving a pdf file verry easy and at nice quality i sugest using the soft named "Abby fine reader"
PM
dragos
Posted: March 15, 2005 10:09 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

This photo is great!

user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0784 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]