Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> First online Tidal Wave Build Project..., Let's build TW models together online!
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 11, 2005 03:14 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Did the Romanians have compatible fuel for the Liberators to fly them or did they have to specially refine the matching fuel to be used by the machines....just wondering.
Artur

I think romanian had the requested fuel from Ploesti refineries for B-24, because they allready have american transport planes in service ( LARES company) with similar radial engines ( DC-2,DC-3, Lockheed Electra...).
Regarding B-24 fuel i know a story ( wich probably it's true). After TW raid King Michael I made a tour to the crashes places and stop to Chatanooga-Choo-Choo B-24 near Nedelea village and ask his guard to fill tank of his sport car with fuel from the airplane. After a wild ride back to his Castel at Sinaia his car suddenly stop and the engine was broke. The high octane B-24 fuel was to much for an ordinary car engine.
Today at his over eighty years the former king Michael still drive sport cars and go shoping at supermarket near Bucharest. ( he is also a internet fan).

Dan.
PM
alexkdl
Posted: February 11, 2005 05:12 pm
Quote Post

General de corp de armata
Group Icon

Group: Banned
Member No.: 373

Dan

Last time I've heard of Mihai was that he still lives at the lake of Geneva and I cant imagine he's living or go shopping regularly in Rumania

Alex
PM
Carol I
Posted: February 11, 2005 10:12 pm
Quote Post

General de armata

Group: Members
Member No.: 136

QUOTE (alexkdl @ Feb 11 2005, 06:12 PM)
Last time I've heard of Mihai was that he still lives at the lake of Geneva and I cant imagine he's living or go shopping  regularly in Rumania

He participates to many events in Romania. So if he still does not have his residence in Romania (I do not know anything about this), at least he comes regularly. Besides, several of his old properties in Romania have been restored to his possession. For example, his residence in Bucharest is the old Palace Elisabeta.
PM
alexkdl
Posted: February 12, 2005 01:59 am
Quote Post

Group Icon

Howbout his Sinaia summer residence...has it been restored to his property ?

Alex
PM
Carol I
Posted: February 12, 2005 10:04 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (alexkdl @ Feb 12 2005, 02:59 AM)
Howbout his Sinaia summer residence...has it been restored to his property ?

Almost. He has not received the whole property, but rather one building, being compensated for the remaining ones. He has also received the right to use the Peleş complex for the duration of his life. Here is the piece of news from BBC Romanian (in Romanian only).
PM
Victor
Posted: February 15, 2005 12:51 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

The discussion on Bazu Cantacuzino and the Bf-109G-6 no. 31 he flew to Italy has been moved to thread better suited for the subject. Please concentrate on Artur's idea in this one.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
alexkdl
Posted: February 15, 2005 01:54 pm
Quote Post

Group Icon

Carol do u have any possibîlity to give me some links where I can view Castelul Peles dela Sinaia and Castelul Foisor ( I never heard of) I visited Peles some 39 years ago, of by chance can you email me photos of the interior part of it ?

Thanks
Alex
PM
Zayets
Posted: February 15, 2005 02:40 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 504

QUOTE (Artur @ Feb 10 2005, 02:04 AM)
The IAR 80 kits are available in both and so are the Messerchmitts and the Liberators. In 1 32 and even now in 1 24 there are Messerschmitts available but that is a LARGE scale!

Hi there,
Do you know a place where I can order an IAR80 or 81 kit?
Thx in advance.
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 15, 2005 03:58 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Hi there,
Thx in advance.

What scale are you interested ?

Dan.
PM
Zayets
Posted: February 15, 2005 04:45 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier adjutant

Member No.: 504

QUOTE (Cantacuzino @ Feb 15 2005, 03:58 PM)
Hi there,
Thx in advance.

What scale are you interested ?

Dan.

1:48 is the one I'm interested in`. But I am interested to buy other scales as well.
Do you have any? I was looking everywhere in the model shops , no IAR to be found.
Thx in advance.
Artur
Posted: February 16, 2005 12:13 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 385

The only available kit that I am aware of in plastic is the long out of production LTD kit. The quality is rather poor, surface detail poor, the canopy "needs work" but it is the only game in town.
You can either wait till Tamigawa makes one or work with that.
Perhaps a small scale Romanian cottage industry producer will make one in the near future and make several hundres available kits to the die hards such as ourselves here.
I made the IAR kit but would jump at the chance to make a better quality kit if one was available.
As far as availabilty for the LTD kit all I can suggest is Ebay ( the ultimate bazaar of everything :-), I found a few kits there last time I looked.
I just looked and two sold just recently...for $12 and $12.50.
Artur
PMEmail Poster
Carol I
Posted: February 16, 2005 08:28 am
Quote Post

General de armata

QUOTE (alexkdl @ Feb 15 2005, 02:54 PM)
Carol do u have any  possibîlity to give me some links where I can view Castelul Peles dela Sinaia and Castelul Foisor ( I never heard of) I visited Peles some 39 years ago, of by chance can you email me photos of the interior part of it ?

Sorry, I can't. I do not have any personal photos of the Peleş complex, nor do I already have links to sites that deal with the complex in detail. Some photos of the palaces you mentioned can however be seen at: Peleş Palace, Pelişor Palace, Foişor Palace. Several more photos are dispersed over the net, mostly in travel-related sites.
PM
alexkdl
Posted: February 16, 2005 11:58 am
Quote Post

Group Icon

Thanks a lot Carol !

Alex
PM
Victor
Posted: February 16, 2005 12:10 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Alex, I emailed you some of my photos. Hope it helps. Now let's get back to the main topic.
alexkdl
Posted: February 16, 2005 01:21 pm
Quote Post

Group Icon

Victor, thank you but I haven't received anything...can you double check again my email address ?

Thanks
Alex
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) 1 [2] 3 4 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.1003 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]