Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> First online Tidal Wave Build Project..., Let's build TW models together online!
Artur
Posted: February 09, 2005 04:18 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

Okey, here goes.
I am a guest here that really enjoys the community and the culture of this forum. I noticed that quite a few of us have an interest in modeling and I was thinking....wouldn't it be a good idea to start a project, where we build models from Operation Tidal Wave, each one in his own workshop in his own country, yet periodically we share the experiences and pictures on the forum for other to see and perhaps join us.
I have done several of these online build project in various forums and noticed the trick to their success two factors
First the subject matter has to be pretty narrow, and secondly it needs to be actively maintained by posting messages fairly regualrly so the subject will not "die a natural death".
So what I would like to suggest is to start a modest thread ( that may grow or just stay modest...will find out ) dedicated to the building of models associated with Tidal Wave. Three types of aircraft come into play here. The Liberator of course and the defenders' IAR 80 and Me 109G's. Technically the Bulgarian Avias B534 also rose to give battle and there may be others that I am not aware of just yet...so correct me.
First however, write what you think about the idea? Is this the right venue for such an undertaking and is this the right idea to begin with.
Artur
PMEmail Poster
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 09, 2005 05:31 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Group: Hosts
Member No.: 144

Hi Artur.
Congrats. for starting this topic on romanian forum.
I will be glad to help you in this promising project.
My next model project will be a B-24 "Brewery Wagon" and ofcourse a TW subject.
Soon i will start the work i will post details about it.

Good luck
Dan.
PM
Devil of the Sky
Posted: February 09, 2005 07:24 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Member No.: 446

I am in !!!!!!!!!!!!
But As I understood you say to have models of them.... models flyble?
I am in!!!!
So there must be chosen a scale...
Wich would be the best?
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Artur
Posted: February 10, 2005 02:04 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

I am in !!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome

But As I understood you say to have models of them.... models flyble?

Flyable...I don't think so. How many of you saw a flyable model of a Liberator? :-)

I am in!!!!
So there must be chosen a scale...
Wich would be the best?

Well I don't think we necessarily need to choose a scale. Practically there are only two availbale if we consider the Liberator 1 72 and 1 48. The IAR 80 kits are available in both and so are the Messerchmitts and the Liberators. In 1 32 and even now in 1 24 there are Messerschmitts available but that is a LARGE scale!
I think we need to narrow the scope of the subject matter. Ploesti August 1 1943 but leave the scale question open.
Getting ready for this I bought another Liberator today, the new Revell model. As soon as I get it I will shoot some pictures and post it on the forum. Here is the box art.

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Artur
Posted: February 10, 2005 02:11 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

Now, for my first model for this project.
It is not Romanian or American, but directly related to Tidal Wave.
I was fortunate to come across this website http://odin.prohosting.com/~vstoyano/Fight...WW2Stoyanov.htm
I wrote to the Gentelmen that hosts the site and who is the son of the Bulgarian Ace Stoyan Stoyanov. He got me some information about his father and also this neat picture.
Artur

This post has been edited by Artur on February 10, 2005 02:12 am

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Artur
Posted: February 10, 2005 02:24 am
Quote Post

Fruntas

this is a great scan of all the Messerschmitts flown by Stoyanov. I particularly like the one with the yellow cowling. Denes wrote that during TW all the Bulgarian Me 109's had yellow cowlings so by a process of elimination I guess that the Green 28 would be the correct one. I don't know the author of those profiles and do not know if there are any pictures showing this aircraft. By a process of elimination, howvere, I deducted that since the picture of Stoyanov, supposedly taken on TW day and that among others he flew "Green 28" that woud mean that there are some chances he may have flown that aircraft on August 1st, even if the inscription reads "early 1943".
What do you guys think, is this the best chance I have of getting his machine right or there are some other sources I missed? Artur

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMEmail Poster
Iamandi
Posted: February 10, 2005 07:57 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

This yellow mark was the sign of the bulgarian aviation on ww2? O is just a sign from a squadron?
I think the image is from a virtual squadron - i don't understand well - but had a real base?

Iama

Attached Image
Attached Image
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Devil of the Sky
Posted: February 10, 2005 12:10 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Oh, you mean non flyble models.....
Ok than!
I'll see what I will do... For this moment as a static I have a B-24 at 1 72 scale, a wood model...
I don't know yet what marking it will have.... I was thinkinig for romanian colors... but if the project will go on with many poeple I'll shourly paint one of those that went there...

This post has been edited by Devil of the Sky on February 10, 2005 12:13 pm
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 10, 2005 01:14 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Oh, you mean non flyble models.....
Ok than!
I'll see what I will do... For this moment as a static I have a B-24 at 1 72 scale, a wood model...
I don't know yet what marking it will have.... I was thinkinig for romanian colors... but if the project will go on with many poeple I'll shourly paint one of those that went there...

Devil in the sky, you can paint a romanian B-24 because were from TW ( BoilerMaker II- ARR Liberator I and Honky tonk Gal- ARR Liberator II).
I think for 1/72 scale it's more easy this subject ( no complicated nose arts).

Dan.
PM
Devil of the Sky
Posted: February 10, 2005 01:26 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

you are right... I shell finish the project as I started.

By the way does enyone knows how many B-24 under romanian colors flew?
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 10, 2005 02:04 pm
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

you are right... I shell finish the project as I started.

By the way does enyone knows how many B-24 under romanian colors flew?

At least 2 B-24 . Check the Tidal Wave topic, page 89.
Below is the link.
http://www.worldwar2.ro/forum/index.php?sh...ic=1613&st=1320

Dan.

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on February 10, 2005 02:14 pm
PM
Devil of the Sky
Posted: February 10, 2005 06:18 pm
Quote Post

Soldat

Thanks Dan! Are there color profiles with liberator 2? I understood by what is wrote there about the camo.. but an arhitect or designer may see with other eyes...

This post has been edited by Devil of the Sky on February 10, 2005 06:39 pm
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 11, 2005 07:37 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

Thanks Dan! Are there color profiles with liberator 2? I understood by what is wrote there about the camo.. but an arhitect or designer may see with other eyes...

For the moment i can help with the cammo for Liberator I ( Boiler Maker II) and soon i will do the color profile for Liberator II ( Honky tonk Gall).

The picture below is courtesy Cornel Nastase.

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on February 11, 2005 07:40 am

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Cantacuzino
Posted: February 11, 2005 07:39 am
Quote Post

Host
Group Icon

For the moment i can help with the cammo for Liberator I ( Boiler Maker II) and soon i will do the color profile for Liberator II ( Honky tonk Gall).

The picture below is courtesy Cornel Nastase.

This post has been edited by Cantacuzino on February 11, 2005 07:41 am

Attached Image
Attached Image
PM
Artur
Posted: February 11, 2005 02:31 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Nice model...and pretty big too, just the way I like them :-)
An interesting question comes to mind.
Supposedly "Bazu" could not come back in his Messerschmitt from Italy because the US did not have compatible fuel for it.
Did the Romanians have compatible fuel for the Liberators to fly them or did they have to specially refine the matching fuel to be used by the machines....just wondering.
Artur
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (5) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0491 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]