Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]   ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Early IAR fighters vs. PZL
Alexandru C.
Posted: February 09, 2014 09:14 am
Quote Post

Caporal

Group: Members
Member No.: 3326

QUOTE (Victor @ January 18, 2011 06:59 pm)
An IAR 14, I beleive
user posted image

Victor or someone else, do you know who are the people in the photo?
Thanks,
Alexandru
PMEmail Poster
lancer21
Posted: December 02, 2014 10:54 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Member No.: 2883

Regarding these early IAR fighters, long time ago when i was back in Romania i have read the IAR 14 article in Modelism at the local library. Unfortunately can't remember much of what i read though i saw yesterday some pictures from that specific issue listed on sale on cartula.ro (which rekindled my interest again!). I also found out that Modelism did an article on IAR 15 and then IAR 16! To those of you lucky to have those issues, may i ask if you would want to relay just a very brief resume of the Modelism articles, what happened to these aircraft, especially IAR 15 (but also the others), when was it scrapped or lost? Apart from the well known pics of IAR 15 on the internet, there is also a new one (to me) of the modified aircraft in mr. Antoniu's Romanian Aeronautical Constructions with a new windscreen, rudder and bulged engine cowling, did it had an IAR K9 engine installed? Are there new pictures in that Modelism issue, if there are, would anyone be willing to scan even a few of them?

Any other details of any sort that anyone have read and would wish to share about these early IAR fighters (IAR CV11, IAR 12, IAR 13, IAR 14, IAR 15 and IAR 16?), or even the SET XV?

Many thanks.
PMEmail Poster
Florin
Posted: December 04, 2014 03:42 am
Quote Post

General de corp de armata

Member No.: 17

According to information that I read once upon a time in Romanian language, in early 1930's Elie Carafoli reached through his own research and work the same type of aerodynamic wing profile (wing cross section) as the American engineers that worked in the same period at NACA.
If I remember right, his research for aerodynamic wing profile was introduced in at least one of the I.A.R. prototypes built in the 1930's.

P.S: I think this is the right topic, for who knows much more than me, to remind which was the the I.A.R. prototype sent to France for testing and never returned to us by the French.

This post has been edited by Florin on December 04, 2014 03:43 am
PM
lancer21
Posted: December 08, 2014 07:35 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Something about SET-XV (or rather derived project?) i re-found, according to Jane's 1933, apart from the 340kph SET-XV fighter, there was also the SIMILAR (fighter biplane?) SET-XX, presumably a project at that time, but with altered upper wing and a Gnome-Rhone K-14 engine! Speed is estimated 380kph. No pictures were provided.

Also, i found this on secretprojects.co.uk:

SET XV [Projects]: various schemes to reinforce fuselage for armament/engines
Alt engines considered incl.: RR Kestrel VI, HS 12Ycsr, Bristol Mercury IX

I know that SET-XX (or is it SET-20) is given as a twin engine 1938 project, but in my opinion, given the example of SET-10 and SET-X (two DIFFERENT aircraft), then it and this SET-XX could have been different projects. Anyone can shed more light about all this!?

Also, regarding IAR-15, was it just one built, or according to other sources, SIX? And what about some sources talking about it being tested or equipped at one point with a 3 bladed propeller?
Finally, you know the picture of it after aforced landing in Romanian Aeronautical Constructions by mr. Antoniu, that looks like a very neat belly-landing, but... where is the landing gear? IAR-15 has a fixed one, but one can't see any trace of it, nor apparent damage to the wing, did it had for instance a jettisonable landing gear (which might have happened in that case), or perhaps at one point it was tested with retractable landing gear?!

Finally, was there an IAR-13? Because apparently, according to recent info (and again, i found in Jane's), the IAR-13 that we know was in fact called IAR-12, or am i completely mistaken on that one?

Thanks for any input.

This post has been edited by lancer21 on December 08, 2014 07:42 pm
PMEmail Poster
Agarici
Posted: December 12, 2014 12:11 am
Quote Post

Maior

Member No.: 522

QUOTE (109 @ March 21, 2005 08:10 pm)
And the 24:

According to the specifications the PZLs were better than the IARs series 11-16
but but were plagued by technical problems.
I remember a story of a Romanian engineer who built a home-made plane
in mid 30' and simply humiliated the PZL 11s that tried to intercept him.

Question for those who have/had acces to/had seen the book: is the airplane from the photo a Romanian PZL 24 (E)? The roundels seem to be placed in 6 positions, which was atypical for Romanian airforce before 1941. Or was it a Greek plane (an F or G) - some of those having the blue-white-blue roundels on the fuselage?
PMEmail Poster
lancer21
Posted: December 12, 2014 03:41 pm
Quote Post

Fruntas

Pretty sure it must be a picture originally showing yellow cross markings that has been retouched, but i need to re-check Romanian Fighter Colours.
The aircraft is definitely an E, it has 2-blade prop and the characteristic engine cowling shape, greek ones are different and have 3-bladed prop.

PS: Yes, the original picture shows crosses and is from 1941, page 39.

This post has been edited by lancer21 on December 12, 2014 03:47 pm
PMEmail Poster
Taz1
Posted: July 14, 2015 08:23 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

Member No.: 2414

Of Topic I don,t want to open another topic I put a question here. Can somebody tell me if the where a plz plane crush in Campulung Arges in 1929 ? The pilot was from Pipera airfield.

Thank you.
PMEmail Poster
Alexandru C.
Posted: July 20, 2015 04:47 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

PZL 11 was available for RRAF in 1934. Do you know the pilot's name? Maybe was another year.
PMEmail Poster
Alexandru C.
Posted: June 12, 2020 07:45 pm
Quote Post

Caporal

QUOTE (Taz1 @ July 14, 2015 08:23 pm)
Of Topic I don,t want to open another topic I put a question here. Can somebody tell me if the where a plz plane crush in Campulung Arges in 1929 ? The pilot was from Pipera airfield.

Thank you.

Hi,
The answer for this old question: Lt. Adrian Adamiu died on 26.09.1929 in Campulung, his colleague Lt. Alexandru Popisteanu was wounded.
Regards
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (3) 1 2 [3]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0291 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]