Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> ptototype IAR 47
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: July 24, 2003 02:34 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Group: Members
Member No.: 53

Dear sirs,

Please tell me something about the prototype of the IAR 47. I don't know anything about it. I saw a picture in several books were only a part of it is shown. (the color photo of the Bf 109E "Nella")
Quite interesting, neither book about ARR is speaking about this prototype.

With gratitude,
B Miclescu
PMMSN
Victor
Posted: July 25, 2003 09:38 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

IAR-47
Wingspan: 12.5 m
Length: 11 m
Height: 3.2 m
Engine: IAR 14Kc32 960 CP
Max. speed: 396 km/h
Practical ceiling: 5,000 m
Crew: 2 (pilot and machine-gunner; no observer like on the IAR-39)
Weapons: 2 7.92mm MGs in the wings and one in the back; 6 60 kg bombs could be added.

The aircraft was similar to the IAR-39, except for the fact that it was a low-wing monoplane and had a smaller cockpit (for 2 instead of 3). IMO it would have been very welcome in the observation squadrons and probably it would have lead fewer losses in these units. I have no idea why it did not enter serial production.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: July 25, 2003 08:09 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Dear sir,

Thank you very much for those specifications. Please tell me, Modelism magazine published something about the IAR 47 already? Or other magazine?

Sincerly yours,
B Miclescu
PMMSN
Victor
Posted: July 26, 2003 09:06 am
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

The info was taken from the book Romanian Aeronautics in the second world war/Aeronautica romana in al doilea razboi mondial by Cristian Craciunoiu and Jean Louis Roba, Modelism, 2003
Bernard Miclescu
Posted: July 26, 2003 10:54 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Just great!!!
Thank you very much.

B Miclescu
PMMSN
Dénes
Posted: July 26, 2003 01:12 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 4

There were (at least) two I.A.R. 47 prototypes.
The first one (with partially glazed side and bottom fuselage) appears in the mentioned colour photos, made by Mr. S. Tulea, while the other one, which resembles more the I.A.R. 80 fitted with long span wings, did not have side and bottom fuselage windows.

Dénes
Iamandi
Posted: January 18, 2005 08:08 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

Member No.: 319

This is a verry interesting subject. Anyone had pictures, or suplementary information? Drawings?

I see at Muzeul Militar National some pictures. Now i dont remember how it looks...

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Ruy Aballe
Posted: January 20, 2005 10:33 am
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Member No.: 247

The only drawing of the I.A.R. 47 I am aware of was published 11 years ago, in an issue of Air Enthusiast. I don't have the magazine at hand right now, but I can check it tonight. The drawing is a side view, clearly described as "provisional". The article is signed by Max Axworthy.

This post has been edited by Ruy Aballe on January 20, 2005 06:52 pm
PM
Iamandi
Posted: January 20, 2005 10:42 am
Quote Post

General de divizie

QUOTE (Ruy Aballe @ Jan 20 2005, 10:33 AM)
The only drawing I am of the I.A.R. 47 I am aware of was published 11 years ago, in an issue of Air Enthusiast. I don't have the magazine at hand right now, but I can check it tonight. The drawing is a side view, clearly described as "provisional". The article is signed by Max Axworthy.

Oh, ho! Look who gives help in that subject! You surprise me hard on this time, Ruy!

I want to read that article - you could give me in PM, if copyright does not allow to be reproduced here?

Thanks,

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Ruy Aballe
Posted: January 21, 2005 12:49 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Oh, ho! Look who gives help in that subject! You surprise me hard on this time, Ruy!

Why, if I may ask, are you so surprised? I am interested in Romanian aeronautics and military history, otherwise I wouldn't be here anyway... As for the article, it was published in a widely circulated British magazine, "Air Enthusiast" (I suppose it is not available in Romania). I don't have it at hand, because most of my older magazine issues are stocked, so to say, at the old parental home... But I can pick it up tomorrow, if needed.
Please note that the article is not devoted solely to the I.A.R. 47. As a matter of fact, it provides an overview on the Romanian aeronautical industry during the war years. Later on (I also have that issue, but can't remember the exact year or number), Dénes published an excellent article in the same periodical on the same subject, but in what concerned the inter-war period.

As for your last question, I suppose copyright rules do not allow me to reproduce an entire article here, only properly quoted excerpts. And the first asertion also applies, I think, to photos, colour artwork or drawings.

Ruy

This post has been edited by Ruy Aballe on January 21, 2005 12:49 pm
PM
Iamandi
Posted: January 21, 2005 12:59 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

QUOTE (Ruy Aballe @ Jan 21 2005, 12:49 PM)
Why, if I may ask, are you so surprised?

Because i espected more from romanian forumists.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Victor
Posted: January 21, 2005 01:09 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

There are several photos, published in the Modelism book I mentioned or in the Modelism International magazine.
Iamandi
Posted: January 21, 2005 01:37 pm
Quote Post

General de divizie

If i remember well were some pictures in Modelism International in a stoopid "quess what plane is", and were with part of the plane, not with entire one.

Iama
PMUsers WebsiteYahoo
Ruy Aballe
Posted: January 21, 2005 02:15 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier major

Iama,

The picture you mention must one of the photos mentioned by Bernard Miclescu and Dénes, in their previous posts in this thread. Maybe some other photos are lurking somewhere, waiting to be discovered by some aviation-minded enthusiast, generous enough to share them with the public via publication. Who knows?...
Cheers,

Ruy
PM
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0269 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]