Romanian Military History Forum - Part of Romanian Army in the Second World War Website

Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last »  ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Odessa campaign
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 07, 2006 03:58 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Group: Members
Member No.: 328

I know you will hate me for this.. but I need to locate Octiabri and Vajni in Odessa sector smile.gif My guess is that they are west of Odessa.
PMUsers Website
Dénes
Posted: January 07, 2006 04:44 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Yes, we hate you, Mytzu ph34r.gif

Oktyabry:
http://www.worldwar2.ro/operatii/?article=7
http://worldwar2.ro/operatii/?article=5&language=en

As for Vajni, I couldn't find a match.
Perhaps you're looking for Yuzhny?

Gen. Dénes

This post has been edited by Dénes on January 07, 2006 05:37 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Victor
Posted: January 07, 2006 06:02 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Member No.: 3

Oktyabry was near Vygoda railroad station, NW of Odessa. See the map:
user posted image
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 07, 2006 08:30 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Thanks you Victor and Denes - I was actually looking for a location on a map - the ones I have do not show these two locations. The names I got from the book Victor recomended to me some time ago (Maresalul I. Antonescu la Odessa). I will probably bother you with some other details smile.gif Thanks again !
PMUsers Website
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 08, 2006 11:50 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

On 10 August, in the sector of the 3rd Corps, the bulk of the 7th Infantry Division reached Elssas, while the Guard Division arrived on the alignment Strassburg - Petra Evdokievka. In the sector of the 5th Army, the 1st Armored Division advanced fast and defeated the Soviet forces at Bol. Buzhalyk, on the Odessa first line of defense.

Any ideea where Bol. Buzhalyk is ? Been looking for it untill my eyes poped out blink.gif
PMUsers Website
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 08, 2006 01:00 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

The 1st Cavalry Brigade took Severinovka and joined the 1st Armored Division. The 10th Dorobanti Regiment defeated the Soviet forces at Lozovaya.

Does anyone know where Lozovaya is unsure.gif should be near Severinovka (which I found)..
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: January 08, 2006 01:43 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Bol. Buzhalyk is to the North of Odessa, on the railroad going Northeast into the Ukraine. It was East of the lakes. I don't think it is represented in many of the maps, as it was pretty far away from the main defensive belts. I gave you some maps a while ago. Look and you shall find it.
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 08, 2006 01:43 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

hmm I am not sure about Karpova:

In order to brake the forward line of defense west of the Hadjibey Bank, lt. general Nicolae Ciuperca conceived a frontal strike to the direction Karpova - Vygoda with the 3rd Corps (3rd, 7th and 11th Infantry Divisions),

I found it in one map from the book "Armata Romana in al doilea razboi mondial" from Muzeul national that Karpova is East-NE of Razdelnaia, but in another map (and comparing with the text found on this website) I found a village with a slightly different but very similar name:

user posted image

So where exactly is Karpova ?

Edited - my bad: in the book from the Military Muzeum, Karpova is not NE of Razdelnaia but SE:

user posted image

So it might just be the same as Bf. Karpowo - what do you think ?

This post has been edited by D13-th_Mytzu on January 08, 2006 01:52 pm
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: January 08, 2006 01:47 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

Karpova/Karpovo are the same thing. There was a village near the station (Novoselvoka) that does not appear in your map.

Btw, the language for this forum is English. Please edit your post accordingly.
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 08, 2006 01:53 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

rgr, thank you Victor - I edited the post before you posted this and corected a mistake I made regarding the direction.
Also corected the part I wrote in romanian - didn't even realise I wrote in romanian lol.
PMUsers Website
Victor
Posted: January 08, 2006 02:10 pm
Quote Post

Admin
Group Icon

"Bf." comes most likely from "Bahnhof", since it is mentioned on a German map. It refered to the Karpova railroad station. Trust me, I have put a lot of study into the Karpova subject lately.
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 08, 2006 02:18 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

Thank you again ! Anything interesting you found out about Karpova from your study ? smile.gif
PMUsers Website
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 08, 2006 03:48 pm
Quote Post

General de brigada

About Octiabri and Vajni again - I found Vajni (it was right there but I was blind) however Octiabri is not shown on that map and from what I have seen on the map posted by Victor it almost "coincide" with Vajni. Can someone please help me place on this map Oactiabri (in relation of Vajni):

user posted image
PMUsers Website
Jeff_S
Posted: January 09, 2006 07:38 pm
Quote Post

Plutonier

Member No.: 309

It looks almost the same same as Vajni... look at Beresen, then go slightly east to the road running North-South, just south of the rail line.

Isn't Octiabri just one of those Communist, "name everything after Lenin or the October Revolution" type of names? Could they be the same place?
PMYahoo
D13-th_Mytzu
Posted: January 11, 2006 09:09 am
Quote Post

General de brigada

Does anyone have Makarovka on a map ? It doesn;t show in my maps.

On 20 August the 21st Infantry Division, deployed in the right flank of the 1st Corps, reached by the evening 2 km northwest of Freudenthal. The Guard Division broke the lines of the Soviet 25th Rifle Division, conquered Kagarlik and Mannheim, and resumed the advance towards southeast, took Vasilyevka village and arrived in the Makarovka area, southwest of Vygoda. At the 3rd Corps, the first echelon divisions were stopped in front of the defense line Makarovka - Vygoda - north of Paleyevka by heavy machine-gun, mortar and artillery fire.
PMUsers Website
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Pages: (6) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.2713 ]   [ 14 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]